• Jul 9th, 2012 10:46 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 26, 2012
423 posts
13 upvotes

Should I do more education?

I just graduated with a degree in Communications and Media. I'd like to get into PR/corporate communications or something related, but I realized too late that this degree didn't give me enough hard skills and I have no experience regardless. I'm not confident in applying for even entry level jobs with only an arts degree.

Since I have nothing to distinguish myself, I've been mulling over the idea of doing a 2 year college diploma on marketing or advertising to get more practical knowledge and hopefully a co-op placement or an internship. This, I figure, would give me the skills, connections, and experience I need to make myself more competitive and be in a better position to land a job. I've also considered a masters for similar reasons. I'm 21.

Does this sound like a good idea? Or would my time be better spent just pounding the pavement, being persistent, and networking like crazy for an entry-level job? Right now I'm working a full-time landscaping summer job.

If you have any other suggestions, like volunteering or switching career paths, feel free.

Thanks.
11 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13841 posts
1337 upvotes
If you're landscaping full-time, you probably realize by now that there are far worse places to be than in school.

For that reason alone I'd say, go for it.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
dsg512 wrote: I just graduated with a degree in Communications and Media. I'd like to get into PR/corporate communications or something related, but I realized too late that this degree didn't give me enough hard skills and I have no experience regardless. I'm not confident in applying for even entry level jobs with only an arts degree.

Since I have nothing to distinguish myself, I've been mulling over the idea of doing a 2 year college diploma on marketing or advertising to get more practical knowledge and hopefully a co-op placement or an internship. This, I figure, would give me the skills, connections, and experience I need to make myself more competitive and be in a better position to land a job. I've also considered a masters for similar reasons. I'm 21.

Does this sound like a good idea? Or would my time be better spent just pounding the pavement, being persistent, and networking like crazy for an entry-level job? Right now I'm working a full-time landscaping summer job.

If you have any other suggestions, like volunteering or switching career paths, feel free.

Thanks.
You are young, I would say go for it!!! And the more schooling you have, will look better to the employers. Also when you do placement, sometimes the employers will hire you on after it is done, if not at least you have a good reference for when you do get out there. Good luck!
Dec 29, 2011
124 posts
6 upvotes
THORNHILL
Hardskills can always be picked up on the job. It is the soft skills, your work ethics that your employer values you when they hire. Of course, it is your interviewing skills and how to market yourself too!

2 years college with coop I said go for it. Coop is always good. You are only 21, don't wait til you are 31.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13841 posts
1337 upvotes
^ Ooh, a zinger. Sick burn.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
May 28, 2012
92 posts
7 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
i got a 2 yr college diploma and now im 28, wished i would've gone to university because there are way more options...

i had to work at the time to pay bills but now im working full time and in school part time, doing online courses to get a bachelor's

if possible i think that's the best way, to work full time while completing school part time....if the option is there
May 28, 2012
11082 posts
3231 upvotes
Saskatoon
No amount of education will help you overcome confidence issues. Advertising and marketing companies will overlook some deficiencies in education if they find a driven and competent individual. There are lots of people who are education-rich and experience-poor. I would only get more education is you need it to get into a specific area. You are still young, more education isn't going to hurt you, but it's so expensive these days...make sure you're not wasting your money.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
150 upvotes
"Should I do more education"

It's should I GET more education. So yes based on how you talk you need more education.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4458 posts
1039 upvotes
dsg512 wrote: I just graduated with a degree in Communications and Media. I'd like to get into PR/corporate communications or something related, but I realized too late that this degree didn't give me enough hard skills and I have no experience regardless. I'm not confident in applying for even entry level jobs with only an arts degree.

Since I have nothing to distinguish myself, I've been mulling over the idea of doing a 2 year college diploma on marketing or advertising to get more practical knowledge and hopefully a co-op placement or an internship.
As a marketing grad and as someone who has worked in the industry for years, my recommendation would be to continue to apply to jobs in public relations and communications. Doing a post-grad/diploma certificate in marketing or advertising (choose one because they're different fields, the former being client side and the latter being agency side) won't give you the education that you're looking for.

You could do a post-grad in either public relations, communications or copywriting and go from there. Regardless of what you choose, you'll still be looking at entry level jobs and there's nothing wrong with that because that's where most of us started.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2012
423 posts
13 upvotes
Mulder and Scully wrote: As a marketing grad and as someone who has worked in the industry for years, my recommendation would be to continue to apply to jobs in public relations and communications. Doing a post-grad/diploma certificate in marketing or advertising (choose one because they're different fields, the former being client side and the latter being agency side) won't give you the education that you're looking for.

You could do a post-grad in either public relations, communications or copywriting and go from there. Regardless of what you choose, you'll still be looking at entry level jobs and there's nothing wrong with that because that's where most of us started.
Yeah that's another thing I have to consider, how much more valuable more education would be in this field.
Mars2012 wrote: No amount of education will help you overcome confidence issues. Advertising and marketing companies will overlook some deficiencies in education if they find a driven and competent individual. There are lots of people who are education-rich and experience-poor. I would only get more education is you need it to get into a specific area. You are still young, more education isn't going to hurt you, but it's so expensive these days...make sure you're not wasting your money.
Thanks. I know I have confidence problems.

Thanks all.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
310 upvotes
Do more education is good for you for sure...when you are still young. if u dont, after a while, u have other committments that may prevent u from more education, or at least harder.
Nov 3, 2011
159 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Mulder and Scully wrote: As a marketing grad and as someone who has worked in the industry for years, my recommendation would be to continue to apply to jobs in public relations and communications. Doing a post-grad/diploma certificate in marketing or advertising (choose one because they're different fields, the former being client side and the latter being agency side) won't give you the education that you're looking for.

He/She is right. You have enough education. Get an internship, work hard, PROVE yourself during that time, and perhaps it might translate into a job there, or at least a good reference. What you need is hard experience, and people to start seeing your value.