Should I followup my interviewer?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2018 7:54 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 15, 2018
1 posts

Should I followup my interviewer?

I had a phone interview with BMO for a CSR position last Wednesday, and an in-person interview last Friday, during which they said I would be contacted the coming Tuesday. They also mentioned that if I don't make the cut for their branch, they would recommend me to other branches that have an opening.

I haven't heard from them since then. Job status on their career site hasn't changed since before the interview, showing the position as neither filled nor "no longer available".

Is this a good time to follow up with the interviewer (who's an HR person) or should I just wait patiently? Thanks in advance for any help!
12 replies
Deal Addict
May 19, 2015
1310 posts
753 upvotes
I would followup but if it's Friday and they were suppose to contact you Tuesday its probably not good news. At least it'll put your mind at ease? Though you never know they may also just be behind. Never hurts to send off a polite email. Good luck OP
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4955 posts
1492 upvotes
0 downvotes
absolutely follow up. it shows dedication and interest in the positition
Hi
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5850 posts
2391 upvotes
Debtario
It doesn't hurt, but I feel it never worked for me honestly. Every follow-up I've sent was never replied to or I'd get a scripted reply afterwards that felt as if they thought I was being impatient.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
4362 posts
2241 upvotes
Someone once mentioned, if they wanted you they would remember you. I personally agree, and do not follow-up. I remember I came in second for a job I applied for (I didn't have the industry knowledge and they needed someone who could hit the floor running so to speak). But a couple months later they were looking to hire another person and I got a call back. Of course, YMMV. Do what your gut says. If you think you did well, then I personally would just wait.

Edit: I suggest applying to other jobs in the meantime. The fact that you got one interview, means that others will want you as well. If you're in your 20'r or a new grad, look into insurance - they are always looking for new talent these days. Sonnet for example starts you off around $50K and 3 weeks vacation
Dec 11, 2013
470 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: absolutely follow up. it shows dedication and interest in the positition
Disagree. It shows weakness.

It really could hurt your salary as well: I had a guy follow up after 4 days, while we were deciding on our offer. I cut $15k from what we were going to pay and offered it right there on the spot. Obviously this wouldn't be that drastic, but you could be started at a different "level".
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8668 posts
2595 upvotes
Mississauga
JFlash20 wrote: Disagree. It shows weakness.

It really could hurt your salary as well: I had a guy follow up after 4 days, while we were deciding on our offer. I cut $15k from what we were going to pay and offered it right there on the spot. Obviously this wouldn't be that drastic, but you could be started at a different "level".
Wow, I wouldn't want to work for you. Maybe the candidate had another offer on their plate and needed an idea of where they stand. But, personally I would not call. If you don't hear from them by their deadline, it's most likely not a good sign.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1036 upvotes
Richmond
I personally wouldn't follow up either. If they want you they will be sure to try every way possible to reach you. You really won't gain anything by reaching out.

The only time I reach out is when I had a better offer somewhere else but I liked the company. Agree with pretty much everything Raggie said, including how JFlash20 sounds like a dick to me.
Dec 11, 2013
470 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
Raggie wrote: Wow, I wouldn't want to work for you. Maybe the candidate had another offer on their plate and needed an idea of where they stand. But, personally I would not call. If you don't hear from them by their deadline, it's most likely not a good sign.
Why? He was happy with the package we gave him, has no idea that it could have been more. He's been an excellent employee since.

He just tipped his hand in regards to how badly he wanted/needed the job, so I knew we could get him for less. It also showed me that there was no other competition for him.

That's business.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8668 posts
2595 upvotes
Mississauga
JFlash20 wrote: Why? He was happy with the package we gave him, has no idea that it could have been more. He's been an excellent employee since.

He just tipped his hand in regards to how badly he wanted/needed the job, so I knew we could get him for less. It also showed me that there was no other competition for him.

That's business.
In that case he's fine with it. If he only knew he could've had 15k.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Dec 11, 2013
470 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
Raggie wrote: In that case he's fine with it. If he only knew he could've had 15k.
If only he wouldn't have called.
Jul 17, 2010
308 posts
342 upvotes
it won't help you. Like other people said, if the hiring manager wants you, you will get the job regardless. Just send a thank you letter with no more than 3 sentences then move on.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4955 posts
1492 upvotes
0 downvotes
maybe an email to thank them for the opportunity is better, it might not get you further in the interview process but it will be more respectful to thank someone for their time, or better yet, YOUR time.
Hi