• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2021 9:18 pm
[OP]
Jul 2, 2013
666 posts
180 upvotes
Aurora

Should I get back into DIablo 3?

I used to play D3 when it first came out. I didnt like the auction house system so I dropped it after a while. I never even purchased ROS.
So now we have a Nintendo Switch and the eternal edition is on sale for $40. Is it worth getting back into?
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9111 posts
3504 upvotes
lehmanr wrote: I used to play D3 when it first came out. I didnt like the auction house system so I dropped it after a while. I never even purchased ROS.
So now we have a Nintendo Switch and the eternal edition is on sale for $40. Is it worth getting back into?
If you have a PS4/PS5 I would recommend that one over the Switch version unless you have a Nintendo Switch Pro controller
(for all players).

The expansions really fixed all the issues the game had when it launched on PC.
The Rifts added by the expansion makes the game more enjoyable and much easier to gain levels/items than in previous Diablo games.
The console version also added the ability to roll. IN previous diablo games it is only optimal to run certain stages over and over again
for loot drops, whereas DIablo III's expansion adds Rifts which make it a lot more spontaneous than running the same level continuously.

Diablo II is getting a remaster with both a completely New graphics style and the ability to toggle to the Old graphics style coming out later this year. It
goes back to the series roots aesthetically so it should be better than Diablo III. Diablo 3 looked to cartoony compared to Diablo 1 & 2.

Aug 20, 2009
8239 posts
3172 upvotes
Grimsby
lehmanr wrote: I used to play D3 when it first came out. I didnt like the auction house system so I dropped it after a while. I never even purchased ROS.
It's a decent game at this point and still has a sizeable multiplayer community. You will probably get more than $40 of entertainment out of it. I did find that the AoE stuff is harder to aim on consoles but its still very playable. The ports were fairly well done too in terms of performance.
Jun 4, 2013
761 posts
252 upvotes
Vancouver
XFactor11 wrote: If you have a PS4/PS5 I would recommend that one over the Switch version unless you have a Nintendo Switch Pro controller
(for all players).

The expansions really fixed all the issues the game had when it launched on PC.
The Rifts added by the expansion makes the game more enjoyable and much easier to gain levels/items than in previous Diablo games.
The console version also added the ability to roll. IN previous diablo games it is only optimal to run certain stages over and over again
for loot drops, whereas DIablo III's expansion adds Rifts which make it a lot more spontaneous than running the same level continuously.

Diablo II is getting a remaster with both a completely New graphics style and the ability to toggle to the Old graphics style coming out later this year. It
goes back to the series roots aesthetically so it should be better than Diablo III. Diablo 3 looked to cartoony compared to Diablo 1 & 2.

I would not get sucked into getting D2 remaster till is out and there are reviews. Remember Warcraft 3 remaster ? It was so buggy and bad blizzard started offering full refunds with no question asked.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1409 posts
461 upvotes
sponge5307 wrote: I would not get sucked into getting D2 remaster till is out and there are reviews. Remember Warcraft 3 remaster ? It was so buggy and bad blizzard started offering full refunds with no question asked.
Diablo 2 remaster is different than the Warcraft 3 remaster. Diablo 2 remaster is just a graphical upgrade built over the original code. You can actually toggle the graphics much in the same way you can with the recent C&C remaster. The problem with the recent Warcraft 3 is that you were forced to play that version of the game even if you bought the original game and preferred that version, you couldn't go back and play it. But yes it's a good idea to wait for reviews of the final product. Seems to be the norm for the gaming industry these days.

Diablo2 4 lyfe!!
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2387 posts
392 upvotes
Bryson wrote: Diablo 2 remaster is different than the Warcraft 3 remaster. Diablo 2 remaster is just a graphical upgrade built over the original code. You can actually toggle the graphics much in the same way you can with the recent C&C remaster. The problem with the recent Warcraft 3 is that you were forced to play that version of the game even if you bought the original game and preferred that version, you couldn't go back and play it. But yes it's a good idea to wait for reviews of the final product. Seems to be the norm for the gaming industry these days.

Diablo2 4 lyfe!!
That was one of the problems with WC3:R. It also wasn't even remotely close to the product Blizzard had advertised and it had a clause in its license agreement that any content created by players within the game was the sole property of Activison-Blizzard.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1993 posts
655 upvotes
Toronto
Diablo 3 holds up very well on the Switch. I would recommend it.
Aug 20, 2009
8239 posts
3172 upvotes
Grimsby
Ascott wrote: That was one of the problems with WC3:R. It also wasn't even remotely close to the product Blizzard had advertised and it had a clause in its license agreement that any content created by players within the game was the sole property of Activison-Blizzard.
I think we've discussed it before but that Remaster was a travesty. They not only grossly under delivered on the advertised product, they actually sabotaged the old client too. It is the only Blizzard game that I've refunded and was a real mark of a shame for them. The old Blizzard killed projects much further along rather than release garbage. They've still done nothing to fix it despite promises, I think it's killed off internally. I really hope it doesn't affect the viability of a Warcraft 4 but perhaps no Warcraft 4 would be a good thing if it's going to end up like WC3:R did.