Automotive

Should I get an Impreza or Crosstrek or stay away from Subaru?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2018 4:52 pm
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
725 posts
173 upvotes
Scarborough

Should I get an Impreza or Crosstrek or stay away from Subaru?

I have limited budget ($30k) and want an AWD for better traction (being an immigrant, not used to driving in snow). Looking at the Impreza or Crosstrek with Eyesight. Now I read that previous Subarus had head gasket issues and one should buy an extended powertrain warranty. Would this still apply to the 2018 models? Please recommend a good Subaru dealer in the GTA?

Would you suggest another car? Looked at the Mazda CX-3 but can't store much luggage and apparently prone to rust, then the Honda HRV seems ideal but it doesn't have any driver assist options. Can't afford the Rav4. Any other ideas please?
112 replies
Sep 21, 2004
9709 posts
3544 upvotes
Calgary
They pretty much fixed the head gasket issues for the last several years, although some Turbo cars still seem to have oil burning problems. Since Impreza and Crosstrek only have NA engines, you should be safe.

My 2016 Forester after 80000 has no issue whatsoever. The new Crosstek and Impreza are excellent buys especially after the redesign.
Apr 15, 2014
511 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Head gasket issue was fixed a long time ago. I’m on my second subaru and after 15 years have never had any mechanical problems.

It goes down to preference. For me, I would go with the impreza hatch over the crostrek just for the slightly better handling.
Please respond
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
725 posts
173 upvotes
Scarborough
Thanks for the reassurance!

How is the handling different between the Impreza and Crosstrek? I'm hoping the Crosstrek will not have me stuck on the DVP because of higher clearance than the Impreza. I'm only used to driving a humble Corolla CE 2007 without ABS and ABS is supposed to be safer for icy roads.

Also the financing is 0.99% for 24 months for both of them till end January. Do you think this incentive will go away or will improve? Just wondering what the best months are for dealer incentives for these little AWD's. Strange question I know, but can one pay off the entire loan without penalty (e.g. if I get a year-end bonus from work) - much like a home loan or am I stuck with the 24 months? The APA is quoting they can help buy at $900 over invoice price for the Impreza - is this a good deal?

And - is there such as thing as car greed or car envy? The more I look, the more features I desire - and no, I don't have more money ...........sigh! How do you restrain yourself from getting a higher end model, when it turns out that if I take a longer pay period, I can almost get there? Don't need it, hence the greed question!
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2369 posts
444 upvotes
Winnipeg
Who gets stuck at dvp ? And why...
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10508 posts
4152 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I would suggest that you drive both of them and see how you feel about it. Both cars are basically identical in most ways as they are based on exactly the same platform with the major difference for most people being the amount of clearance under the car. So, if you live on a block that rarely gets timely plowing, you should get the Crosstrek as it will have enough clearance to get through most conditions.
Feb 7, 2008
760 posts
250 upvotes
Okanagan
love Subarus and used to own one (forester)... just hate dealing with their salesmen
Mar 6, 2010
726 posts
82 upvotes
Incentives will be improved along the time for sure. Subaru will typially have the best incentives from May for the current year model. Stock can ve very limited after August. Another thing to mention is the Class B yearly oil change can be really expensive. Around 500 in Calgary since they serve the brake and check the engine, air condition filter. The price tag on that is kind of rediculous.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2393 posts
847 upvotes
Catnippy wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 12:32 pm
I have limited budget ($30k) and want an AWD for better traction (being an immigrant, not used to driving in snow).
You should not be relying on AWD in Southern Ontario. AWD helps you start moving, it does not help one iota in stopping.

Any FWD car with winter tires should be just fine, assuming you are not driving on unploughed roads going up mountains regularly.

If you're... in this frame of mind, buy a cheap old car for the first couple of years until you are used to the conditions, rather than risking a brand new one.
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
49216 posts
14548 upvotes
How about the Forester, I think it doesn't come with the boxer engine so not a lot of complaints about excessive motor oil consumption?
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2650 posts
1536 upvotes
Montreal
Crosstrek is basically an Impreza hatch on stilts, you are paying several thousands more for the "SUVness". For 30k budget I'd go with Impreza hatchback.

And yes, winter tires.
Dec 15, 2015
532 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
jzmtl wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 7:05 pm
Crosstrek is basically an Impreza hatch on stilts, you are paying several thousands more for the "SUVness". For 30k budget I'd go with Impreza hatchback.

And yes, winter tires.
Isn't the for the forester built on the imprezza platform and the crosstek on the legacy?
Apr 5, 2017
298 posts
230 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
verby wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 5:52 pm
love Subarus and used to own one (forester)... just hate dealing with their salesmen
Classic

I bet I know why. They know the cars practically sell themselves, and at MSRP or higher. I once shopped at a Subaru dealer...and it was just that. They may as well set it up as an auction at that point.

My friend who bought a one year old 2015 WRX with 25xxx km's at the time may have got hosed, I think they paid about 35k for it. Yeah yeah they hold value, still silly it went for what a new one goes. Although, the WRX was a fully loaded CVT (auto) Sport Tech that was $39k new and a few nice extras thrown in. And it has been a nice DD for them. I've been driven around in it a good few thousand KM and enjoyed being a passenger in it.
Sep 21, 2004
9709 posts
3544 upvotes
Calgary
TheMaterial wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 7:10 pm
Isn't the for the forester built on the imprezza platform and the crosstek on the legacy?
No, both the current Forester and last gen Crosstrek were based on last gen's Impreza platform. The new Impreza and Crosstrek are based in the new SGP (Subaru Global Platform). The new 2019 Forester and all future new Subaru Models including Ascent will be based from SGP as well.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2650 posts
1536 upvotes
Montreal
TheMaterial wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 7:10 pm
Outback is Legacy.

Forester is bigger while Crosstrek is almost carbon copy of Impreza hatch.