• Sep 22nd, 2020 12:44 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1086 posts
14 upvotes

Should I get a P20 Pro now ?

I am using a Xiaomi Mi Note 10 Lite but would like to get a Huawei P20 Pro phone. Will I still be getting security patches from huawei over the next few years ?

If you were me, will you get it for 200 bucks ?

Please kindly advise ASAP.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18785 posts
8461 upvotes
Oakville
The P20 Pro is no longer on Huawei's list of phones guaranteed to get updates. I'm not sure if they're even getting updates *now*, nevermind going forward.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
2246 posts
668 upvotes
Whitehorse
I wouldn't. I have lots of issues with my P20 Pro and nobody seems to able to fix them. Updates take forever, including security fixes. There may be no more updates coming through either.

Yes, the camera is good, but overall it is not a phone I would buy again.

Today, I just found another super hidden setting under some misleading label where Huawei allows itself to target me with location based ads. It is a not a company to be trusted.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4572 posts
953 upvotes
Scarborough
If you like Huawei, then get the P30 Pro. Last phone to still have Google Services support (without sideloading). The P30 Pro's camera is still has good as the S20 phones considering that its been out almost 2yrs.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18785 posts
8461 upvotes
Oakville
GateGuardian wrote: If you like Huawei, then get the P30 Pro. Last phone to still have Google Services support (without sideloading). The P30 Pro's camera is still has good as the S20 phones considering that its been out almost 2yrs.
Yup, the P30 Pro camera is a BEAST. I gave my P30 Pro to the wife, I just wasn't a fan of Huawei's Android flavour... But damn do I ever miss that camera.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4572 posts
953 upvotes
Scarborough
wearysky wrote: Yup, the P30 Pro camera is a BEAST. I gave my P30 Pro to the wife, I just wasn't a fan of Huawei's Android flavour... But damn do I ever miss that camera.
Oh I hate EMUI. Too fake iphone-esk. I just install nova launcher to make it look more like stock android. I'm don't tinker much on my phone, but nova launcher was pretty easy to set up. Also, it's much easier to set up when I get a new phone.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18785 posts
8461 upvotes
Oakville
GateGuardian wrote: Oh I hate EMUI. Too fake iphone-esk. I just install nova launcher to make it look more like stock android. I'm don't tinker much on my phone, but nova launcher was pretty easy to set up. Also, it's much easier to set up when I get a new phone.
I installed Nova too, but my issue was more with Huawei's hyper aggressive power saving.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4572 posts
953 upvotes
Scarborough
wearysky wrote: I installed Nova too, but my issue was more with Huawei's hyper aggressive power saving.
Yeah, it is a pain. I always have to go into each new app and turn off the power-saving mode.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18785 posts
8461 upvotes
Oakville
GateGuardian wrote: Yeah, it is a pain. I always have to go into each new app and turn off the power-saving mode.
I had found an XDA thread talking about disabling some Huawei services to make it a bit less aggressive, but yeah, still had to manually stop it from force-killing a whole bunch of apps all the time, I kept missing notifications of incoming messages and the like.