Automotive

Should I get rid off my car? or keep it? (AT 70K KM)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2019 9:12 am
Tags:
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 24, 2011
879 posts
441 upvotes

Should I get rid off my car? or keep it? (AT 70K KM)

Hey guys
I have 2015 Hyundai Sonata top of the line version
just recently this car warranty has ended.
It has 70000 km mileage on it, and pretty mint.

I just have to spend $1500~2000 to change all 4 tires and brakes as they are kinda gone.

I was debating whether I should keep this car for few more years or trade in for around $15k value.

I heard many bad news regarding Hyundai 2.0T engines recently, so i'm kinda afraid if this car will even last that long.

What do you guys think?

Loan has been paid off 100%, so this car is fully owned now.
73 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 27, 2014
5265 posts
2255 upvotes
At some point the turbo is going to go.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35534 posts
21591 upvotes
Center of Universe
ar2020 wrote: At some point the turbo is going to go.
What point would that be?
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18737 posts
6784 upvotes
Toronto
Are you sure you are going to get $15K? More like $13K.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4578 upvotes
Alberta
ar2020 wrote: At some point the turbo is going to go.
x2. I’ve had 2 turbo cars in the past and both blew the turbos and we’re out of warranty. And I didn’t even drive them hard either. I will never buy another car with a turbo engine.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16004 posts
17253 upvotes
Oakville
jackrabbit000 wrote: x2. I’ve had 2 turbo cars in the past and both blew the turbos and we’re out of warranty. And I didn’t even drive them hard either. I will never buy another car with a turbo engine.
Synthetic oil changed regularly? Which cars?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
13859 posts
8909 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Trade it in for a Corolla...Preferably Beige.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1759 posts
293 upvotes
engineered wrote: Synthetic oil changed regularly? Which cars?
Out of curiosity , how is Synthetic oil change linked to Turbos.
I do not like Turbos as well, Naturally aspired engines have been there for ages and working nice.
I have a 7th Gen Accord, still going strong. Recently had to fix the rear suspension but nothing happened to DriveTrain yet..Drives so smoothly. I dont think we have examples of Turbo engines running for that long ( over 15 years)
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
11566 posts
3825 upvotes
Toronto
jackrabbit000 wrote: x2. I’ve had 2 turbo cars in the past and both blew the turbos and we’re out of warranty. And I didn’t even drive them hard either. I will never buy another car with a turbo engine.
Don't be too generalized. I drove my last Mazdaspeed3 2007 with 2.3L turbo for 9 years, it had 150000km until I sold it because I wanted something newer. My other buddy got his until 200k KM.

Also, a lot of N/A 4cycl or V6/I6 cars comes with a Turbo these last years. Civic, Accord, 328i, C300, A4, CRV, etcccccccc

Who was the 2 Turbo cars that you had and Turbo blewed?
ESJExplorer wrote: Hey guys
I have 2015 Hyundai Sonata top of the line version
just recently this car warranty has ended.
It has 70000 km mileage on it, and pretty mint.

I just have to spend $1500~2000 to change all 4 tires and brakes as they are kinda gone.

I was debating whether I should keep this car for few more years or trade in for around $15k value.

I heard many bad news regarding Hyundai 2.0T engines recently, so i'm kinda afraid if this car will even last that long.

What do you guys think?

Loan has been paid off 100%, so this car is fully owned now.
OP, it is sad that you paid probably 40k for a Top of the line brand new Sonata and planning to sell it after only 3-4 years at 70k km because of reliability concern. You were better off lease it.
Next time if you have doubt about a car's reliability, lease one, don't buy.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2873 posts
1178 upvotes
GTA
It's not a beige corolla so it's already worthless

/RFD
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 24, 2011
879 posts
441 upvotes
I will get about $15k based on 2 dealers so far.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35534 posts
21591 upvotes
Center of Universe
CocoJambo wrote: Out of curiosity , how is Synthetic oil change linked to Turbos.
I do not like Turbos as well, Naturally aspired engines have been there for ages and working nice.
I have a 7th Gen Accord, still going strong. Recently had to fix the rear suspension but nothing happened to DriveTrain yet..Drives so smoothly. I dont think we have examples of Turbo engines running for that long ( over 15 years)
Oil is fed to the turbo(s).
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 24, 2011
879 posts
441 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Trade it in for a Corolla...Preferably Beige.
I don't know, do you guys think it's worth to get another car or just keep driving this car for another whatever years HOPEFULLY...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35534 posts
21591 upvotes
Center of Universe
ESJExplorer wrote: I will get about $15k based on 2 dealers so far.
Are you sure those trade in quotes, are not based on you buying a new vehicle, in which they will probably work that loss into your deal?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16004 posts
17253 upvotes
Oakville
CocoJambo wrote: Out of curiosity , how is Synthetic oil change linked to Turbos.
I do not like Turbos as well, Naturally aspired engines have been there for ages and working nice.
I have a 7th Gen Accord, still going strong. Recently had to fix the rear suspension but nothing happened to DriveTrain yet..Drives so smoothly. I dont think we have examples of Turbo engines running for that long ( over 15 years)
Oil cools and lubricates the turbos. Synthetic is generally better in every way.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
13859 posts
8909 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Sell car now to get higher $$ for a Corolla. If ya keep on waiting, your car going to depreciate even more.
ESJExplorer wrote: I don't know, do you guys think it's worth to get another car or just keep driving this car for another whatever years HOPEFULLY...

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Sr. Member
Jun 14, 2009
566 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
I drive a 9yr old turbo vehicle... Bought new as well... In my case I intend to keep the vehicle until it's truly dead... Depreciation happens fastest in early years of the vehicle. So truly your call on what you value more: the cost of your time (for repairs, bring to shop) or the cost of a new vehicle. I'm willing to "waste" time having my own car fixed, so I keep. I also work from home a lot so I have such flexibility... I don't find you mileage to be that high. But again subjective call based on your circumstance. Eg patience for repairs, willing to take depreciation "hits" on brand new vehicle, etc
Sr. Member
Dec 10, 2007
632 posts
462 upvotes
Arviat
Depends on what you plan to replace it with?
Remember when you liked what you currently have
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 25, 2015
1118 posts
487 upvotes
York Region
Run it to the ground. 70km is nothing and you will "lose" so much money on a trade-in. Sure, turbo could fail next week or in 5 years.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1928 posts
694 upvotes
Kitchener
Think of it this way. Lets say you buy a new car for 30k and get 15k for your trade. You'll finance the remaining portion over the next x years for about 300-400 a month depending on the term you select. So every month your spending 300 in the hopes of avoiding a large repair bill in the future. If the turbo was to go in 6 months, which is highly unlikely and it needs replacement you'd have to pay around 2k for repairs. But if you bought a new car you would have spend over 2k in payments, in the hopes of not having a repair. It just doesn't make sense. You would be smarter to just bank the money and if the car has a turbo issue in the future you would have more than enough saved to repair. This is assuming the turbo goes in the near future which considering your mileage you probably have another 70k in kms before having to worry about it.

Top