Home & Garden

Should I go for a 1959 house in Chateauguay, QC?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2018 12:49 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 28, 2012
21 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto

Should I go for a 1959 house in Chateauguay, QC?

So I'm house hunting for a the first time and there's a nice house listed at nearly 260k but it's from 1959. There have been many renos inside, but I know appearances can be deceiving. The sellers mentioned that there might be some asbestos in the old tiles under the floor in the basement, but that they were told by an inspector it's not a concern as long as you don't break those tiles. They also said that the rainwater made the sum pump go off a couple of times last spring.... like how big of a concern is this??!

It's definitively overpriced but these 2 things are making us wonder if we should even consider it. In terms of renos and design, it's definitely one of the best we've seen, but we don't want to just go by appearances.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33799 posts
7444 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
The sump pump is not a concern. You can regrade the exterior if it is a concern.

The asbestos is more of a concern for me.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2344 posts
1065 upvotes
Edmonton
As long as the tiles aren't disturbed, no issues. You could even install something on top , if you wish.
Sump pump is working and that's good.

In a house of that vintage the electrical will be solid copper, but if the service hasn't been upgraded, you might want to look into that.
The plumbing might have some issues, the stack should be cast iron (good), the water feed lines copper (very good), the waste lines might be galvanized (bad) and the sewer line no-corrode (VERY bad).
The construction should be solid, with real 2x4 and solid plywood (no OSB).
If the foundation has not had issues, then there won't be any - ever, unless there is an outside factor.

Attic insulation should have been upgraded decades ago, you might think about replacement/upgrade depending on what they did.
Wall insulation might be minimal, if it has been upgraded/added watch out for 70's vintage spray foam in the cavities.

All being said, you're probably going to be getting a much better built house in a much more established area.

IMHO
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7392 posts
4664 upvotes
Victoria, BC
mialove wrote: So I'm house hunting for a the first time and there's a nice house listed at nearly 260k but it's from 1959. There have been many renos inside, but I know appearances can be deceiving. The sellers mentioned that there might be some asbestos in the old tiles under the floor in the basement, but that they were told by an inspector it's not a concern as long as you don't break those tiles. They also said that the rainwater made the sum pump go off a couple of times last spring.... like how big of a concern is this??!

It's definitively overpriced but these 2 things are making us wonder if we should even consider it. In terms of renos and design, it's definitely one of the best we've seen, but we don't want to just go by appearances.
Why would a sump pump going off be a concern? That's what it is supposed to do. If it didn't go off then that would be a concern and you would have flooding. Get a backup pump just in case, and be happy.
As for the asbestos, I wouldn't care as long as I'm not going to be pulling the tiles up.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1330 upvotes
At this rate you will never get a house. Pffft about some silly Armstrong resilient tiles and a sub $100 sump pump ...what a generation of snowflakes !
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1366 posts
799 upvotes
ottawa
EdT586 wrote: At this rate you will never get a house. Pffft about some silly Armstrong resilient tiles and a sub $100 sump pump ...what a generation of snowflakes !
Hey hey hey.... Not everyone is a snowflake. Lucked out grabbing a 70 year old house after the couple living there had a divorce. The older the house the bigger the excuse you can give the wifey to buy more tools.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1330 upvotes
barqers wrote: Hey hey hey.... Not everyone is a snowflake. Lucked out grabbing a 70 year old house after the couple living there had a divorce. The older the house the bigger the excuse you can give the wifey to buy more tools.
Not aimed specifically at the OP, just the current public in general these days !