• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2020 4:00 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 19, 2008
196 posts

Should I go on EI?

I’m hoping to get some sound advice from anyone who can offer it.

I work a commissions/sales based job. The job does have a base salary but I haven’t been on it since I started. Due to Covid-19, I’m not making as much commissions and with the way things are going, it’s not looking good.

My job has cut my hours in half, but they are letting let us go into the negative for personal time off to keep our paycheques in the same range as it was before all this happened. But even once I’ve maxed out the extra PTO, due to the lack of commissions, my paycheque is still going to be pretty crappy. And now I’m going to owe my company PTO.

Do you think this is worth it or am I better off going on EI? I’m thinking of asking my job to put me on temporary lay off until things are back to normal.

I’ve never been in this position before and have never been on EI. Can anyone offer advice or guidance here?

Thanks.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35513 posts
21562 upvotes
Center of Universe
Nonchalant_ wrote: I’m hoping to get some sound advice from anyone who can offer it.

I work a commissions/sales based job. The job does have a base salary but I haven’t been on it since I started. Due to Covid-19, I’m not making as much commissions and with the way things are going, it’s not looking good.

My job has cut my hours in half, but they are letting let us go into the negative for personal time off to keep our paycheques in the same range as it was before all this happened. But even once I’ve maxed out the extra PTO, due to the lack of commissions, my paycheque is still going to be pretty crappy. And now I’m going to owe my company PTO.

Do you think this is worth it or am I better off going on EI? I’m thinking of asking my job to put me on temporary lay off until things are back to normal.

I’ve never been in this position before and have never been on EI. Can anyone offer advice or guidance here?

Thanks.
Is your company planning to apply for wage subsidy?
[OP]
Jun 19, 2008
196 posts
vkizzle wrote: Is your company planning to apply for wage subsidy?
I was told they are looking into it to see what the company qualifies for, but haven’t heard any updates.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1606 posts
2280 upvotes
West
Nonchalant_ wrote: I was told they are looking into it to see what the company qualifies for, but haven’t heard any updates.
This is part of the problem. Companies are unwilling to commit to it, and the government hasn't released enough details for them to do so. Part of this is because the proposal hasn't passed the opposition yet, but it is a frustrating situation for all.

These are your options:

1) Apply to EI - you qualify for EI if your earnings have dropped to below 50% of normal - legally, this is considered "laid off" territory, and EI will top-up your wages earned, while allowing you to stay at work. Your application will likely be moved to option #2 automatically, if necessary.

2) Wait a few days - there is supposed to be some announcement in the "coming days" of how CERB will apply to situations like yourself. If you can afford to, I would wait until the end of the week. If you can make an application through CERB, you will likely get your money faster than option #1.