Real Estate

Should I make a complaint if one of the building securities was disrespectful?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2023 10:37 pm
[OP]
Jul 31, 2018
92 posts
144 upvotes

Should I make a complaint if one of the building securities was disrespectful?

I'm a new condo owner and I don't want to cross the wrong people, so I'm seeking some advice on how to handle this situation. I rented out one of the bedrooms and my tenant was moving in. I didn't book the elevator in advance as she told me she would only bring a few luggage but no furniture. But it turned out she brought a car load of luggage. When I was helping her transporting the luggage, we were stopped by a board member who said it was against safety code to block the exit and he was going to report it to the security. The security then got involved and started scolding me for not booking and elevator in advance. Even after apologizing and promising to do better next time, he kept lording over me with intense words - it's been so overwhelming. My guess is that the board member scolded him for not doing his job by stopping me so he took it out on me.

When I reflect this incident afterwards I think It's unacceptable that I was treated with such disrespect by the building security! As a homeowner, I deserve some respect from the management. Does anyone have any advice on how to report this behaviour? I feel that they are too eager to appease to the board while forgetting that they are ultimately serving the homeowners.
27 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2013
1058 posts
1688 upvotes
Somewhere over the r…
Honestly, I would forget it. It's not worth it to piss of the gatekeeper. You have to live there.

Ultimately you screwed up and even if you were treated unfairly just move on. How overwhelming could it possibly be?
Deal Addict
May 10, 2008
1394 posts
1440 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I would just let it go and move on. Some buildings might fine you for something like this but it looks like you lucked out and just got a verbal beating.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
10149 posts
4423 upvotes
Vaughan
It’s your fault, not book moving elevator. The security ís doing the job. Read the condo booklet, dos and don’ts.

One of our condos, PM sent out email, the security/concierge who get abused by people.
Last edited by teoconca on Jan 2nd, 2023 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7686 posts
6868 upvotes
The board member (who is the head honcho to the security let security know you were breaking the rules and asked him to do something)

Who are you going to complain to? The PM who works for the Board?

Unless they were verbally/physically abusive or something racist etc...I don't think you'll get anywhere. You broke the rules, got reprimand... Just Move on

Being an owner is like people saying they're a taxpayer and somehow that makes their complaint more valid lol
Jan 4, 2019
985 posts
1114 upvotes
You dont mention what the security guard says, it seems like they were just doing their job?

You already got the "respect." Your tenant finished moving in. You mentioned breaming codes...they could have told you to come back later with the elevator booked.

Sounds like everything "worked out" and they did you a solid.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3055 posts
3433 upvotes
GTA
That is the thing with condos you are an owner but you don't really own. Anyways this sounds like the kind of building I would like to live in. Enforcement of rules which seems many condo buildings today neglect.
Sep 23, 2011
473 posts
756 upvotes
Vaughan
Would you have preferred if he respectfully told you to stop moving the tenant in until you book the elevator and you had to wait a week?
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
2847 posts
3406 upvotes
You've gotten your answer clearly. All I'll add is when in the next few months you go rushing late to the elevator and some dude is moving his funny Swedish named furniture against elevator rules and you want to rant (either here or in real life), maybe don't.
Jun 24, 2016
483 posts
276 upvotes
Toronto
Do you understand your mistake can cause his to loose his job.

If you do understand the above consequences then move on.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
4344 posts
10222 upvotes
45° 36' 44.9964'' N …
"we were stopped by a board member who said it was against safety code to block the exit and he was going to report it to the security"

I would except that the board member will present the security guards report of the incident , to the board at the next meeting and they will approve a fine for the violation of the rules . Fine will be in the mail in the coming weeks.

Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5310 posts
5427 upvotes
Ottawa
Wow. Tough crowd.

The security person is expected to remain professional in their interactions with the owners at all times. If you feel that the security personal failed to maintain professionalism while interacting with you then by all means take your concerns to the board. At no point should any one on the condo board nor any staff be disrespectful toward any board member.

It is unfortunate that you were caught off guard by your friend's actions. It is also unfortunate that the board member chose to deal with it the manner in which they did. The board member could have used the opportunity to build good will amongst all owners and offered you solutions instead of reporting your actions to security. There are always solutions when level headed people remain calm and seek them out to create harmonious living conditions rather than creating a culture of conflict.

Unfortunately not a great welcome to you or your room mate as new condo owners. An epic fail imo.
Sep 23, 2011
473 posts
756 upvotes
Vaughan
skeet50 wrote: Wow. Tough crowd.

The security person is expected to remain professional in their interactions with the owners at all times. If you feel that the security personal failed to maintain professionalism while interacting with you then by all means take your concerns to the board. At no point should any one on the condo board nor any staff be disrespectful toward any board member.

It is unfortunate that you were caught off guard by your friend's actions. It is also unfortunate that the board member chose to deal with it the manner in which they did. The board member could have used the opportunity to build good will amongst all owners and offered you solutions instead of reporting your actions to security. There are always solutions when level headed people remain calm and seek them out to create harmonious living conditions rather than creating a culture of conflict.

Unfortunately not a great welcome to you or your room mate as new condo owners. An epic fail imo.
Lol come on... Broke the rules, got caught and reprimanded. Then came here for sympathy - "I deserve some respect". So the OP knew they were breaking the rules and instead of going to security to see if they can help, disrespected the other residents by clogging the elevator.

Raise this at the annual meeting if it was so bad.

P.S. Many, probably me included would have done the same with the hope of getting away with it (probably at late evening/night to be at least somewhat mindful of others). But coming here with the sob story is funny.
Dec 28, 2010
898 posts
394 upvotes
Toronto
yughred wrote: I'm a new condo owner and I don't want to cross the wrong people, so I'm seeking some advice on how to handle this situation. I rented out one of the bedrooms and my tenant was moving in. I didn't book the elevator in advance as she told me she would only bring a few luggage but no furniture. But it turned out she brought a car load of luggage. When I was helping her transporting the luggage, we were stopped by a board member who said it was against safety code to block the exit and he was going to report it to the security. The security then got involved and started scolding me for not booking and elevator in advance. Even after apologizing and promising to do better next time, he kept lording over me with intense words - it's been so overwhelming. My guess is that the board member scolded him for not doing his job by stopping me so he took it out on me.

When I reflect this incident afterwards I think It's unacceptable that I was treated with such disrespect by the building security! As a homeowner, I deserve some respect from the management. Does anyone have any advice on how to report this behaviour? I feel that they are too eager to appease to the board while forgetting that they are ultimately serving the homeowners.
Tough crowd here for sure and I hope you understand it was your wrong doing first, that triggered the response of others doing their job (a real job that pays their bills).
With that said, condos always have rules and many are broken everyday to accomodate residents. No one wants to have bad mood or cross each other, when they live under same address.
As you suggested yourself, perhaps that person's was in stress as the authority (board member) directed then to their job. The very job that they might get fired from. So they might have been stressed, video cameras etc, fear and adrenaline are sometimes not good combo. And so, ultimately they did their job but executed it poorly ..i.e customer service part.

If you can, have the courage to acknowledge that perhaps, take a coffee or small gesture for them and have a chat that you understood it was your mistake and were caught into this at the wrong time/wrong situation- you couldn't turn away someone at door and glad the security also did not give an ultimatum to do the same. But, the same time felt embarrassed with the interaction you had with them and expected more courtesy. You do feel they do a good job for all the residents.

That might help in building some good faith and a great start to 2023 !

In hindsight, the best managed condos/apartments have the strictest security/mgmt and it really helps in long run to manage the structure as well the residents/tenants etc.

Good luck and happy new year !!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
5017 posts
5135 upvotes
Richmond Hill
wait.... there is question of what is being move.
OP mention "car load of luggage"
if it is just luggage , does it really need to book elevator?

some "board member" for whatever reason THINK they are so superior.

Let me give you example:
My mother in-law live in a condo by herself. She have 2 parking spot (Side by side). My father in law passed away already, so only have 1 car. So one spot is always empty, when we go visit her, we park there instead of using visitor parking.

One day she came home , there was a car parking on her empty spot. So go talk to security. Security won't do anything.
She let it go (as senior) 2nd day, same car park there, she talk to security, Security told her he WILL NOT do anything.
3rd day, same. I get to over to get involve. The Security again told me he WILL NOT do anything, I should talk to the management office.
The management office told me the car was the board member's family.

I ask to have the car remove NOW.
couple phone call later, the board member show up at the management office, ask me "WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL? That parking spot always empty, no one use it anyway. YOU KNOW WHAT? I GIVE YOU $100 a month and you shut the F up!!!!

I call police, they won't do anything because it is comment area of private property.
Security and Management office won't do shit.
I call towing company, they said they will tow it if I sign paper I will be full responsible for any damage of the car.
Call police again , they talk to the board member for good 20min before he agree to move the car.

When he leave he told me: REMEMBER, I AM THE BOARD MEMEBER!!! YOU ARE JUST A NO BODY!!!!
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Jun 16, 2016
273 posts
301 upvotes
ottawa
cheapshopper wrote: wait.... there is question of what is being move.
OP mention "car load of luggage"
if it is just luggage , does it really need to book elevator?

some "board member" for whatever reason THINK they are so superior.

Let me give you example:
My mother in-law live in a condo by herself. She have 2 parking spot (Side by side). My father in law passed away already, so only have 1 car. So one spot is always empty, when we go visit her, we park there instead of using visitor parking.

One day she came home , there was a car parking on her empty spot. So go talk to security. Security won't do anything.
She let it go (as senior) 2nd day, same car park there, she talk to security, Security told her he WILL NOT do anything.
3rd day, same. I get to over to get involve. The Security again told me he WILL NOT do anything, I should talk to the management office.
The management office told me the car was the board member's family.

I ask to have the car remove NOW.
couple phone call later, the board member show up at the management office, ask me "WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL? That parking spot always empty, no one use it anyway. YOU KNOW WHAT? I GIVE YOU $100 a month and you shut the F up!!!!

I call police, they won't do anything because it is comment area of private property.
Security and Management office won't do shit.
I call towing company, they said they will tow it if I sign paper I will be full responsible for any damage of the car.
Call police again , they talk to the board member for good 20min before he agree to move the car.

When he leave he told me: REMEMBER, I AM THE BOARD MEMEBER!!! YOU ARE JUST A NO BODY!!!!
WTF

I think you called the wrong people. Police nor condo management won’t do shit. should call the city by law. It’s 311 in ottawa and the bylaw officer usually come quick. Show proof that you own or rent the spot, you can choose either ticket only, or ticket+tow
Churning: CIBC Aventura VI *2, CIBC Aeroplan VI
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7686 posts
6868 upvotes
skeet50 wrote: Wow. Tough crowd.

Solution was telling security to do their job and enforce the rules (good) and then telling OP they need to book an elevator for moving (good) but instead of going by the book (deny use of elevator, book it like the rules state and tell them come back next time ) let them finish the move

The board member (or anyone living there really) did the correct thing to advise security someone is breaking the rules (no different than leaving garbage in garbage room instead of down the chute) and then security did their job but still was reasonable and let them finish the move

Why would you say board member or security was not professional?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
3720 posts
1642 upvotes
Security was doing the proper job. Board member was doing the proper job. You were the only person who broke the rule and crying about it.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
3498 posts
1389 upvotes
Toronto
I would forget about it. You should have booked the elevator.

I wish my landlord helped me move Face With Tears Of Joy