Home & Garden

Should I mow before overseeding?

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2018 2:35 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2011
1360 posts
1022 upvotes
Whitby

Should I mow before overseeding?

I'm looking to overseed my lawn by throwing some top soil and seeds over it but as I walked through my lawn noticed the grass is really thick (I should have mowed a bit before winter kicked in I guess) so am wondering if I overseed over the current grass is it ok or should I mow my lawn to ensure the new top soil and seeds have contact with the ground. Suggestions from people who have experience in overseeding the lawn in spring is much appreciated.
15 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 4, 2006
2572 posts
144 upvotes
mow before overseeding is what I've always done.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2011
1360 posts
1022 upvotes
Whitby
Insider wrote: mow before overseeding is what I've always done.
Thanks, is it Ok to mow now as long as the lawn is dry or should I wait? I don't want to damage the grass by mowing earlier than I can. Btw I'm located in Toronto.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1326 posts
689 upvotes
TORONTO
It's a bit premature right now.

But yes, mowing dry grass is best as wet grass will get pulled out. Cut as low as possible without destroying the existing grass. If you overseed on long grass then it would be harder for the new seeds & soil to make contact to the ground. I mean you can still overseed on long grass, you're going to have to rake the seeds & soil so its through the longer grass.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 4, 2006
2572 posts
144 upvotes
agree with above, still too early to mow.
give your grass a nice solid rake before you begin your upkeep for the year.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
5784 posts
2546 upvotes
Durham
abshahul wrote: Thanks, is it Ok to mow now as long as the lawn is dry or should I wait? I don't want to damage the grass by mowing earlier than I can. Btw I'm located in Toronto.
Mowing in March? hahaha!

Try at least after Easter.

It really depends on how long the grass is.

You need to see it "sort of grow" first ... ie ... let the mother nature warm up first. Then you start seeing so green and they are happily sticking up in the air reaching for the sky.

Otherwise mowing a flat lawn means nothing except wasting your time.

You gotta give it some time to get used to the warmer weather ... whenever it comes.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2011
1360 posts
1022 upvotes
Whitby
AV-Fishing wrote: Mowing in March? hahaha!

Try at least after Easter.

It really depends on how long the grass is.

You need to see it "sort of grow" first ... ie ... let the mother nature warm up first. Then you start seeing so green and they are happily sticking up in the air reaching for the sky.

Otherwise mowing a flat lawn means nothing except wasting your time.

You gotta give it some time to get used to the warmer weather ... whenever it comes.
I'm a first time home owner so have zero experience maintaining a lawn. Like I said in my OP, am planning to overseed so want to know how effective it will be without mowing as my grass is really really thick.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1326 posts
689 upvotes
TORONTO
abshahul wrote: I'm a first time home owner so have zero experience maintaining a lawn. Like I said in my OP, am planning to overseed so want to know how effective it will be without mowing as my grass is really really thick.
Your grass is thick. Should only really overseed in areas where it's thinned. But it could also mean there's something causing it to be thinned or spotty. But you wont really get an idea until spring comes.

Relax, I know it's exciting when you move into your new home. Just wait and you'll see the older lawn threads be revived and you'll get a lot of information. It's still cold right now and I'm pretty sure we're going to get hit by some more snow.

My first year in my home i did so much to my grass. It flourished and looked amazing. The next year I tended to it during the spring and that was it. As much as a nice lush green lawn looks there needs to be constant maintenance, ie. watering. The fire you feel now will soon die and will look for the least maintenance intensive ways to maintain your lawn.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2011
1360 posts
1022 upvotes
Whitby
akswun wrote: Your grass is thick. Should only really overseed in areas where it's thinned. But it could also mean there's something causing it to be thinned or spotty. But you wont really get an idea until spring comes.

Relax, I know it's exciting when you move into your new home. Just wait and you'll see the older lawn threads be revived and you'll get a lot of information. It's still cold right now and I'm pretty sure we're going to get hit by some more snow.

My first year in my home i did so much to my grass. It flourished and looked amazing. The next year I tended to it during the spring and that was it. As much as a nice lush green lawn looks there needs to be constant maintenance, ie. watering. The fire you feel now will soon die and will look for the least maintenance intensive ways to maintain your lawn.
Agree with the initial fire part :) , hope I can keep it going. My lawn had lot of weeds late last summer so in an attempt to remove them manually with root it has lot of dead spots and also major part of my lawn was yellowish for which I assume I need to put fertilizer, am I right?
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1326 posts
689 upvotes
TORONTO
abshahul wrote: Agree with the initial fire part :) , hope I can keep it going. My lawn had lot of weeds late last summer so in an attempt to remove them manually with root it has lot of dead spots and also major part of my lawn was yellowish for which I assume I need to put fertilizer, am I right?
I don't think fertilizer will help with the yellowing. It could be lack of water. Fertilizer might burn the grass. But overseeding will definitely help with the weeds.

I personally overseeded in spring. Lots of seed and lots of topsoil. It's debatable on what brand to get. I try to keep cost down on top soil and get the cheap stuff from HD, usually $1-2 a bag of top soil. Get decent seeds. Let grow... and after that it's just spot treating areas and manual removal of weeds. Weeds should be less when all the overseeding has grown in.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 10, 2015
1972 posts
824 upvotes
Elgin, ON
You have near 2 months to research this question. It is way too early to think about putting seed down.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2011
1360 posts
1022 upvotes
Whitby
akswun wrote: I don't think fertilizer will help with the yellowing. It could be lack of water. Fertilizer might burn the grass. But overseeding will definitely help with the weeds.

I personally overseeded in spring. Lots of seed and lots of topsoil. It's debatable on what brand to get. I try to keep cost down on top soil and get the cheap stuff from HD, usually $1-2 a bag of top soil. Get decent seeds. Let grow... and after that it's just spot treating areas and manual removal of weeds. Weeds should be less when all the overseeding has grown in.
Perfect, thanks for all the inputs.
Member
Mar 16, 2008
225 posts
32 upvotes
GTA
I would probably start raking/dethatching the lawn in the next 2 weeks to loosen up the grass and remove any leaves/pinecones that might be matted into the ground. I guess you can also put down some fertilizer with preemergent weed preventer after you raked. 6-8 weeks later around May 24, when the temperature has warmed up, I would put down soil and overseed.

I wouldn't use the 99cent bags of soil but you also don't need expensive soil. Top soil or triple mix works. Usually a sale at lowes for $2 a bag in the spring.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2011
1360 posts
1022 upvotes
Whitby
Anomaly_X wrote: I would probably start raking/dethatching the lawn in the next 2 weeks to loosen up the grass and remove any leaves/pinecones that might be matted into the ground. I guess you can also put down some fertilizer with preemergent weed preventer after you raked. 6-8 weeks later around May 24, when the temperature has warmed up, I would put down soil and overseed.

I wouldn't use the 99cent bags of soil but you also don't need expensive soil. Top soil or triple mix works. Usually a sale at lowes for $2 a bag in the spring.
Thanks, I have bought pot soil already for $3.50 per bag, hope it's good enough.

Top