Personal Finance

Should I negotiate a converted CAD to US Offer Letter?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2021 2:39 pm
[OP]
Aug 21, 2007
161 posts
28 upvotes

Should I negotiate a converted CAD to US Offer Letter?

I received an offer letter from a US based company at the end of 2020 and I have been WFH since here in Canada. At the time, the offer letter was presented in CAD as well as insurance and other things were Canadian. However, now I am in the process of moving down to the states to work and I am being offered a slightly different offer letter but in USD, also for VISA purposes etc. The conversion rate being applied here is from the date of the initial offer letter(i.e. end of 2020) and not the current rate. Of course, the CAD is much stronger now and was wondering if it is worth negotiating here to bump up the salary which is now presented in USD? Any other things I should consider when a change of contract like this happens as its my first time.
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8758 posts
1695 upvotes
lilVC wrote: I received an offer letter from a US based company at the end of 2020 and I have been WFH since here in Canada. At the time, the offer letter was presented in CAD as well as insurance and other things were Canadian. However, now I am in the process of moving down to the states to work and I am being offered a slightly different offer letter but in USD, also for VISA purposes etc. The conversion rate being applied here is from the date of the initial offer letter(i.e. end of 2020) and not the current rate. Of course, the CAD is much stronger now and was wondering if it is worth negotiating here to bump up the salary which is now presented in USD? Any other things I should consider when a change of contract like this happens as its my first time.
If it's a big corp it might've just been an oversight and if it's a letter from HR directly, then they are definitely not on top of it. Ask that the rate gets adjusted or else you'll be regretting it. The worst that they could say is no and you'll at least know that you tried.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2002
3015 posts
217 upvotes
Oakville
If it's a US based company the initial CAD offer they gave you was based on what they were willing to pay you in USD.
The CAD has changed but what they are willing to pay hasn't.
At least that's how they would look at it.