Should I pass this tenant application?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2023 1:00 pm
[OP]
Jul 25, 2013
135 posts
38 upvotes

Should I pass this tenant application?

A tenant send me application for a unit after viewing the unit remotely via video conference. However he didn’t provide DOB or copy of ID. He said he has privacy concern and can show me ID when meet in person. He only provide a screen shot of credit report summary, not even show his legal name on the report. I couldn’t pull his credit report myself due to lack of information.
Should I just move on and not waste my time on the application?
Thanks!
15 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
27049 posts
11485 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Pass.

You can't run a background check without ID.
Seeing it in person means nothing unless you have a good memory and can memorize all the info on a quick glance.

And he can fake a good credit rating screenshot.

He has more red flags than RedFlagDeals.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1834 posts
2849 upvotes
Stouffville ON
Very hard pass.
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7650 posts
3442 upvotes
Absolute minimum requirement:

record of employment
last 3 pay stubs
landlord reference
credit check

Call the employer and last landlord to verify (as best as you can) that what you're being told is accurate.

Extras:

social media background check (as best as you can)
proof of insurance and any utility transfer if they aren't included before handing over the keys

Personally, I do all of the above before I hand over any keys. I use SingleKey for my tenant screening.

I don't know where you are, but in Ontario, once they've signed and have the keys, you better have crossed the 't"s and dotted the "i"s.

Don't fall for any sob stories or excuses.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1147 posts
654 upvotes
cfcbug wrote: A tenant send me application for a unit after viewing the unit remotely via video conference. However he didn’t provide DOB or copy of ID. He said he has privacy concern and can show me ID when meet in person. He only provide a screen shot of credit report summary, not even show his legal name on the report. I couldn’t pull his credit report myself due to lack of information.
Thanks!
the tenant has provided no verification
not sure if you are serious... this is clearly a hard pass
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
3740 posts
1659 upvotes
cfcbug wrote: A tenant send me application for a unit after viewing the unit remotely via video conference. However he didn’t provide DOB or copy of ID. He said he has privacy concern and can show me ID when meet in person. He only provide a screen shot of credit report summary, not even show his legal name on the report. I couldn’t pull his credit report myself due to lack of information.
Thanks!
No. I am not wasting my time on this.
[OP]
Jul 25, 2013
135 posts
38 upvotes
Thanks for all the reply. I am in Ontario and I know its very hard to remove the tenant if anything goes wrong. I”lol pass this applicant. Better safer than sorry.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4080 posts
2564 upvotes
Ottawa
cfcbug wrote: Thanks for all the reply. I am in Ontario and I know its very hard to remove the tenant if anything goes wrong. I”lol pass this applicant. Better safer than sorry.
I'm sure he's just paranoid but I don't want such a person as tenant either.
Jul 22, 2015
142 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto, ON
https://www.singlekey.com/credit-background-check/

Send the tenant an email to complete the credit screening then verify ID in person.

They say never to trust the applicant’s copy of the credit report; do your own check and if they refuse, skip their application - not worth the risk.

Read up on SOLO on Facebook- lots of good tips in screening prospective tenants etc.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50568 posts
14939 upvotes
ONTARIO
Thanks!
100% pass.

Those are huge red flags.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
3503 posts
1396 upvotes
Toronto
Unfortunately the rental market works both ways. Due to the inability to remove a problem tenant, ensure you're very strict on your screening.
If the tenant doesn't like the "privacy" issues, they may have an easier time renting outside Ontario.
Penalty Box
May 31, 2020
244 posts
438 upvotes
Those are all valid concerns from a tenant perspective and the fact that you’re considering this shows you’re probably bleeding out money while your unit stays empty.

Why not validate everything in person and pull up a report on the spot in person.

Any renter with half a brain would not send all this information over a zoom session with someone who can just claim to be a landlord and steal their identity.
Full Time Realist
Penalty Box
May 31, 2020
244 posts
438 upvotes
Those are all valid concerns from a tenant perspective and the fact that you’re considering this shows you’re probably bleeding out money while your unit stays empty.

Why not validate everything in person and pull up a report on the spot in person.

Any renter with half a brain would not send all this information over a zoom session with someone who can just claim to be a landlord and steal their identity.
Full Time Realist
[OP]
Jul 25, 2013
135 posts
38 upvotes
JohnT35315 wrote: Those are all valid concerns from a tenant perspective and the fact that you’re considering this shows you’re probably bleeding out money while your unit stays empty.

Yes. I agree. I should have mentioned that I am working with an property management company. He filled the application form and sent to the company but leave the most important info blank. The agent asked if he would agree to send information to singlekey as someone recommended here for us to see his credit report, he said he has already found an unit. LOL.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
27049 posts
11485 upvotes
Socially Distanced
cfcbug wrote: Yes. I agree. I should have mentioned that I am working with an property management company. He filled the application form and sent to the company but leave the most important info blank. The agent asked if he would agree to send information to singlekey as someone recommended here for us to see his credit report, he said he has already found an unit. LOL.
Always nice when the problem solves itself.
Its not like you will have problems finding other renters if your rent is competitively priced.

This is random but he gives me a sovereign citizen vibe.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people