Careers

Should I reapply to a job I turned down a year ago?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2015 6:33 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 4, 2007
413 posts
157 upvotes
Vancouver

Should I reapply to a job I turned down a year ago?

Last year July I got laid off and I found a company that offered me a job shortly afterward. I had to turn it down as my salary continuance paid me more than the salary I was offered. Now that my salary continuance is about to come to an end this month, should I reapply at that company again or should I look elsewhere? At my age (late 50's) there's not much available out there in SaaS positions and it feels awkward to reapply there. What's your opinion?
12 replies
Dec 25, 2006
370 posts
62 upvotes
Waterloo
40Niner wrote: Last year July I got laid off and I found a company that offered me a job shortly afterward. I had to turn it down as my salary continuance paid me more than the salary I was offered. Now that my salary continuance is about to come to an end this month, should I reapply at that company again or should I look elsewhere? At my age there's not much available out there in SaaS positions and it feels awkward to reapply there. What's your opinion?
Yes, it is awkward but you can reapply. What do you have to lose? If the hiring manager is the same and still remembers, it may not work out but who knows?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38209 posts
24390 upvotes
Center of Universe
Shouldn't have turned it down, as your previous employer would have not followed up on whether you found new employment; to cut off your salary continuance.
At the end of the day, you need work and should just apply and see what happens.
If it's a place with a high turnover rate; they likely won't even remember you.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2007
413 posts
157 upvotes
Vancouver
vkizzle wrote: Shouldn't have turned it down, as your previous employer would have not followed up on whether you found new employment; to cut off your salary continuance.
That did cross my mind a while back. I discussed this with a potential employer and he suggested that same idea. At that time I thought he was checking what my integrity, scruples etc was like. I didn't want to take that chance and get caught.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3897 posts
2321 upvotes
Halifax
Reapply, and don't make a big deal about it. Hiring manager will probably not even remember you unless you did something really off the wall in the hiring interview.

I did that before. I did not like the hours offered in the interview, and I already had a job, so I politely declined the job. A year later, I was unemployed, and the odd hours were no longer as big a deal, so I re-applied, never mentioned I was applied before, and got hired anyway. If a company needs you, and have reasonable confidence you are not going to make the company look bad, they will hire you.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5431 posts
1737 upvotes
You have nothing to lose. Of course, if you have other options, then pursue other options.

Awkward is just a feeling. It'll fade away soon. You'd feel worse if you're unemployed and no salary continuance.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5624 posts
1486 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
The worst is they will say no. lol

Also, remember that companies hire people to make money. Regardless of how you were to them if they need someone and can't find someone better, you'll be fine.
Accountant (Public Practice)
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Environmental Services
  • Road Construction
  • Transportation & Logistics
  • Tax & Financial Analysis
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1484 upvotes
Pickering
Doing nothing right now means you aren't going to get the job anyway. Like BananaHunter said, awkward is just a feeling.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2007
413 posts
157 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks for all of your replies, guys. I'm going to go for it as I've got nothing to lose.

I've been crafting an email to my contact and would like a critique on it:

"Dear Joe,
It has been a few months since we last spoke to each other regarding my opportunity to becoming a client service representative at X Company.

I was wondering if that offer would be still be on the table?

As you may remember, I was given a generous salary continuance by my previous employer. My decision to decline your offer at that time was because it wasn't financially viable for me to give up the salary continuance.

During the last few months I've come to learn how salaries have fluctuated in this current job market. While we couldn't come to terms on salary earlier, I'm equipped now with a better understanding of where the market is, and I think we could reach an agreement that we'd both be happy with."
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5624 posts
1486 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I don't have experience in your field... but don't feel the need to mention your exact motives... especially if you're saying you didn't take it because you took another offer that paid more. Would just ask if there is a similar opportunity available at this time.

40Niner wrote: Thanks for all of your replies, guys. I'm going to go for it as I've got nothing to lose.

I've been crafting an email to my contact and would like a critique on it:

"Dear Joe,
It has been a few months since we last spoke to each other regarding my opportunity to becoming a client service representative at X Company.

I was wondering if that offer would be still be on the table?

As you may remember, I was given a generous salary continuance by my previous employer. My decision to decline your offer at that time was because it wasn't financially viable for me to give up the salary continuance.

During the last few months I've come to learn how salaries have fluctuated in this current job market. While we couldn't come to terms on salary earlier, I'm equipped now with a better understanding of where the market is, and I think we could reach an agreement that we'd both be happy with."
Accountant (Public Practice)
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Environmental Services
  • Road Construction
  • Transportation & Logistics
  • Tax & Financial Analysis
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9473 posts
1606 upvotes
No issues. Rogers keeps wanting to hire my GF for jobs... she has turned them down on 4 separate occasions (salary too low).
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
[OP]
Jan 4, 2007
413 posts
157 upvotes
Vancouver
Update: Received a reply back from that employer and he's still interested in me. :D He also told me that never filled that position.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)