Banned
Dec 28, 2017
47 posts
25 upvotes

should I take this offer

Current position

$107k annually full-time + basic health/dental benefits
4 weeks vacation
very flexible ( can almost work from home everyday)
people are leaving and no replacement , I'm the only person in my Team in Canada (over seeing production)
small software company, and losing businesses

New offer
$71/hour ,40hours/weeks. 1 year contract (around 145k annually without holidays etc?)
possible extension or hiring by the end of the term with benefit
Oil&Gas Industry
need 1.5 hour commute everyday ($1500 expenses annually)
No heath /dental benefits (cost $200-300 monthly for a family of 4)??

never really taken any contract work before, so some of the stuff I'm not sure about. The main doubt I have is the lost of job security since there is no guarantee that they will make the role a full-time afterward. But then I guess there is no job security for both contract vs full-time nowaday.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2342 posts
1139 upvotes
Ottawa
Personally the $ is not the most important thing so I would need more information before deciding.

Is the new offer a promotion? Totally different industry but will you have more responsibility, more subordinates etc or is it the same job but a different industry?

Second question is about the industry. Does the industry matter to your job. In other words will you now be an Oil and Gas person or is your job irrelevant to the industry? Oil and Gas is on the one hand a bit cyclical but also a good industry in Canada and opens up a lot of travel possibilities if that interests you. Of course if you are IT support or something the actual industry is irrelevant.

Finally the commute is not only the expense but the time. Is that 45 minutes on a train where you can read and relax or 45 minutes sitting in traffic. Also a big difference. Personally that would kill me but many people wouldn't think twice. Think about how it would effect you.

Buying your own health and dental insurance is probably not worth it so you might as well pay cash.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11502 posts
7791 upvotes
Edmonton
I wouldn’t say that your current job sounds very secure at all.

I would consider the other position, in particular if you’re in a market where contract opportunities are easy to come by. You do need to plan for down time between contracts, and you also need to take into account the fact that you won’t get paid for any time off. Statutory holidays, sick days, vacation days...

C
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
112 posts
69 upvotes
Really comes down to whether you need the extra money, which is what, extra 20 to 30k after taxes?

Neither job seems secure, but you lose benefits and insurance I'd assume with the contract.

1.5 hour commute isn't bad but depends on the type of commute (car, subway, go train, ttc bus?)

I'd stick to current job and try to get another permanent job with higher salary unless you really need the money.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9043 posts
2899 upvotes
helloworld121 wrote: Current position

4 weeks vacation
people are leaving and no replacement , I'm the only person in my Team in Canada (over seeing production)

New offer
$71/hour ,40hours/weeks. 1 year contract (around 145k annually without holidays etc?)
Oil&Gas Industry

never really taken any contract work before, so some of the stuff I'm not sure about. The main doubt I have is the lost of job security since there is no guarantee that they will make the role a full-time afterward. But then I guess there is no job security for both contract vs full-time nowaday.
Is the paid vacation important to you?
Does your spouse, have benefits through her/his workplace?
1.5 hours total or each way?
Discomfort is your friend
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4634 posts
1135 upvotes
Wat
If you're the only person left in Canada, wouldn't you be secure as long as you had some business?

Ride it out until you get a package?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34510 posts
20548 upvotes
Center of Universe
Big hint...other employees are leaving your company and business is not growing.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14774 posts
2747 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
helloworld121 wrote: Current position

4 weeks vacation

New offer
Oil&Gas Industry

stay in your current job.. with benefits, its worth more than your contract
Jan 23, 2010
36 posts
8 upvotes
North York
Keep the current position. The 1.5 hour commute everyday is not worth your time, it would be a deal breaker for me.