Cell Phones

Should missing bands 13 and 17 be a dealbreaker?

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2019 9:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2297 posts
1812 upvotes
Ottawa

Should missing bands 13 and 17 be a dealbreaker?

I'm looking to get a new phone within the next couple of months. My initial choice was the P30 Pro but ever since their future adroid development went bleak, I've been looking at alternatives. The Xiaomi Mi 9 caught my interest with its flagship specs, good camera, and below flagship price. The only thing I'm concerned about is its lack of support for Bands 13 and 17.

For the people who are currently using non-mainstream phones with limited bands, should I be worried about missing two of the lower frequency bands? For context, I'm in Ottawa and am on Videotron who primarily uses Bands 4 and 17, but can end up roaming on Rogers, and sometimes Bell/Telus networks.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3583 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto
im using 2 phones, redmi note 7 global version (which should be similar to mi9 with restricted bands), and a sony xperia xz2 compact which had no restricted bands. i use speakout/fido combo and i live in toronto. my daily commute is on a fixed route involving a train (go transit)

what i find is that for the most part, the xiaomi redmi note 7 performs pretty much the same in terms of LTE coverage. however, there are areas where the sony performs better in terms of reception, but that involves dead zones where reception can be wonky in he first place even for the sony

so long story short: i wouldnt worry if you stay in a developed area as it works the same, but if you enter an area where the reception is wonky, a phone with unrestricted bands will likely catch a signal abit better (though not foolproof).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2297 posts
1812 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for you input. I'm in a well covered area most of the time, but I do use my phone as a GPS with google maps and waze when I go on trips. Not sure if I want to trust a phone with limited bands for those times... though I suppose I can just pre-download the area maps.
Maybe I'll get a used restricted band phone to try out before shelling out $650 on the Mi9.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1371 posts
1491 upvotes
Chrno wrote: I'm looking to get a new phone within the next couple of months. My initial choice was the P30 Pro but ever since their future adroid development went bleak, I've been looking at alternatives. The Xiaomi Mi 9 caught my interest with its flagship specs, good camera, and below flagship price. The only thing I'm concerned about is its lack of support for Bands 13 and 17.

For the people who are currently using non-mainstream phones with limited bands, should I be worried about missing two of the lower frequency bands? For context, I'm in Ottawa and am on Videotron who primarily uses Bands 4 and 17, but can end up roaming on Rogers, and sometimes Bell/Telus networks.
It is highly dependant on your location. The best way is trying it, the second best way is to check this map https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html and see if you have any location that you gets around for a long time that only provides Band 13 and Band 17 tower.
Long as you have an alternative tower in the location you frequently visit you probably won't notice any difference.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2297 posts
1812 upvotes
Ottawa
Cucumference wrote: It is highly dependant on your location. The best way is trying it, the second best way is check this map https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html and see if you have any location that you gets around for a long time that only provide Band 13 and Band 17 tower.
I was checking that map earlier. I wish there's a way to filter by bands. It would really help to see the individual bands' density.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3583 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto
i dunno how rural you go, but if you end up roaming on a rogers coverage area you should be fine for the most part. anywhere along the golden horse-shoe should be fine (i just drove to the states this past long weekend), but i have yet to go to cottage country

and as a sidenote, the xiaomi redmi note7 global version works with roam mobility just fine in the states with LTE connections. it was not possible before with older xiaomi phones such as mi5/mi6