Computers & Electronics

Should my CAT6 & COAX go through my UPS surge protection?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 7:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2393 posts
345 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON

Should my CAT6 & COAX go through my UPS surge protection?

In early December I added a new UPS to keep our modem, NVR and Lutron Hub running during a power loss. The UPS is CP1500AVRLCD and it has the ethernet and coax connections on it. The only "service" in our home is cable internet. Should I pass my incoming coax line through this and if I do is this something that might slow down my internet connection? As well, is it worth running my ethernet through it or again am I risking a slow down as a result? If it is a good idea to pass the ethernet through where is the proper placement of the UPS? Would it be modem -> UPS -> router ?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
3 replies
Dec 12, 2009
37 posts
11 upvotes
Guelph, ON
The cable should already be grounded at the demarcation point. The UPS MIGHT affect high speed internet. Try running some speed tests with it connected and disconnected at the same time of day to see if there is any difference.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3383 posts
2285 upvotes
The coax cable jacket should already be grounded, It's less likely that you would get a surge on the signal lead, but a protection circuit could help in that less likely case. They typically use a component called a transorb. It normally presents a high resistance like an open circuit, but when hit with enough voltage it suddenly turns into a conductor that can ground a lot of current, protecting devices on the line from the high voltage. It's intended as a a one-time-use component, damaged by being activated. It would reduce the signal strength very slightly on your coax line.
Jul 6, 2009
304 posts
54 upvotes
Exp315 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 4:08 pm
It's intended as a a one-time-use component, damaged by being activated. It would reduce the signal strength very slightly on your coax line.
Any protector that fails on a first surge is a scam. Effective protectors remains functional for many decades after many direct lightning strikes. And typically cost tens of times less money than magic box, plug-in devices.

Anyone can read protection numbers on that UPS. How many joules does it claim to 'block' or 'absorb'? Effective protection always answers this question. Where do hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate?

Now read UPS specification numbers. Since most who recommend it also ignore such numbers. It says why scams work.

Your cable provider will recommend not connecting a protector to their cable. Others have said why. It has no protector. It must have a low impedance (ie less than 3 meter) hardwire connection to single point earth ground. Every phrase in that sentence describes critically relevant facts. Not just any earth ground. It must be single point earth ground. Low impedance also means no sharp wire bends, no splices, no metallic conduit, etc.

Best protection means no protector. TV cable connects direct to earth since no protector need make that connection. Notice what an effective protector does. It never does protection. It only connects a surge harmlessly (it never fails) to earth ground when a wire cannot make that connection directly . So your telephone and AC electric wires must make that same low impedance (ie less than 3 meter) connection - via a protector.

Effective protection is never performed by any magic box inside the structure. Protection is always about connecting that current (not voltage - current) to single point earth ground BEFORE it can enter. If a surge is not inside, then best protection inside every appliance (dishwasher, clocks, furnace, LED & CFL bulbs, refrigerator, smoke detectors) is not overwhelmed. If anything inside needs protection, then everything needs that protection.

Effective solution always answers this question. Where are hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly absorbed? A protector is only as effective as its earth ground.

What needs most of your attention? Single point earth ground. What do the technically naive never discuss because advertising must avoid discussing it? Single point earth ground. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. That UPS has no earth ground. Wall receptacle safety ground clearly is not earth ground.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)