Automotive

Should a new battery start in -35 without being plugged in?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2021 8:50 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6246 posts
1921 upvotes

Should a new battery start in -35 without being plugged in?

I thought I had my car plugged in last night but didnt. It was -35 last night. It turned over a bit but not even close to starting. I then plugged it in for three hours and it still start, maybe something wrong with my block heater?

Nonetheless I bought this battery about a month ago from CT. Should it be starting in this weather?
23 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35247 posts
21225 upvotes
Center of Universe
What's the CCA rating?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6246 posts
1921 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: What's the CCA rating?
740 at zero 600 at -18
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35247 posts
21225 upvotes
Center of Universe
baz5 wrote: 740 at zero 600 at -18
Shouldn't be an issue then.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6246 posts
1921 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Shouldn't be an issue then.
Do I take it back or is there anything I can do?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12153 posts
6700 upvotes
Brampton
You probably drained the cell on that intiially attempt. -35 is hard on the battery and everything else. You pretty much have one shot if the battery has been sitting a long time.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6246 posts
1921 upvotes
tebore wrote: You probably drained the cell on that intiially attempt. -35 is hard on the battery and everything else. You pretty much have one shot if the battery has been sitting a long time.
It wasn't sitting too long. I mean I drove it a few days ago. Then tried it in the morning and it wouldn't start.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35247 posts
21225 upvotes
Center of Universe
baz5 wrote: Do I take it back or is there anything I can do?
Get a load test at CT.
If it's defective, you'll get replacement.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1624 posts
730 upvotes
Ontario
baz5 wrote: I thought I had my car plugged in last night but didnt. It was -35 last night. It turned over a bit but not even close to starting. I then plugged it in for three hours and it still start, maybe something wrong with my block heater?

Nonetheless I bought this battery about a month ago from CT. Should it be starting in this weather?
You plugged in the block heater or a battery charger?
If it was the block heater then its probably just your oil/coolant/etc getting to thick to start. Oil etc gets very thick at those temps, esp non-synthetics.
If it was your battery then it could be a draw on it pulling it down, made far worse by the extreme cold. A charge will warm it up some by the process as long as it hasn't frozen..
·Ï¢årµ§·
Jul 29, 2019
369 posts
247 upvotes
Have you tried pressing the gas pedal while turning on the car? I had that work before on the second try after the car refusing the start on the first go. It sounds like you have tried multiple times so it may not even work for you. Definitely check it out at Canadian Tire.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6246 posts
1921 upvotes
IcarusLSC wrote: You plugged in the block heater or a battery charger?
If it was the block heater then its probably just your oil/coolant/etc getting to thick to start. Oil etc gets very thick at those temps, esp non-synthetics.
If it was your battery then it could be a draw on it pulling it down, made far worse by the extreme cold. A charge will warm it up some by the process as long as it hasn't frozen..
Was block heater.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1594 posts
795 upvotes
-35 is hard on a car and it's components.

I would not think it's abnormal.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1624 posts
730 upvotes
Ontario
baz5 wrote: Was block heater.
Yes, everything was probably just frozen up in the engine, block heaters are a must at those temps imho...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Aug 30, 2020
666 posts
1023 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Yes it should start. I've started a car, although it cranked slowly, in - 35C or colder with 4-6 year old batteries even.

I just replaced the battery in my car in June with a 650CCA AGM. It started today in - 35C and cranked fast and hard as hell.

I say your battery is defective or bad quality. A lot of CT batteries are garbage compared to ones from Costco or WalMart
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6246 posts
1921 upvotes
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: Yes it should start. I've started a car, although it cranked slowly, in - 35C or colder with 4-6 year old batteries even.

I just replaced the battery in my car in June with a 650CCA AGM. It started today in - 35C and cranked fast and hard as hell.

I say your battery is defective or bad quality. A lot of CT batteries are garbage compared to ones from Costco or WalMart
I brought it there already because I was having issues, they tested it and said it was fine.
Oct 10, 2020
549 posts
298 upvotes
baz5 wrote: It wasn't sitting too long. I mean I drove it a few days ago. Then tried it in the morning and it wouldn't start.
Your engine is frozen solid in < -25c. I can hear a ticking noise from the block when I just plugged in the block heater. Synthetic oil in the engine? Remember ...

Aug 30, 2020
666 posts
1023 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
baz5 wrote: I brought it there already because I was having issues, they tested it and said it was fine.
Did you actually get to see the test results? CT has been known to avoid honoring battery warranties

In comparison, WM and Costco don't even bother with tests. Keep receipt and bring in battery for replacement or pro-rated refund, no questions asked
Oct 10, 2020
549 posts
298 upvotes
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: Did you actually get to see the test results? CT has been known to avoid honoring battery warranties

In comparison, WM and Costco don't even bother with tests. Keep receipt and bring in battery for replacement or pro-rated refund, no questions asked

Not all WM.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15682 posts
16836 upvotes
Oakville
baz5 wrote: I thought I had my car plugged in last night but didnt. It was -35 last night. It turned over a bit but not even close to starting. I then plugged it in for three hours and it still start, maybe something wrong with my block heater?

How old is your battery? Has it ever been drained?
Do you regularly dive over 30min?
Do you regularly charge it with an intelligent charger?