Parenting & Family

Should we get our new builds floors cleaned before baby comes?

[OP]
Banned
Jan 15, 2019
66 posts
49 upvotes

Should we get our new builds floors cleaned before baby comes?

Hi all

I’m not sure the best place to ask this aside from creating a new post. Apologies.

We’re moving into a new build in November. Babe is coming in January.

We have hardwood downstairs and carpet upstairs. The nursery will be upstairs.

Would you all suggest having the carpets power cleaned before the baby arrives? I’m not sure how well the builder cleans them before handing it over and I’m not sure if I should be concerned with any lingering toxins in the carpet — both since it’s a brand new carpet but also because of all the dust and debris that could have gotten into the carpet over the last month or so of construction.

Cheers
3 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12818 posts
2919 upvotes
Toronto
username6 wrote: Hi all

I’m not sure the best place to ask this aside from creating a new post. Apologies.

We’re moving into a new build in November. Babe is coming in January.

We have hardwood downstairs and carpet upstairs. The nursery will be upstairs.

Would you all suggest having the carpets power cleaned before the baby arrives? I’m not sure how well the builder cleans them before handing it over and I’m not sure if I should be concerned with any lingering toxins in the carpet — both since it’s a brand new carpet but also because of all the dust and debris that could have gotten into the carpet over the last month or so of construction.

Cheers
I don't see why not. There's got to be plenty of dust around. No need to lace your house with chemicals (that's what cleaners are unless you're using something like vinegar).
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4604 posts
1833 upvotes
GTA
Why not move in and then see what condition the floors are in and go from there? When we moved into our new build the builder paid to have all of the ducts cleaned. After that, we did a thorough vacuuming of the carpet areas and mopped/swept the tiles and hardwood. It was totally fine after that and we had a newborn at the time.

If there is debris or something considerable to deal with then sure, have it professionally done but I doubt it'll be necessary.