Fitness and Nutrition

Shoulder popping/clicking during rotation?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2020 12:02 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10994 posts
1165 upvotes
Squamish

Shoulder popping/clicking during rotation?

Recently I've noticed my shoulder popping/clicking during movement, especially during arm rotations (small circles at arm extensions beside body). It's only my right shoulder. I can bear weight on it, zero pain, but it feels weird/has me a bit concerned.

When I do the rotation, the popping is at the top of my shoulder, almost next to the collar bone area? It doesn't happen always/right away, but once it starts happening it seems to continue with every rotation.

Structured workouts/exercises are a newer thing to me (thanks pandemic!) but I am otherwise very active with everything from hiking to skiing to sports.

Any ideas what's happening? Should I be concerned?
6 replies
Feb 13, 2017
127 posts
27 upvotes
if no pain or reduced range of motion i wouldn't be concerned at all no
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3052 posts
526 upvotes
Toronto
Get an assessment from a sports physiotherapist once things open up again.

If you want to get ahead and do some work on "shoulder health", add mobility movements like shoulder dislocates, dead hangs and band pull-a-parts to your routine.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6556 posts
2244 upvotes
Vancouver
Although I may know a few reasons, I rather not state them as if I am wrong, you may listen and then injure yourself further. To many factors, including your age can come in play. I would strongly suggest you visit a therapist for evaluation. I could be something simple and harmless, but no reason to ignore it
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3052 posts
526 upvotes
Toronto
Retrodude wrote: Give it a try:

First Athlean-X video ever that didn't advise to do face pulls.

P.S. OP should do face pulls :)
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1712 posts
2016 upvotes
Retrodude wrote: Give it a try:

Have done this type of movement before and it hurt like hell the first few times but gradually the restrictions went away.