Expired Hot Deals

Showcase.ca

Fresh and Clean Hand Sanitizer Jumbo Sanitizer Kit: 237 ml Pump Bottle + 1 L Refill $9.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2020 5:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20271 posts
13622 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

[Showcase.ca] Fresh and Clean Hand Sanitizer Jumbo Sanitizer Kit: 237 ml Pump Bottle + 1 L Refill $9.99

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
$5.00
Retailer:
Showcase.ca
More offers from Showcase.ca
Showcase has the Fresh and Clean Hand Sanitizer combo pack (1 - 237ml pump bottle and a 1L refill) for $9.99 which seems to be one of best deals out there if you don't have a Costco card.

Clean And Fresh

The Fresh N Clean Hand Sanitizer kills 99.9% of germs and is enriched with Aloe and Vitamin E so you can rest assured that your hands will remain clean and safe. Say no to sticky residue and hello to soft and smooth hands! This bundle comes with two bottles of hand sanitizer: a portable 237 ml bottle that comes with a pump that you can take with you on the go and a 1L bottle that you can use at home and for refills.
Directions:

Place enough product in your palm to thoroughly cover your hands. Rub hands together briskly until dry. Children under 6 years of age should be supervised when using this product.

Information

Health Canada approved - FDA-NDC 47993-208-02

Active Ingredient: Ethyl alcohol 62%. Purpose: Antiseptic. Use: To help reduce bacteria on the skin.

Warnings: Flammable. Keep away from open flame and sources of heat. For external use only. Avoid contact with eyes. If contact occurs, flush eyes with water. Discontinue use and consult a healthcare practitioner if irritation develops. Keep out of reach of children. If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.

Store below 110F (43C). May discolor certain fabrics or surfaces.
This is a thick gel type sanitizer.

Note that the reviews are great on the website and one review states that it smells great but on all honesty, it doesn't smell all that great.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
2348 posts
3090 upvotes
I would stick to brand name ones like Purell and One Step.

All these dollarama type ones are nasty and who knows if they’ll be a recall on them.

Personally I stocked up in the Staples 437ml one step in stock as of yesterday.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20271 posts
13622 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
simplypop wrote: I would stick to brand name ones like Purell and One Step.

All these dollarama type ones are nasty and who knows if they’ll be a recall on them.

Personally I stocked up in the Staples 437ml one step in stock as of yesterday.
This one doesn't seem all that bad in comparison to some others I've had tried in shopping mall dispensers. There's an initial smell but then disappears quickly once rubbed on my hands.
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
11850 posts
104549 upvotes
Ontario
dont support price gougers. especially price gouging during a pandemic.

They tried to use "PPE donations" to hospitals to recover from their PR disaster. The catch is the hospital needs to send an email and thanking them for the PPE donations.

Just like a certain country who demanded other countries to thank them in public for the "PPE Donations."
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
Jun 19, 2016
33 posts
12 upvotes
vancouver
It is also one of the approved sanitizers by health Canada
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20271 posts
13622 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I added a couple of drops of peppermint essential oils into the small bottle and it covers up most of the smell.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20271 posts
13622 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Thatdealguy wrote: dont support price gougers. especially price gouging during a pandemic.

They tried to use "PPE donations" to hospitals to recover from their PR disaster. The catch is the hospital needs to send an email and thanking them for the PPE donations.

Just like a certain country who demanded other countries to thank them in public for the "PPE Donations."
I'm assuming you are talking about this story - $400 boxes of KN95 masks reflect high cost of bringing PPE to Canada, company says.
VANCOUVER -- The rising cost of respirator masks and other personal protective equipment has led to complaints of price gouging in B.C. – but one company says its increased prices reflect the reality of getting highly sought-after goods into Canada in the midst of a pandemic.

On Tuesday, the Showcase store at Lansdowne Mall was selling N95 masks for $10 a piece and the similar KN95 masks, which Health Canada recently approved as an alternative to the N95, for $8 a piece.

Even in bulk, the company charges $399.99 for a box of 50 KN95 masks through its website, a price some customers told CTV News they felt was unreasonably high.

But Showcase CEO Samir Kulkarni said the company is actually charging less than its usual markup for the masks, pointing to a huge increase in the cost of getting goods into the country, including what he said was a 1,705 per cent hike in air freight charges.

"Showcase doesn't price-gouge," he said. "The reality is that we're paying massively inflated costs on the world market. We're contending with bigger countries and bigger companies in trying to secure Canada's fair share of essential supplies."

Companies trying to move goods out of China face "literally a bidding war" to get space on a plane, he said, and moving shipments by sea isn't an option because it takes too long to keep up with demand.

Consumer Protection B.C. has received about 1,600 complaints about possible price-gouging and re-selling over the last several weeks, and is still in the process of investigating the validity of many of those reports.

President Rob Gialloreto told CTV News that a company charging $400 for a box of 50 respirator masks would have immediately set off alarm bells two months ago. Today, he's not so sure.

"We've heard that complaint before, specifically about that amount for that many masks, but we would have to investigate," he said. "We know that businesses are spending more, wholesalers are charging more, and we get it – that's kind of a normal thing when we're in a state of emergency."

When it comes to identifying price-gouging in the marketplace, Gialloreto said it's clearer when one retailer is selling items at an "egregious price" compared to what other retailers are charging for the same product.

Gialloreto's team deals with consumers and companies in order to determine whether prices are justified. Businesses found to be gouging people during the pandemic can face fines of $2,000.

And clear cases of price-gouging have emerged through the investigations Consumer Protection B.C. has conducted so far, some of them involving popular retailers.

"We're talking about well-branded stores," Gialloreto said. "It's not a small problem. I think it's a significant problem in the marketplace that's going to last (as long as we're) we're under a state of emergency."

Emergencies like the one British Columbians are currently rallying to overcome are "not a time to make an unreasonable profit from people," Gialloreto added.

The CEO of Showcase said his company is spending a whopping $7 per KN95 mask purchasing the products and getting them shipped overseas, which leaves about $1 to cover their rent and labour costs.

He said the masks are made with medical-grade fabric by a Chinese manufacturer that used to produce electric cars but pivoted to making PPE – an expensive transition that contributed to the inflated cost of purchasing the masks.

Kulkarni acknowledged his company has been approached by different government bodies about its prices, but said Showcase is always found to be acting appropriately.

"Obviously there is some sticker shock when people first may see a price and not understand the context," he said. "Every single inquiry by a government authority, once we have shown the documentation and the cost that we're paying, has been closed and resolved without incident."

Availability of PPE has been an ongoing issue for governments and health care workers, including in B.C., though Health Minister Adrian Dix said Tuesday that the province has recently obtained 3.7 million respirator masks. That includes 700,000 KN95s.
I may be wrong but I don't remember any government agency bringing charges against the company for price gouging. Please provide any links to stories that have stated otherwise.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28914 posts
14452 upvotes
craftsman wrote: if you don't have a Costco card.
Not that I want more people to shop there so I don't know why I'm posting this, but why doesn't one have a costco card?
Costco is selling 2L for $10 but you have to buy your own bottle. A quick trip to the dollar store and $2 later means that you get the same thing as this for $12 but you get 2L instead of 1.25L.

Working it out, this is $8/L
Costco (assuming a $2 bottle) works out to $6/L.
It's only $2, but at the end of the day a membership is $5/month. If you can save $3 more dollars this month, you have it paid for.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20271 posts
13622 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
death_hawk wrote: Not that I want more people to shop there so I don't know why I'm posting this, but why doesn't one have a costco card?
Costco is selling 2L for $10 but you have to buy your own bottle. A quick trip to the dollar store and $2 later means that you get the same thing as this for $12 but you get 2L instead of 1.25L.

Working it out, this is $8/L
Costco (assuming a $2 bottle) works out to $6/L.
It's only $2, but at the end of the day a membership is $5/month. If you can save $3 more dollars this month, you have it paid for.
I also have to wait in line to get in and possibly wait in line to pay. Also, there's the chance after I waited in line to get in, that my local Costco could be out of stock (which I can't check before hand as they don't have live online inventory) which means that I would have to go to another Costco in hopes that the second Costco has it in stock.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28914 posts
14452 upvotes
craftsman wrote: I also have to wait in line to get in and possibly wait in line to pay. Also, there's the chance after I waited in line to get in, that my local Costco could be out of stock (which I can't check before hand as they don't have live online inventory) which means that I would have to go to another Costco in hopes that the second Costco has it in stock.
I can't even argue this because I've used the same argument to argue for Amazon....

But most of this can be "costed" to the "cost" of buying other things.
If you're only after sani? Yeah. But this is more of a "pick up while I'm buying other things".
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2006
1612 posts
1186 upvotes
Calgary
craftsman wrote: I also have to wait in line to get in and possibly wait in line to pay. Also, there's the chance after I waited in line to get in, that my local Costco could be out of stock (which I can't check before hand as they don't have live online inventory) which means that I would have to go to another Costco in hopes that the second Costco has it in stock.
why can't you phone the store and ask about stock?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20271 posts
13622 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
lord wayne wrote: why can't you phone the store and ask about stock?
You could but if you think about the madhouse that a Costco typically is, you may be waiting on the phone for a while.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28914 posts
14452 upvotes
craftsman wrote: You could but if you think about the madhouse that a Costco typically is, you may be waiting on the phone for a while.
I phone them all the time and outside of the unskippable COVID message they're usually pretty quick picking up the phone.
No worse than anyone else.

EDIT: I phoned them today. After I got through the IVR they picked up within a couple rings.
It took more time for him to switch screens to the lookup screen.
Nov 24, 2018
244 posts
329 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Not that I want more people to shop there so I don't know why I'm posting this, but why doesn't one have a costco card?
There are lots of people for whom Costco membership doesn't make sense? Single people who won't be able to use up stuff in bulk sizes. People living in small spaces who don't have storage room for bulk sizes. People who don't have a car - Costco locations aren't exactly transit friendly, and even if it is, carrying Costco-sized things in hand onto public transit can be quite difficult. Online doesn't have the full assortment and are priced differently to account for delivery. People who don't have the financial flexibility to pay up for things in bulk ahead of need. It's not like you can pay $5 for a monthly membership and make just one trip, you have to pay up for a full year and go at least a few times.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
8798 posts
4683 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
death_hawk wrote: I phone them all the time and outside of the unskippable COVID message they're usually pretty quick picking up the phone.
No worse than anyone else.

EDIT: I phoned them today. After I got through the IVR they picked up within a couple rings.
It took more time for him to switch screens to the lookup screen.
I phone them (costco) to cancel an order and waited for like 40 min at least on the line.
Also, it is a mental trap.
The more you buy, the more you eat and use.
Since the premium membership is an extra $60, which you need to spend $3000 to make back, people tend to buy more thinking if they pay for the membership and not using it, they wasted money.
The end result is people buy more, eat more and spend more.
If I buy a big bag of chips, I will definitely eat more chips.
If I have more meat in the fridge, I will eat more before it turns bad.

Most people say they dont just go to costco to buy just that 1 item, so they dont fight in the line up to save just $1-$2.
That is EXACTLY the problem. They dont just go there to save that $1-2. They think they save $1-2 while spending $100s unnecessarily.
How many people really need that huge pack of meat? Or you are forcing yourself to eat more than you need just because it is in the fridge?
Stop torturing yourself in the stomach.
The above is from analyzing my own mental process and mindfulness.

Ask yourself why each time you go to Costco, you spend a few hundreds. It is because you buy everything more than you need! And then force yourself to use it.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28914 posts
14452 upvotes
Zook123 wrote:
Single people who won't be able to use up stuff in bulk sizes.
For food? 100% agree.
But 1L of shampoo makes more sense than a 500mL bottle.
People living in small spaces who don't have storage room for bulk sizes.
I do admit that 12 rolls of paper towel can be hard to store. But not everything is bulk sized.
People who don't have a car - Costco locations aren't exactly transit friendly, and even if it is, carrying Costco-sized things in hand onto public transit can be quite difficult.
In GVRD Downtown is on a skytrain. I see people with little carts all the time around the DT one.
Plus there's also car sharing if you're in a larger city. Or a cab for those who aren't.
Online doesn't have the full assortment and are priced differently to account for delivery.
This I can't argue with. It may as well be a different store to be honest since there's very little overlap and a giant price discrepancy.
People who don't have the financial flexibility to pay up for things in bulk ahead of need. It's not like you can pay $5 for a monthly membership and make just one trip, you have to pay up for a full year and go at least a few times.
I think that's always why I've heard around here that Costco is an affluent store.
That's kind of the problem though, it's expensive being poor.
Even when I was surviving with very little income I made it a point to go to Costco to buy essentials because it was significantly cheaper buying it once than buying it in small quantities.
theflyingsquirrel wrote:
I phone them (costco) to cancel an order and waited for like 40 min at least on the line.
Online? Different case.
I phone the warehouses all the time to look up stuff. It's always quick (except for the stupid COVID message)
The more you buy, the more you eat and use.
Eat? Maybe. The pressure of eating it before it goes bad certainly is a concern. This is why I support having a vacuum packing machine. I can buy 1L of sour cream for example and make 5 portions for the same price as 250mL in the grocery store.
But for non perishable goods? It's not like I'm all of a sudden using 5x as much cleaner or paper towel or hand sanitizer because I have 4L of the stuff.
Since the premium membership is an extra $60, which you need to spend $3000 to make back, people tend to buy more thinking if they pay for the membership and not using it, they wasted money.
That's the $120 Executive membership.
The base membership offers no rewards so it's a flat $60/year or an average of $5/month.
If you take the mentality of "I have to make this worth it" into the store, you're gonna spend more.
Instead, if you know your pricing, you can EASILY save $5 a month over other stores on one or two items. Hell there's usually one item per year that I buy once that pays for my entire $120 membership.

If I buy a big bag of chips, I will definitely eat more chips.
(Assuming you're one person and not a family of 5) buying chips here is stupid since it's like 2lbs per bag.
But buying something like salad dressing which comes in a 2 pack of retail sizes makes more sense.
If I have more meat in the fridge, I will eat more before it turns bad.
Same concept as above.
Most people say they dont just go to costco to buy just that 1 item, so they dont fight in the line up to save just $1-$2.
I actually went to buy one item (well 3 of that item) yesterday.
How many people really need that huge pack of meat? Or you are forcing yourself to eat more than you need just because it is in the fridge?
Stop torturing yourself in the stomach.
The above is from analyzing my own mental process and mindfulness.
Assuming again that if you're one person and not a family, if you don't have a vacuum packer fresh meat here doesn't make sense.
Ask yourself why each time you go to Costco, you spend a few hundreds. It is because you buy everything more than you need! And then force yourself to use it.
Assuming again with perishables (there's no waste when it comes to non perishables) some things don't make sense as a single person.
There's no reason to buy them here. But there's PLENTY of other examples which are cheaper that DO make sense.
And while it's bad to waste, there's some items which are identically priced as a regular store but you get 3x as much product. So in essence even if you toss 2/3 of it for whatever reason, you're still ahead of the game.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20271 posts
13622 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
death_hawk wrote: For food? 100% agree.
But 1L of shampoo makes more sense than a 500mL bottle.

I do admit that 12 rolls of paper towel can be hard to store. But not everything is bulk sized.

In GVRD Downtown is on a skytrain. I see people with little carts all the time around the DT one.
Plus there's also car sharing if you're in a larger city. Or a cab for those who aren't.

This I can't argue with. It may as well be a different store to be honest since there's very little overlap and a giant price discrepancy.

I think that's always why I've heard around here that Costco is an affluent store.
That's kind of the problem though, it's expensive being poor.
Even when I was surviving with very little income I made it a point to go to Costco to buy essentials because it was significantly cheaper buying it once than buying it in small quantities.

Online? Different case.
I phone the warehouses all the time to look up stuff. It's always quick (except for the stupid COVID message)

Eat? Maybe. The pressure of eating it before it goes bad certainly is a concern. This is why I support having a vacuum packing machine. I can buy 1L of sour cream for example and make 5 portions for the same price as 250mL in the grocery store.
But for non perishable goods? It's not like I'm all of a sudden using 5x as much cleaner or paper towel or hand sanitizer because I have 4L of the stuff.

That's the $120 Executive membership.
The base membership offers no rewards so it's a flat $60/year or an average of $5/month.
If you take the mentality of "I have to make this worth it" into the store, you're gonna spend more.
Instead, if you know your pricing, you can EASILY save $5 a month over other stores on one or two items. Hell there's usually one item per year that I buy once that pays for my entire $120 membership.

(Assuming you're one person and not a family of 5) buying chips here is stupid since it's like 2lbs per bag.
But buying something like salad dressing which comes in a 2 pack of retail sizes makes more sense.

Same concept as above.

I actually went to buy one item (well 3 of that item) yesterday.

Assuming again that if you're one person and not a family, if you don't have a vacuum packer fresh meat here doesn't make sense.

Assuming again with perishables (there's no waste when it comes to non perishables) some things don't make sense as a single person.
There's no reason to buy them here. But there's PLENTY of other examples which are cheaper that DO make sense.
And while it's bad to waste, there's some items which are identically priced as a regular store but you get 3x as much product. So in essence even if you toss 2/3 of it for whatever reason, you're still ahead of the game.
We get it... you LOVE COSTCO and can't live without it. But that's not what this thread is about! If you want to have a lively discussion on COSTCO, then I would suggest that you start a thread on the subject so that others can join in!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28914 posts
14452 upvotes
craftsman wrote: We get it... you LOVE COSTCO and can't live without it. But that's not what this thread is about! If you want to have a lively discussion on COSTCO, then I would suggest that you start a thread on the subject so that others can join in!
Gotcha. You want to pay more.
I figured we were all here for deals.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20271 posts
13622 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
death_hawk wrote: Gotcha. You want to pay more.
I figured we were all here for deals.
No we don't want to pay more... we just don't want to discuss COSTCO on a thread for hand sanitizer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)