None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1422 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto

Shower niche : is off-center OK?

Bathrooom renos occurring. Horizontally, there's a stud right in the middle of the shower wall where I've seen most niches installed.

Would/could you install it between the two studs next to it or would that look weird?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4398 posts
3873 upvotes
Toronto
I guess this wall is not the one with the showerhead? Because most of those are off centre because the piping goes from the valve (ie. control knob) to the showerhead with a straight length of pipe).

Because it's a cosmetic choice, go to somewhere like Pinterest, search for "shower niche" and look at examples. See if you can live with an off centre niche. If not, then ask the renovators to change it. It's just a matter (as long as it's not a load bearing wall) of cutting up some 2x4s, cutting out part of the stud that's in the way, and bracing the neighbouring studs like a box. The current modern style is not to be strictly symmetrical. However, you should get what you personally like, not what the current style is.

Make sure it's not an exterior wall, otherwise your shampoo might freeze...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1096 upvotes
Mississauga
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1422 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: I cut into one of mine since I had to brace around the shower niche anyway. I just installed another 2x4 beside it. Below are two bathrooms that I moved the studs.
Thanks. Never thought of using two.

When do they begin, height-wise from the floor? I'm thinking mine might be too high.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1422 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
jm1 wrote: I guess this wall is not the one with the showerhead? Because most of those are off centre because the piping goes from the valve (ie. control knob) to the showerhead with a straight length of pipe).

Because it's a cosmetic choice, go to somewhere like Pinterest, search for "shower niche" and look at examples. See if you can live with an off centre niche. If not, then ask the renovators to change it. It's just a matter (as long as it's not a load bearing wall) of cutting up some 2x4s, cutting out part of the stud that's in the way, and bracing the neighbouring studs like a box. The current modern style is not to be strictly symmetrical. However, you should get what you personally like, not what the current style is.

Make sure it's not an exterior wall, otherwise your shampoo might freeze...
The wall isn't an exterior one. It's the big wall (not one of the smaller two) and no piping is going through it.

The Pinterest idea is a good one, thanks. :)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1096 upvotes
Mississauga
StratMangler wrote: When do they begin, height-wise from the floor? I'm thinking mine might be too high.
In both bathrooms we did them where the center of the niche was at shoulders height, then adjusted it so that it filled one full tile. In our case one tile was 10"X16" and the second bathroom was 12"x18". Both have a shelf in the middle. The low voltage wire running through the niche was for rgb led lighting but I never built the lights yet and it's been a couple years. My Bad.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3708 posts
463 upvotes
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: I cut into one of mine since I had to brace around the shower niche anyway. I just installed another 2x4 beside it. Below are two bathrooms that I moved the studs.
whats the wiring for?