Shred document service at Grand & Toy

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2009 11:44 pm
Tags:
Mar 14, 2008
65 posts
Toronto (Yorkdale/Do…

Shred document service at Grand & Toy

Some branches of Grand and Toy have a document shredding service with an industrial strength shredder, in Toronto.

The first few pounds cost $2/pound
After some amount, it's $1/pound

It took them 5 minutes to do 2 pounds of paper, for me.

The one that I went to is at 773 Yonge at Bloor.

According to their pamphlet, they have other locations:
180 Bloor W. at Avenue
2300 Yonge at Eglington
540 King W. at Brant
Eaton Centre
TD Centre (66 Wellington W)
College Park (777 Bay)
Sheppard Centre (4841 Yonge St.)
7 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2963 upvotes
Good for small business who doesn't make enough to pay for the service themselves.

For a home user just worried about identity theft, unless you work in the CIA or something a standard $15 cross-cut shredder is fine. It will make it hard enough to steal your info that a crook will just move to the next house.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
2053 posts
183 upvotes
York Region
Op thanks for the info was looking for something like that last year.
Feb 22, 2006
844 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for the post... can see this being important for me to know in the near future.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
brunes wrote: Good for small business who doesn't make enough to pay for the service themselves.

For a home user just worried about identity theft, unless you work in the CIA or something a standard $15 cross-cut shredder is fine. It will make it hard enough to steal your info that a crook will just move to the next house.
You missed the point. It is not about the quality of the shred. It is about the time you spend on the tiny home shredder when you have stacks of paper to shred. A few piece of papers at a time. Each round takes (say) 8 seconds. It takes longer if the machine jams. Then, you need to un-jam it. Of course, it stops when it is overheated too.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Oct 24, 2009
9 posts
alcaatwork wrote: Some branches of Grand and Toy have a document shredding service with an industrial strength shredder, in Toronto.

180 Bloor W. at Avenue
2300 Yonge at Eglington
540 King W. at Brant
Eaton Centre
College Park (777 Bay)

Another FREE option is Staples (at the least the one on the Queensway by Sherway Gardens in Etobicoke). I inquired about on-site paper shredding and they said they have a free "Shred-It" bin where the photocopy machines are lcoated. They don't shred it onsite but the bin is locked. Not as ideal as if you watched them shred it, but then again, it's free. I unloaded a whole box of papers and then felt a little guilty, so I bought some printer paper (needed some anyways!)

Cheers!
Oct 2, 2005
611 posts
26 upvotes
alcaatwork wrote: Some branches of Grand and Toy have a document shredding service with an industrial strength shredder, in Toronto.

180 Bloor W. at Avenue
2300 Yonge at Eglington
540 King W. at Brant
Eaton Centre
College Park (777 Bay)
how much paper are you shredding?

here is my cheap solution: shred it at work and take it home and burn it.
...making life simple without worry, without headache...
Feb 11, 2004
260 posts
21 upvotes
Kamloops
Mighty Molar wrote: Another FREE option is Staples (at the least the one on the Queensway by Sherway Gardens in Etobicoke). I inquired about on-site paper shredding and they said they have a free "Shred-It" bin where the photocopy machines are lcoated. They don't shred it onsite but the bin is locked. Not as ideal as if you watched them shred it, but then again, it's free. I unloaded a whole box of papers and then felt a little guilty, so I bought some printer paper (needed some anyways!)

Cheers!
That should be secure, we used to have those bins at our work. When they come to pick it up, it is shredded on site with their truck mounted shredder. Now we just shred it ourselves as the amount of sensitive paperwork has gone down.

Before shredding I just used to rip up things really good, and then when at the recycling center I would just throw a little bit of it in each separate bin. Would take a crook forever to get the info.