None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1198 posts
299 upvotes
Vaughan

Shrub Recommendations - Hedging

I'm a complete newb when it comes to gardening. I'm looking to plant some shrubs that would allow me to create a hedge such as the attached picture.

I checked out a few nurseries plus lowes and found something called a green mountain boxwood.

1) Is it easy to maintain?
2) Does it grow fast? How long will it take for me to grow it to a point that I can create a hedge?
3) Should I buy the 3gallon or 1gallon plants? the 1 gallon boxwoods are obviously a lot cheaper but worried that will take too long to grow out.

Any other recommendations and advice is greatly appreciated.

5 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2644 posts
863 upvotes
interesting thread, I'd like to know those answers too! :)
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1440 posts
143 upvotes
GTA
otaknap wrote: I'm a complete newb when it comes to gardening. I'm looking to plant some shrubs that would allow me to create a hedge such as the attached picture.

I checked out a few nurseries plus lowes and found something called a green mountain boxwood.

1) Is it easy to maintain?
2) Does it grow fast? How long will it take for me to grow it to a point that I can create a hedge?
3) Should I buy the 3gallon or 1gallon plants? the 1 gallon boxwoods are obviously a lot cheaper but worried that will take too long to grow out.

Any other recommendations and advice is greatly appreciated.

I have a few boxwoods in my front yard.
1 gallon will take at least 3-4 years to get to the point of triming/hedging.

Id start with 3 gallon but keep in mind it will take atleast 2 years . then you can start trimming.. by the 5 year mark with PROPER trimming. you should have a nice low hedge.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1198 posts
299 upvotes
Vaughan
speeeeee wrote: I have a few boxwoods in my front yard.
1 gallon will take at least 3-4 years to get to the point of triming/hedging.

Id start with 3 gallon but keep in mind it will take atleast 2 years . then you can start trimming.. by the 5 year mark with PROPER trimming. you should have a nice low hedge.
Thanks! any recommendation on where to shop for some in Vaughan?
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1440 posts
143 upvotes
GTA
anywhere really. boxwoods are sold at every nursery/ big box... call a couple up and comapre prices...as long as they look healthy.. if you want some piece of mind buy them from a place that provides a 1 year warranty on them(like Crappy tire)
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6976 posts
1721 upvotes
Some Boxwoods smell. Personally, I can't stand the smell of them.