Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2002
1112 posts
176 upvotes

Shutoff valve water leak

I am experiencing a leak from an interior plumping shutoff valve (only when it is open), and I'm not sure what to do to fix it. Youtube videos and online searches seemed to suggest different remedies, including repacking the valve, but my shutoff valve only seems to have one nut on it. Does anyone know the best way to address the leak (it's through the stem)? IA photo of the valve is below; it's an interior valve, but I have an exterior valve that looks the same, so I've included a photo of that as well because it's easier to photograph. Thanks in advance for any help- I'd like to be able to shut off the main water supply and get it fixed without any headaches or having to call a plumber, and the first step to doing that is knowing exactly what I need to do!

8 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
rhainman wrote: I am experiencing a leak from an interior plumping shutoff valve (only when it is open), and I'm not sure what to do to fix it. Youtube videos and online searches seemed to suggest different remedies, including repacking the valve, but my shutoff valve only seems to have one nut on it. Does anyone know the best way to address the leak (it's through the stem)? IA photo of the valve is below; it's an interior valve, but I have an exterior valve that looks the same, so I've included a photo of that as well because it's easier to photograph. Thanks in advance for any help- I'd like to be able to shut off the main water supply and get it fixed without any headaches or having to call a plumber, and the first step to doing that is knowing exactly what I need to do!

Its an emco shutoff valve. Buy a new packing (they are very common) or replace the o ring on the existing stem.
May 14, 2009
46 posts
13 upvotes
Mississauga
U can buy the replacement parts from HD under 10 bucks
Sep 30, 2006
238 posts
4 upvotes
I had a similar issue, was able to fix it myself in 10 minutes after a trip to HD. If it does happen to be the same issue, you should need something that looks similar to this: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/waltec- ... 101/907024

You'll either need to additional purchase a new handle, or simply re-use the current one.
1. Shut of the main water supply, drain from the lowest point possible
2. Take a wrench and remove the current cartridge
3. Use a bucket to catch the remaining water
(if possible, take the current cartridge to HD so you can get the right part)
4. Install new cartridge
5. Declare yourself an expert plumber
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
Shaftasaurus wrote: I had a similar issue, was able to fix it myself in 10 minutes after a trip to HD. If it does happen to be the same issue, you should need something that looks similar to this: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/waltec- ... 101/907024

You'll either need to additional purchase a new handle, or simply re-use the current one.
1. Shut of the main water supply, drain from the lowest point possible
2. Take a wrench and remove the current cartridge
3. Use a bucket to catch the remaining water
(if possible, take the current cartridge to HD so you can get the right part)
4. Install new cartridge
5. Declare yourself an expert plumber
Don't confuse the guy. The link you posted is a Walter faucet cartridge. The valve he posted is an Emco inline globe valve
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16796 posts
2463 upvotes
Shaftasaurus wrote: 1. Shut of the main water supply, drain from the lowest point possible
How do you do this? I assume by finding the water shutoff by the street?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
coolspot wrote: How do you do this? I assume by finding the water shutoff by the street?
Not at the street, it will be at your water meter in the basement normally near the front of the house, or in your mechanical room
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8856 posts
5122 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
coolspot wrote: How do you do this? I assume by finding the water shutoff by the street?
Check near furnace or hot water tank, next to water meter.