Home & Garden

Shutters - wood vs vinyl, California or plantation?

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2018 2:24 pm
Tags:
Jun 20, 2009
638 posts
149 upvotes
GTA
TYG3R wrote: I went with Wood shuttters from Star Customs in my old house. No complaints, price was good/better than other quotes we got. The 'staple' system for the tilt bar looked simple/cheap, but worked fine - just made sure my kids weren't rough or playing with them to much.

I went with wood mainly because white paint would match the trim around my windows - even if the vinyl didn't discolour, the white vinly still wouldn't match as well.

No real issue cleaning the wood , just wiped them down or vacuumed them.
Thanks for your input. Paint matching and easy cleaning are good factors to keep in mind.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3093 posts
461 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
I'll be going with wood. I want a custom color, already have vinyl on the side of the house, that's enough. Either PC or Alibaba, not until next year as I was advised best to get new windows first. I'll just have to wait.
musicmastomagic wrote: Did you go with vinyl?
That's exactly what one shutter company told me but I am wondering why PC shutter guy said that they do discolor over the time......he tried to push wood shutters. He said we give 5 year warranty on vinyl for discoloration whereas the other company said 25 years on fading. Is fading same as yellowing?
Jun 1, 2011
511 posts
93 upvotes
Ajax
TYG3R wrote: I went with Wood shuttters from Star Customs in my old house. No complaints, price was good/better than other quotes we got. The 'staple' system for the tilt bar looked simple/cheap, but worked fine - just made sure my kids weren't rough or playing with them to much.

I went with wood mainly because white paint would match the trim around my windows - even if the vinyl didn't discolour, the white vinyl still wouldn't match as well.

No real issue cleaning the wood , just wiped them down or vacuumed them.
Thanks for this info, do you mind sharing how much you paid? you can PM me if you like

Do they charge by window or per panel, for example my dining room has one window with 2 panels.
Is wood same price as vinyl?

I am thinking about using PC and Stars in a month or so... how long does it normally take to deliver 10 windows?

Thanks guys
Mar 10, 2009
463 posts
87 upvotes
Sorry, it was about 5 years ago and I don't remember the cost exactly, but the price relates to the square footage you're covering. I think it was around 3 weeks from order to installation for 6 windows + sliding door.

vinmatrix wrote: Thanks for this info, do you mind sharing how much you paid? you can PM me if you like

Do they charge by window or per panel, for example my dining room has one window with 2 panels.
Is wood same price as vinyl?

I am thinking about using PC and Stars in a month or so... how long does it normally take to deliver 10 windows?

Thanks guys

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)