SickKids

BOGO (matched) donations to SickKids Foundation

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2021 7:59 pm
Sep 13, 2014
166 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
acidcaribou wrote: I prefer giving directly to charities like this, as opposed to being hit up for $5 every time I buy groceries or wine.
A lot of people don't realize this, but when those companies donate it, and they get the tax write-off.
If you do it this way, you get the tax receipt.

For companies, its literally a money-making scheme dressed up as charity.
This is true to a certain degree that these companies can get a 'commission/ handling fee' for collecting the money. However I think and could be wrong that this practice was outlawed awhile ago.
Companies like Costco will give you a tax receipt and they also used to match the donations dollar to dollar to a certain amount. We never donate small amounts at the cash. It is better to donate at least $20 as that is eligible for a tax receipt.
At Costco in the past I have asked if they match the donation and then make a donation. Generally the staff have gone out of their way to get my information and to issue a tax receipt.

Sadly there are many shady companies out there.
Jan 9, 2007
361 posts
275 upvotes
Fredericton
Donated because my brain sees 'matched' and thinks this is too good to pass up. Good stuff!
May 30, 2013
538 posts
613 upvotes
Markham
I stopped donate to sickkid a few years ago after seeing the CBC Marketplace episode on their parking fees. It got me very upset on how they repsonsed to the issues.

[OP]
Jun 8, 2010
262 posts
354 upvotes
Toronto
It is unfortunate that hospitals are so underfunded, they resort to increasing parking fees. However, it seems that since that report, SickKids has re-instituted discounted parking passes for parents (e.g., $200/mo): https://www.sickkids.ca/en/patients-vis ... /#discount. Parking costs are still a burden, but hopefully a more manageable one.
Happy customer of Fido and Tangerine 😃
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2064 posts
1656 upvotes
I always donate to sick kids every year. This is a bonus. Just made a second donation. I love sick kids. Used to go there as a kid and my little ones haven been there too.
Mar 13, 2009
219 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for posting this.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2004
1537 posts
534 upvotes
Toronto
For those of you who donated, are you able to get a personalized e-card or greeting card that you're donating it as a gift?

I gifted a donation to 'World Vision' to some of my clients that I work with on a freelance basis last year and they had/have a free greeting card option. Wouldn't mind doing it again but to 'Sick Kids' this year since it's 2X the effect.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2064 posts
1656 upvotes
nightwalker wrote: For those of you who donated, are you able to get a personalized e-card or greeting card that you're donating it as a gift?

I gifted a donation to 'World Vision' to some of my clients that I work with on a freelance basis last year and they had/have a free greeting card option. Wouldn't mind doing it again but to 'Sick Kids' this year since it's 2X the effect.
I didnt see the option. Just asks you for the cc and then billing info..the only thing i saw was putting it under a company name. I suppose you could put it in the name of your clients and charge it to your company? You do get a receipt after but i didnt see the option for an ecard anywhere. Maybe call them?