None
[OP]
Banned
Feb 19, 2013
289 posts
534 upvotes
Toronto

Side Business Ideas

I have a full time job but not a lot of work. I get paid well for it. Does any one of you guys have something that you do on the side to pass time and learn something and make some money in the process?

I have a lot of spare time on my hands and don't know what to with it.
13 replies
Sep 18, 2011
225 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
guptasulabh7 wrote: I have a full time job but not a lot of work. I get paid well for it. Does any one of you guys have something that you do on the side to pass time and learn something and make some money in the process?

I'm actually contemplating about the same thing. For me I have these options:

1) Use my CPA, CMA for small consulting work as a freelancer
2) Hobby related: photography for example
3) Run a small business with something you know you are good at (ie., tax consulting)
4) Learn coding and develop apps or something
[OP]
Banned
Feb 19, 2013
289 posts
534 upvotes
Toronto
swchoi89 wrote: I'm actually contemplating about the same thing. For me I have these options:

1) Use my CPA, CMA for small consulting work as a freelancer
2) Hobby related: photography for example
3) Run a small business with something you know you are good at (ie., tax consulting)
4) Learn coding and develop apps or something
I actually am thinking of creating a website. Always wondered how website owned businesses work. I recently did my PMP certification and have a lot of material from my notes and other study material that i can put on the website for people to refer to for free and i can get some experience on hosting a website as well as other Google Adsense similar stuff.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1199 posts
666 upvotes
Ripley
Do you need the money? If not, why not use some of your free time to volunteer? If you have computer skills you could help teach older people how to use one (check out your library). Like animals? Kids? Meetings? Fundraising? There are endless possibilities. You don't earn cash but the payback can feel just as good.
[OP]
Banned
Feb 19, 2013
289 posts
534 upvotes
Toronto
zeddy wrote: Do you need the money? If not, why not use some of your free time to volunteer? If you have computer skills you could help teach older people how to use one (check out your library). Like animals? Kids? Meetings? Fundraising? There are endless possibilities. You don't earn cash but the payback can feel just as good.
Money is not the primary purpose. Volunteering is a good idea, i applied for a couple of volunteering opportunities but most of them required my time during the day on weekdays which is not possible due to the full time job. I try to browse the internet every couple of week to see if there is something that i can do in the evenings or on the weekends.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1158 upvotes
guptasulabh7 wrote: I have a full time job but not a lot of work. I get paid well for it. Does any one of you guys have something that you do on the side to pass time and learn something and make some money in the process?

I can relate. I had similar thoughts when I was working. My advice is to upgrade your skills. If money is not a concern like you said, then you don't necessarily need a side business. You just need something productive to do. There's a lot of ways to upgrade your skills. You sound like someone that wants to learn. Website design is definitely something you can get into from home.

As another poster said, if you have some kind of skill you can freelance, that's usually the simplest way to do a side business.

Starting a business is VERY different from just running a website. I suggest you have a well thought-out plan before you start any business. And also lots of money saved up because usually everything costs more than you think due to unexpected situations. If you just want to practice your skills, you can just build websites and do coding on your free time. Plenty of material that you can get to self-learn.

My personal advice is...don't neglect your health and relationships. Technical skills is something you can gain on your own. If you have spare time, you need to exercise and get in shape. You need to make time to build relationships (romantic or otherwise). To me, a successful person is not just someone who is skilled and rich. You need to be well rounded. And staying healthy is worth it because it enables your body and mind to function at its prime. And success has always been greatly defined by your social circle. If you hang out with weed smokers or average joes who just wants to go home after work, then it's no surprise that you end up being average too. Invest some time to meet new people. That's how I found my current business partner.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11849 posts
2277 upvotes
Toronto
You can learn to cut hair run a barbershop out of your home or maybe go mobile. My cousin's wife does eye lash extensions. Of course it helps she's a woman.
Jan 10, 2016
328 posts
50 upvotes
Markham, ON
My side business is managing my own money along with family members. It is fun and rewarding. But it is not for everyone.
[OP]
Banned
Feb 19, 2013
289 posts
534 upvotes
Toronto
BananaHunter wrote: I can relate. I had similar thoughts when I was working. My advice is to upgrade your skills. If money is not a concern like you said, then you don't necessarily need a side business. You just need something productive to do. There's a lot of ways to upgrade your skills. You sound like someone that wants to learn. Website design is definitely something you can get into from home.

As another poster said, if you have some kind of skill you can freelance, that's usually the simplest way to do a side business.

Starting a business is VERY different from just running a website. I suggest you have a well thought-out plan before you start any business. And also lots of money saved up because usually everything costs more than you think due to unexpected situations. If you just want to practice your skills, you can just build websites and do coding on your free time. Plenty of material that you can get to self-learn.

My personal advice is...don't neglect your health and relationships. Technical skills is something you can gain on your own. If you have spare time, you need to exercise and get in shape. You need to make time to build relationships (romantic or otherwise). To me, a successful person is not just someone who is skilled and rich. You need to be well rounded. And staying healthy is worth it because it enables your body and mind to function at its prime. And success has always been greatly defined by your social circle. If you hang out with weed smokers or average joes who just wants to go home after work, then it's no surprise that you end up being average too. Invest some time to meet new people. That's how I found my current business partner.
Thanks, You put it very well.

I am pretty healthy, work out 4-5 times a week and love participating in various run events, it has been almost two years with healthy eating and healthy living and I am probably in the best shape of my life. I started a new routine a month ago where i wake up at 5 AM(best thing i have done in a while) and finish my workout before i go to work. I am done with my work around 4 PM everyday and my evenings are pretty much open. I am an immigrant and moved to Canada 4 years ago, so most of my friend circle are people I know from work, i try to make new friends whenever i get the chance, but i am kind of an introvert so this is not my greatest skill and is a work in progress :)

I 100% agree with your take on surrounding myself with people who are motivated and unfortunately i don't have a lot around me. I have some really nice friends but when it comes down to do something new or take some risk, they are just happy with their current job and are comfortable whereas i just feel this irritation that I am wasting a lot of time.
Nov 29, 2014
75 posts
123 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
- Use your previous work experience to work as a freelance consultant
- Take your hobby and turn it into some side income
- If money isn't an issue, volunteer 2-3 hours a week. You meet a lot of cool people
- Get a retail job

This is what I do that relate to the above topics:

- File taxes during tax season
- I like woodworking and I sometimes commission custom items as small as tie clips, suit cuffs to boxes/small tables
- Event coordinate for various events
- I had a friend that worked 1 day (overnight) a month in a retail store and still maintained all her discounts.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
778 upvotes
Product brokerage, retailing, and internet marketing? Pm me if interested
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3511 posts
1061 upvotes
Edmonton
Mechanic in your garage? I work on cars on the side. Engines, transmissions, brakes exhaust and suspension. Good money
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Jul 19, 2010
611 posts
249 upvotes
Calgary
Discounts on electronics.... Get a job at Best buy..