• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2020 1:16 pm
Oct 18, 2012
232 posts
27 upvotes
GTA

Side entrance from Garage ?

Hello Everyone

I couldn’t find any bylaw for my city to add side entrance from my garage (need it for tenants in basement ). Any idea in regards to space between neighbours , construction part, without permit, etc ?

Thanks for the replies in advance !!
8 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
windywalks wrote: Hello Everyone

I couldn’t find any bylaw for my city to add side entrance from my garage (need it for tenants in basement ). Any idea in regards to space between neighbours , construction part, without permit, etc ?

Thanks for the replies in advance !!
You will need a permit. Should be no issues with lot offset etc as you are not changing the footprint of your house. (Moving it closer or further away)
Jan 22, 2012
654 posts
276 upvotes
Bradford
Do your tenants enter their apartment through the garage? I thought that was prohibited in some locations?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
So this entrance door ...
Is it going on the wall of your garage
Or behind the garage, on the wall of your house ?

Either way ...
You’ll probably need a permit
But ... the process will be more extensive if it’s directly into the house itself
(Could also change your valuation & insurance ... cuz that also counts doors & windows into / out of a place of residence )
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1525 posts
1657 upvotes
ON
PointsHubby wrote:
(Could also change your valuation & insurance ... cuz that also counts doors & windows into / out of a place of residence )
I don’t recall home insurance company asking me how many entry points into the house.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Holystone wrote: I don’t recall home insurance company asking me how many entry points into the house.
Architect friend told me this.

That when they calculate the cost on a new build, they count up windows & doors ... but esp doors
(For both valuation / property taxes ... and insurances )
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1915 posts
1501 upvotes
Longueuil
Holystone wrote: I don’t recall home insurance company asking me how many entry points into the house.
Same here, they never asked me (I changed company not too long ago, I am pretty sure I would remember).
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
Yes mine asked how many points of exit I have from the house... weather it makes a difference to the quote Idk.. but they did ask.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1659 posts
1227 upvotes
London, On
Is that the only access to the basement apartment? I don't think that's legal. Is there also emergency egress through a window down there?