• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2018 7:31 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 12, 2014
695 posts
107 upvotes
North York, ON

Side Mirror Garage

Broke my side mirror when reversing through garage. Any tips on how to avoid this in the future other than better driving?

Is there any sensor I can install that would beep if the side mirrors are coming too close to contacting the garage?
12 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16057 posts
17354 upvotes
Oakville
Well, other than looking at your mirror as you're backing, hang something like a pool noodle or a tennis ball on a rope to give you early warning that you're on a collision course.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4578 upvotes
Alberta
Just park farther away from that side of the garage.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8547 posts
2322 upvotes
Mississauga
yellowlight18 wrote: Broke my side mirror when reversing through garage. Any tips on how to avoid this in the future other than better driving?

Is there any sensor I can install that would beep if the side mirrors are coming too close to contacting the garage?
Sell house or buy smaller vehicle.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7504 posts
754 upvotes
Toronto
This thread will not end well.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 12, 2007
5268 posts
2633 upvotes
Ottawa
OP: were you reversing out of the garage or backing into it?

edit to add explanation:

The reason I ask this: many years ago, I suspended a brightly coloured tennis ball to touch precisely the centre of the windshield to help my wife ensure that her vehicle has adequate room on both sides and also that she stops before hitting the rear wall of the garage. I once asked her if she wanted me to remove it as I wasn't sure she really needed it. Her response was "hell no". She ALWAYS noses into the garage but because she has parked with appropriate room on both sides, she has no trouble reversing out of the garage. I would have to rethink this if she ever decided to switch it up and reverse into the garage.
Last edited by CaptSmethwick on Jan 7th, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12606 posts
7330 upvotes
Markham
Being more attentive is all that's needed. Nothing will help if you're not paying attention.

Backing out slowly and checking your side view mirror is all that's needed. Make sure you straighten out your wheels once you're parked.

You can park farther from the side... Attach some pool noodles to force you away from the wall a bit more can help but it isn't a audible tool.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
8071 posts
2745 upvotes
Maple
+1
or get double garage house and only you park in there.

Seriously, be careful when going in and backing out.
gr8dlr wrote: Being more attentive is all that's needed. Nothing will help if you're not paying attention.

Backing out slowly and checking your side view mirror is all that's needed. Make sure you straighten out your wheels once you're parked.

You can park farther from the side... Attach some pool noodles to force you away from the wall a bit more can help but it isn't a audible tool.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35550 posts
21614 upvotes
Center of Universe
Do your mirrors fold (either automatically or manually)?

While my Explorer can fit into my double door garage, I have to fold the side mirrors to get into the single door garage.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 12, 2014
695 posts
107 upvotes
North York, ON
vkizzle wrote: Do your mirrors fold (either automatically or manually)?

While my Explorer can fit into my double door garage, I have to fold the side mirrors to get into the single door garage.
They do manually, but it would be a pain to do that.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 12, 2014
695 posts
107 upvotes
North York, ON
engineered wrote: Well, other than looking at your mirror as you're backing, hang something like a pool noodle or a tennis ball on a rope to give you early warning that you're on a collision course.
I was thinking of installing some pool noodle or something like this...not sure if would help though...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Garage- ... ce-Guides/
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 12, 2014
695 posts
107 upvotes
North York, ON
CaptSmethwick wrote: OP: were you reversing out of the garage or backing into it?

edit to add explanation:

The reason I ask this: many years ago, I suspended a brightly coloured tennis ball to touch precisely the centre of the windshield to help my wife ensure that her vehicle has adequate room on both sides and also that she stops before hitting the rear wall of the garage. I once asked her if she wanted me to remove it as I wasn't sure she really needed it. Her response was "hell no". She ALWAYS noses into the garage but because she has parked with appropriate room on both sides, she has no trouble reversing out of the garage. I would have to rethink this if she ever decided to switch it up and reverse into the garage.
Backing out
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 12, 2007
5268 posts
2633 upvotes
Ottawa
yellowlight18 wrote: Backing out
Try the tennis ball so at least you are positioned consistently every time. Has worked like a charm for my better half for the better part of 20 years now.

Top