• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2018 8:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 29, 2017
291 posts
98 upvotes

Siding options/cost?

We just bought our first home and siding is one of the thing to do before winter according to the inspector. Can anyone give me any good options based on these limited pictures of what would look good and a general range of what it might end up costing? Thanks
Last edited by Mitts87 on Jun 11th, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13 replies
Feb 25, 2018
567 posts
215 upvotes
Is that wood? Looks a bit rotten. You could replace some of it and then repaint the whole house. Why did the inspector say to replace it?
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4135 upvotes
Ottawa
You can see the rot along the patio that’s probably what he was referring to. The spots sitting on the foundation where snow doesnt build up looks ok. Have a look at can-exel engineered or maibec engineered. Look of wood, fire resistant, zero maintenance and it’ll still look new the day you die.
[OP]
Apr 29, 2017
291 posts
98 upvotes
It's vinyl. Inspector said moisture getting in at some spots and there is water damaged drywall in one garage wall. We don't really get much snow here btw in Nanaimo. Thanks guys
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
3049 posts
744 upvotes
Mitts87 wrote: It's vinyl. Inspector said moisture getting in at some spots and there is water damaged drywall in one garage wall. We don't really get much snow here btw in Nanaimo. Thanks guys
i was just about to ask where is this beautiful scenery, congrats!
[OP]
Apr 29, 2017
291 posts
98 upvotes
Thank you it is .38 acre of 100% gardens. The house will be a fair bit of work too but great location.
Feb 25, 2018
567 posts
215 upvotes
Probably when you take that vinyl off you will find some rotten sheathing. Good time to add some insulation too.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23534 posts
22497 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ah yes... the siding nightmare
What looks like a straight forward project often becomes more as noted by @DaveVentura when you actually get the old siding off and can see what truly is happening underneath

Nothing says you got to do the entire house at once...
although that is the more economical method in the long run

Siding now comes in so many options
Wood, Vinyl, Aluminum, Cement Board etc
Do some research to determine which one is best for your needs
Budget, Climate, the look you want / colours etc

Agree with @Cas77 Can-Exel is awesome
But not cheap

Ball park, whole house your size, in vinyl ... $ 10 K

PS.. Mike Holmes did a few good articles on siding, I will see if I can find them for you
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/ho ... cle571949/
http://nationalpost.com/life/homes/mike ... -of-siding
http://nationalpost.com/life/homes/clim ... est-siding
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
If I was to have to replace the siding , I would go for an insulated siding. Why not get the most out of an expensive situation.
Both my neighbors re-sided their homes within the past 3 or 4 years. One with insulated siding and the other regular vinyl. They were homes similar to yours. It was in the Ottawa area. (they had aluminum siding like all the homes in my area).
Cost, well, they both paid over $15K. The insulated one cost almost $20K and added R7 to the home (also added some sound deadening).
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4723 posts
4224 upvotes
Toronto
It's Nanaimo - I wouldn't bother with insulation. It will never pay for itself and the only way to really insulate a house is to open the walls and do it right. Unless you add significant layers on the exterior you're not going to get much out of it, especially in a moderate climate.

Just because your home inspector said to do something doesn't mean you have to do it obviously.

To remove, repair any sheathing, wrap the house properly and replace with decent vinyl and redo the aluminum (unless you want to keep the white) you're likely looking at a solid $20K based on the size of your place. Maybe less.

The fact yours is vertical suggests it is not that old but perhaps it is more susceptible to leaks. I replaced the 25 year old vinyl on our cottage and the crap OSB sheathing underneath was 100% perfect even with only 2 strips of tar paper that didn't overlap and left much of the sheathing uncovered.

It was all removed along with the aluminum soffits/fascia. It was completely wrapped, new aluminum work and new Mitten vinyl. Traditional siding look, but in a more up to date colour along with cedar shakes on the sunroom addition.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12147 posts
7338 upvotes
Paris
Pete_Coach wrote: If I was to have to replace the siding , I would go for an insulated siding. Why not get the most out of an expensive situation.
Both my neighbors re-sided their homes within the past 3 or 4 years. One with insulated siding and the other regular vinyl. They were homes similar to yours. It was in the Ottawa area. (they had aluminum siding like all the homes in my area).
Cost, well, they both paid over $15K. The insulated one cost almost $20K and added R7 to the home (also added some sound deadening).
We do siding jobs and I think the insulated siding is a rip. Adding sheets of foam board THEN putting siding on overtop makes way more sense and is less money.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Jerico wrote: We do siding jobs and I think the insulated siding is a rip. Adding sheets of foam board THEN putting siding on overtop makes way more sense and is less money.
But it does have insulating properties and if you cannot get additional insulation otherwise, it is a viable option. Of course covering the entire house with rigid foam boards is better but, significantly more expensive and, in a moderate climate like Nanaimo, the insulated siding may be a good cost effective option.
[OP]
Apr 29, 2017
291 posts
98 upvotes
Thanks for the advice and opinions. I deleted the pictures as Toronto tim pointed out that you can find my address through the pics. I take possession in 2 weeks and will get quotes but will take your advice into consideration. I guess it will be fairly expensive but will look nicer than what I have.
Aug 12, 2010
58 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Aluminum Siding near the second floor window pops up from the wall leaving a space in between. Didn't know when it happened; probably due to strong wind in the spring? The whole siding area seems not lying flat on the wall. It is facing north or north west along the walkway to backyards.

Could I simply use Le Page Construction adhesive to glue the siding it back to the wall as advised by a HomeDepot staff member?

House is about 45 years. Can roofers or window installers fix it without opening the whole area?

Thank you.