Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1030 posts
659 upvotes
Canada

Signal vs Telegram ?

I would like to get one for an android tablet. Wich one do you prefer and why ?
26 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1108 posts
1409 upvotes
Mississauga
Signal. It's more secure, also less folks using it (in the past at least)
Apr 18, 2010
347 posts
93 upvotes
You can make calls on either?

Want to drop
WhatsApp.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4670 posts
2025 upvotes
GTA
Signal. Communications are encrypted by default
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1051 posts
1704 upvotes
Alberta
Alternatives to WhatsApp - Signal, Telegram, Threema compared.
https://threema.ch/en/messenger-comparison
Jan 12 2021

Based in Switzerland, Threema doesn't require your phone number or email to register, nor demand access to your contacts.
Threema just recently open-sourced their app, and in November had a comprehensive Cure53 security audit completed.
https://threema.ch/en/blog

--
WhatsApp will now share your data with Facebook whether you like it or not
Jan 6
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20243 posts
8315 upvotes
Toronto
Signal is more secure. Telegram is more convenient as it can be used on multiple devices at a time.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16047 posts
4551 upvotes
Markham
Last edited by Keigotw on Jan 12th, 2021 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16047 posts
4551 upvotes
Markham
the Co-founder of Whatsapp
is same Co-founder of Signal
"Brian Acton"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Acton
In September 2017, Acton left WhatsApp.[15] Acton told Forbes that he left over a dispute with Facebook regarding monetization of WhatsApp, and voluntarily left $850 million in unvested options on the table by leaving a few months before vesting was completed.[16][17] He also noted that he was coached by Facebook executives to mislead European regulators regarding Facebook's intention to merge Facebook and WhatsApp user data.[18]
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16047 posts
4551 upvotes
Markham
Bold007 wrote: You can make calls on either?

Want to drop
WhatsApp.
Signal has video call and voice call
just like whatsapp
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Apr 18, 2010
347 posts
93 upvotes
Keigotw wrote: Signal has video call and voice call
just like whatsapp
Just downloaded.
Thanks.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1108 posts
1409 upvotes
Mississauga
I have been using all 3 services for years. Signal has always been my go to for more clandestine activities (ask me no questions...), However it's interface is clunky, not nearly as well polished as the other 2.

Telegram, I never really trusted the Russian connection, and the multiple Iranian hacks just made it feel insecure. But for chatting with total strangers about mundane stuff, I have no complaints.

Finally I think WhatsApp will be fine in the end. The arrogance of that opt-in message rubbed so many people the wrong way, and they might have shot themselves in the foot, but its core users - families across the world, will stay on.
Too many people who don't care about the privacy implications of opting in, are their core users.
Keep in mind the origin of the platform, back when Blackberries (remember those), were all the rage, BBM was restricted and no one else could get access. WhatsApp became a worthwhile cross-platform alternative which did so well that when BBM was finally opened to everyone, no one bothered to use it. We were all heavily into WhatsApp.
A lot of folks will switch over, and I think Telegram will be the major beneficiary, but in the end WhatsApp will retain a lot of users.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16047 posts
4551 upvotes
Markham
Gangsta101 wrote: I have been using all 3 services for years. Signal has always been my go to for more clandestine activities (ask me no questions...), However it's interface is clunky, not nearly as well polished as the other 2.

Telegram, I never really trusted the Russian connection, and the multiple Iranian hacks just made it feel insecure. But for chatting with total strangers about mundane stuff, I have no complaints.

Finally I think WhatsApp will be fine in the end. The arrogance of that opt-in message rubbed so many people the wrong way, and they might have shot themselves in the foot, but its core users - families across the world, will stay on.
Too many people who don't care about the privacy implications of opting in, are their core users.
Keep in mind the origin of the platform, back when Blackberries (remember those), were all the rage, BBM was restricted and no one else could get access. WhatsApp became a worthwhile cross-platform alternative which did so well that when BBM was finally opened to everyone, no one bothered to use it. We were all heavily into WhatsApp.
A lot of folks will switch over, and I think Telegram will be the major beneficiary, but in the end WhatsApp will retain a lot of users.

With many people signing up to Signal
they are doing many updates and fixes now
2 updates this week already
and they are hiring ( US Only )
https://signal.org/workworkwork/
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1108 posts
1409 upvotes
Mississauga
Keigotw wrote: With many people signing up to Signal
they are doing many updates and fixes now
2 updates this week already
and they are hiring ( US Only )
https://signal.org/workworkwork/
I feel kinda sad about this. All these past years, having Signal on your phone used to be a badge of "wokeness"! Only very few people knew enough to use it - those who listened to what Snowden had to say.
Now it's every where and there'll be nothing "special" about using signal now. Damn you FB!
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20172 posts
775 upvotes
Shanghai, China
Gangsta101 wrote: I have been using all 3 services for years. Signal has always been my go to for more clandestine activities (ask me no questions...), However it's interface is clunky, not nearly as well polished as the other 2.

I think you pretty much nailed the history of BBM. Blackberry certainly made a lot of mistakes with their products. It's probably a good lesson for business school! I don't trust Telegram at all. Its security have never been audited by an independent credible firm. I rather trust Apple and iMessage than Telegram and its Russian connection. Heck, I would rather use WhatsApp than Telegram. I just started using Signal fairly recently and it's clear that the app have a long way to go before it's mature. I really do hope Signal will become the new standard and everyone in the future will use it.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20172 posts
775 upvotes
Shanghai, China
Gangsta101 wrote: I feel kinda sad about this. All these past years, having Signal on your phone used to be a badge of "wokeness"! Only very few people knew enough to use it - those who listened to what Snowden had to say.
Now it's every where and there'll be nothing "special" about using signal now. Damn you FB!
Why don't you want Signal to be mainstream? Signal's security have already been proven. We're now living in extraordinary times where Western democracies want to wrestle away out right to privacy. I'm alarmed at the constant barking from law enforcement about the need to have a backdoor installed in communication apps under the guise to go after criminals.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1108 posts
1409 upvotes
Mississauga
Sgt_Strider wrote: Why don't you want Signal to be mainstream? Signal's security have already been proven. We're now living in extraordinary times where Western democracies want to wrestle away out right to privacy. I'm alarmed at the constant barking from law enforcement about the need to have a backdoor installed in communication apps under the guise to go after criminals.
Don't get me wrong. I am rooting for Signal (just as I was rooting for WhatsApp). I would love for them to become mainstream and everyone use it.
It's just that feeling that someone private and special has become public! I feel a profound sense of loss, but I'm glad it's catching on.