Shopping Discussion

Signing up for the Freshco email list coupon ($5 off $35) multiple times - fraudulent? or just unethical?

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2021 12:00 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario

Signing up for the Freshco email list coupon ($5 off $35) multiple times - fraudulent? or just unethical?

Freshco has a $5 off $35 coupon when signing up to their email list.

Is it fraud or unethical to sign up for this multiple times?
Last edited by Mars2012 on Nov 11th, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited title for clarity
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
16 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
minimalist wrote: Freshco has a $5 off $35 coupon when signing up to their email list.

if u have to ask u know the answer already...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8555 posts
11769 upvotes
GTA
You should ask the people who signed up for the $10 off $50 coupon from Lowe's multiple times.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
That's why some of their locations don't accept online coupons.
<inappropriate signature>
Oct 8, 2020
297 posts
444 upvotes
Ottawa
minimalist wrote: Freshco has a $5 off $35 coupon when signing up to their email list.

Fraud is a strong word and I think we could all debate whether or not it's fraudulent or not. I think ethical is the more appropriate word. Not passing judgment or saying what's right or wrong except to say that the company isn't stupid when doing this type of promotion. I think they know when rolling out this kind of thing that it's next to impossible to prevent 1 person from using 1 coupon only once. They've likely set a budget or are monitoring to see if this increases sales and customer count. If the same people are printing off these $5 coupons and shopping at FreshCo (and it's benefitting them) when they'd normally shop at a competitor then I think that's something FreshCo will live with. At the same time, I don't think they'd knowingly allow the same people to continue doing it aka you going to the same store everyday and the same cashier.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
It’s not fraud but you could argue it’s lying. You aren’t generating a fake coupon but you are misleading freshco into thinking you are a new customer. Rather or not you want to is completely up to you but I wouldn’t call this fraud since the coupon is legit and you went through legitimate portals to obtain the coupon.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1525 posts
1657 upvotes
ON
Just look in RFD how popular the gmail dot trick is Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Keep in mind you are spending $30 at FreshCo even with the coupon. So I don't think they care about how many coupons you use since they will get your $30+. It's not like a $5 off $5 coupon.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
In fact I don't seem to find anything on their page indicating it's first time sign up only so at least Sobeys, as a corporate, does not care to the degree of putting in restrictions on how much times one person can use the coupon for now. But who knows if they would take any action if too many people are doing this?

This acc reminds me of fast food coupon: people who want to save would spend time or take the trouble to acquire them. Okay not a very good analogy but you know what I mean. Yet some individual FreshCo stores do put up notice of "we do not accept online coupons". I suspect that it's to prevent misuse and they do mind.

I always give the same answer for "grey area" questions like these: if you feel like you are in good conscience after doing this then go ahead. Do not seek validation from a forum.
<inappropriate signature>
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
1660 posts
1945 upvotes
I doubt that they care, as most grocery runs are $100 to $200...
People don't run around multiple grocery stores anymore...
My Costco runs are over $300 each time now.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
I've signed up for the Sportchek 10% off email about 30 times now. They're still making profit off your purchase, don't worry about it.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
carmaster wrote: Keep in mind you are spending $30 at FreshCo even with the coupon. So I don't think they care about how many coupons you use since they will get your $30+. It's not like a $5 off $5 coupon.
That's EXACTLY it. This isn't fraud. It's just an evil trick to stop you from doing any shopping over at the competition. (sometimes a competing grocery store is just across the street)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7138 upvotes
It's really interesting to see the number of people on this site that consistently take a self-righteous position by claiming that large companies are being ripped off by customers for doing something they think is immoral or fraudulent such as this even though these seem companies consistently rip off customers but yet don't take issue with that.

BTW this tread title is misleading.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2019
1203 posts
878 upvotes
Ontario
Is this $5 off on the $35 e-flayer offer stopped now?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)