[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2833 posts
655 upvotes
Mississauga

Silicone grill mats - do you use them?

Yes or no? Why or why not?
I am thinking of getting something for my grill for those small items and not sure whether to get one of these or to go with a ss half sheet pan.
15 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10835 posts
992 upvotes
These are disgusting. Please don't even think about it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7194 posts
2447 upvotes
Markham
For small items that you worry about falling thru, just use foil or even those foil grill trays...alternatively don't cut those small things so small. I lose few pieces of zukes or onions or mushrooms but I don't worry about it.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12581 posts
673 upvotes
If you are referring to the type of mats in the pic attached:

1. You might as well cook on your non stick pan inside or use your oven if you are going to use a grill mat.
2. Can't go above 500 maybe 550 degrees Fahrenheit or you risk exposing yourself to potential carcinogens
3. The sheets are sensitive to scratching and creasing

May come in handy if you wanted to cook a piece of fish but you can easily put a pan directly on your grill grate. Want to cook veggies, use a basket.

What is the point of the mat? You think it will look like the food in the pics? What do you plan on cooking on it.

Edit: if the coals are piled up like in the stock pic attached, you will surely burn out the mat.
Images
  • inspire-uplift-chef-non-stick-bbq-grill-mat-chef-non-stick-bbq-grill-mat-1755211759627_750x.progressive.jpg
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14157 posts
4104 upvotes
Here 'n There
I would never cook food on anything that is plastic or a variant of it, only glass or metal. It's not safe regardless of what the people who are selling it to you try to tell you (they are biased, duh!) and oh so easily avoidable.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
4847 posts
1998 upvotes
many of these mats state in the packaging not to use for BBQ. You best read the warnings on the packaging prior to purchase
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
6782 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
My friend uses these and while cleanup is a breeze...you might as well pan fry this and stick it in an oven.. the taste is not the same.. for small items like other posters have mentioned just use foil or put them on skewers and put them on a bias diagonally to avoid anything falling through your Q
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12495 posts
1901 upvotes
City of Vancouver
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18615 posts
3236 upvotes
GTA West
I would never use something like this in a BBQ where I don't have direct control of the temperature.
For delicate stuff like fish, IMO it is better to use a small baking tray like 9 x 12" or similar and put that tray down directly on the grill.
This way you don't have to worry about flaky fish falling through the grill.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5675 posts
1510 upvotes
Montreal
badOne wrote:
May 4th, 2019 10:47 am
many of these mats state in the packaging not to use for BBQ. You best read the warnings on the packaging prior to purchase
OP isn't talking about the type you use in the oven but rather the type specifically marketed for use in BBQs like these Cookina sheets which are sold in hardware stores everywhere.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cook ... 1985p.html
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
4847 posts
1998 upvotes
why cant you just put another grate with smaller gaps on top of the existing grill if the idea is not to have food fall through the grate?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2833 posts
655 upvotes
Mississauga
Becks wrote:
May 5th, 2019 5:46 pm
These are exactly what I am thinking about. Still dont see a reason not to use them.
Aug 12, 2012
756 posts
261 upvotes
Richmond Hill
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
May 6th, 2019 12:46 pm
These are exactly what I am thinking about. Still dont see a reason not to use them.
I had one (not this brand) with my old gas grill and it worked well. Easy clean up and no flare ups. Use plastic utensils on it to avoid scratches.

Now I use a basket like this and I like it even more. Still can risk flare ups on a gas grill, but no risk of the food falling off (I lost a few asparagus with the mat) and easy to get everything off the grill quickly.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Grill-Mark ... 5W9ISD8S5L