Travel

sim card for HK and Japan

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2018 10:34 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 31, 2006
4981 posts
875 upvotes
Toronto

sim card for HK and Japan

is there any sim card that works for both places? or is it better to buy it separately.
HEATWARE 18-0-0 since 2006
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003

IG: mkdrone_
15 replies
Sr. Member
Jan 30, 2013
883 posts
191 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
AIS sim2fly but its hard to get except from ebay
Newbie
Mar 17, 2014
7 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
For Japan, I got a free SIM with 500MB LTE data when been there last year. This is their website. https://www.wamazing.jp/ The caught is they are targeting HK and Taiwanese residents and need to install their app. The app is in Chinese only, so you need to understand Chinese or having a Chinese friend; and you also need to have a iOS/google account registered in HK/TW region in order to download the app.

Before my flight to Japan, I downloaded the app, registered with my CC info (for authorization only, they did not charge any YEN at the end). Then I arrived at the airport in Japan and picked up the SIM at the Vending machine right outside the security area.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 31, 2006
4981 posts
875 upvotes
Toronto
hongkongkt wrote: For Japan, I got a free SIM with 500MB LTE data when been there last year. This is their website. https://www.wamazing.jp/ The caught is they are targeting HK and Taiwanese residents and need to install their app. The app is in Chinese only, so you need to understand Chinese or having a Chinese friend; and you also need to have a iOS/google account registered in HK/TW region in order to download the app.

Before my flight to Japan, I downloaded the app, registered with my CC info (for authorization only, they did not charge any YEN at the end). Then I arrived at the airport in Japan and picked up the SIM at the Vending machine right outside the security area.
which city did you go to? I am going to Osaka. seem like the machine is all the way at another terminal.
HEATWARE 18-0-0 since 2006
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003

IG: mkdrone_
Newbie
Mar 7, 2011
63 posts
38 upvotes
I use HappySim while I was traveling in SE Asia this past year.
You can easily get them in the street stalls in HKG Shum Shui Po district. This sim can be used in both HKG and JPN. You may also be able to order these online.

The acutal company is from StarHub and the sim for roaming is called HappyRoam.
http://www.starhub.com/personal/mobile/ ... -roam.html
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 26, 2003
9927 posts
1370 upvotes
Buy a 10 day sim in HK. Was cheap last time I was there. Unlimited LTE from NTT Docomo
Sr. Member
Jan 30, 2013
883 posts
191 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
title says one single sim card for both Japan +HK ,no?
Penalty Box
Aug 10, 2010
781 posts
198 upvotes
Mars.
Buy them separately. Been to both several times. It's cheaper to buy them separately. NRT and HND have great options through Softbank.
Don't be a cooch.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 7, 2003
20485 posts
961 upvotes
Shanghai, China
taro-chan wrote: Buy a 10 day sim in HK. Was cheap last time I was there. Unlimited LTE from NTT Docomo
How does one do that if they arrive in Japan first?
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 31, 2006
4981 posts
875 upvotes
Toronto
I'm gonna to hk first and then Osaka. Do they have softbank at Osaka airport
HEATWARE 18-0-0 since 2006
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003

IG: mkdrone_
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 7, 2003
20485 posts
961 upvotes
Shanghai, China
taro-chan wrote: Buy a 10 day sim in HK. Was cheap last time I was there. Unlimited LTE from NTT Docomo
Which one is that? I was in HK for a week earlier this year and I got a 5GB card. It wasn't enough. I used up all of my data by my 5th day. I decided it wasn't worth the money to top up with data and used Telus' Easy Roam feature to finish my last two days.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 7, 2003
20485 posts
961 upvotes
Shanghai, China
superangrypenguin wrote: Buy them separately. Been to both several times. It's cheaper to buy them separately. NRT and HND have great options through Softbank.
What are the options?
Newbie
Mar 17, 2014
7 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
marktang wrote: which city did you go to? I am going to Osaka. seem like the machine is all the way at another terminal.

I entered at Nagoya airport. They also have machine at KIX airport (https://www.wamazing.jp/yatais/54) but it is at T1. If you are taking airline like Peach which will use T2, you will have to go back to Arrival floor at T1 for the machine after taking the shuttle bus for the train station plaza (https://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/access/t2).
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 26, 2003
9927 posts
1370 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote: Which one is that? I was in HK for a week earlier this year and I got a 5GB card. It wasn't enough. I used up all of my data by my 5th day. I decided it wasn't worth the money to top up with data and used Telus' Easy Roam feature to finish my last two days.
Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you. I just walked up to a stall in Sham Shui Po and picked up a SIM. It was labeled as NTT and worked as such. It was a blank sim card with no markings.

Top