Travel

Sim card/ Phone plan for while in US (since Roammobile is gone now)?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2022 12:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9253 posts
1631 upvotes
TO

Sim card/ Phone plan for while in US (since Roammobile is gone now)?

Hi friends,

I'll be in states next week to see my family and while I had Roam MObile sim, too bad they shut down last year.

I'm with Koodo and they have roam like home at $10.20/day and was wondering if anyone here has used any other options?

The one thing I noticed some canadians do is pick up PAYG sim from T-mobile stores and get their daily or prepaid plans.

Does anyone know of a better/plan for 10 days? I see tracphone may be cheaper as I want to maintain a Canadian sim (koodo) in-case I get calls (or I should forward them to the US#).

Thanks
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
35 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9253 posts
1631 upvotes
TO
scorown wrote: I have used this seller in the past 2-3 times at least and it worked as expected. Ultra mobile uses T-Mobile network
https://www.ebay.com/itm/182231082258?e ... SwURJgUJq4

Should mention that they only ship to US, so if you are okay with this SIM getting delivered to your family's place
This is great, I'll get it to have it shipped for next week. I used to use Oxygen Mobile or H20 mobile (can't remember) pay as you go sim $10 back when I used to travel to Vegas. I don't see them anymore.

Thanks again.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2004
1438 posts
965 upvotes
If you have a iphone with Esim capability, you can get a test drive of their network. I used it for my trip to the US in July.

"T-Mobile says the eSIM option is a pilot program that it introduced last week. Currently, it only works with unlocked iPhones starting with XS and newer devices that are running iOS 14.5 or higher. If you have an iPhone 12-gen device, you’ll also have access to T-Mobile’s 5G network during your trial."

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9253 posts
1631 upvotes
TO
Punky Hunky wrote: If you have a iphone with Esim capability, you can get a test drive of their network. I used it for my trip to the US in July.

"T-Mobile says the eSIM option is a pilot program that it introduced last week. Currently, it only works with unlocked iPhones starting with XS and newer devices that are running iOS 14.5 or higher. If you have an iPhone 12-gen device, you’ll also have access to T-Mobile’s 5G network during your trial."

Amazing! I was just reading about how many US Telcos are doing this via eSim capability inlcuding Mint Mobile which has crazy cheap plans and runs on T-Mobile ($15/month with data unlimited mins but gotta buy 3 months minimum).

I'm on Pixlel 2XL so probably can't use but I may pick up iPhone XS for my trip.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4648 posts
552 upvotes
I've always used knowroaming but it's also decent for Europe and Asia too.

Tello is also pretty cheap with a local #.
Depending on how often you're in the US it might be something to consider.
https://tello.com/

FTR, I have no experience with them, but next time I go to the US, I plan on signing up with them.
Also seems you can change your plans as needed, so while not "free" you could simply drop down to the min plan and then change it again when you know you'll be travelling.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9253 posts
1631 upvotes
TO
IceBlueShoes wrote: I've always used knowroaming but it's also decent for Europe and Asia too.

Tello is also pretty cheap with a local #.
Depending on how often you're in the US it might be something to consider.
https://tello.com/

FTR, I have no experience with them, but next time I go to the US, I plan on signing up with them.
Also seems you can change your plans as needed, so while not "free" you could simply drop down to the min plan and then change it again when you know you'll be travelling.
Thanks, I totally forgot how popular knowroaming was in 2020 on RFD with free sims and some folks using it on the canadian side with free data.

TELLO i was reading about them on slickdeals.net site and yeah they seem to be a good, but you gotta top-up every 90 days or they take away credit or something.
Jun 8, 2019
87 posts
70 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Travelling through California currently with family, I was able to drop in to a T-Mobile on Day 1 and get sim's for $25 ($10 activation and $15 prepaid plan) with 2.5GB data
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9088 posts
2978 upvotes
Mississauga
I need a sim card for Hawaii in December .
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Aug 8, 2020
820 posts
299 upvotes
Raggie wrote: I need a sim card for Hawaii in December .
Get the tello sim from Amazon shipped to your resort so it's there for you ready. I got mint mobile card for now
Jan 31, 2007
505 posts
330 upvotes
T-Mobile sim on Amazon.ca, 50 GB for 15 days, $30.

The price is volatile on amazon though. Changes every week it seems
Aug 5, 2011
695 posts
417 upvotes
Punky Hunky wrote: If you have an IOS device you just have to download the app from the US Itunes store.
Does this still work in Oct? Will be leaving for US in one week.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
20014 posts
5746 upvotes
Scarberia
should i just pay like 25$ bucks from FM for usa roaming on a 3 day usa trip? or get one of those travel tMobile sims off amazon! thx
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
20014 posts
5746 upvotes
Scarberia
CALITSLA wrote: Get the tello sim from Amazon shipped to your resort so it's there for you ready. I got mint mobile card for now
can u get stuff delivered to your hotel room in vegas? ubereats? tia
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Aug 8, 2020
820 posts
299 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: can u get stuff delivered to your hotel room in vegas? ubereats? tia
What I did was just put that hotel address on my Amazon shipment. Tell the hotel if they have special instructions to put because they may do that.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2003
1132 posts
49 upvotes
Burnaby
Punky Hunky wrote: If you have a iphone with Esim capability, you can get a test drive of their network. I used it for my trip to the US in July.

How did you get this since it's only in the USA app store?
I like Maynards Gummies
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2637 posts
2191 upvotes
GTA West
I would stick with T-Mobile.

- You know they will be around and it is easier to deal with them than a reseller on Ebay etc. if you have any unforeseen problems. They have a lot of stores.
- You can find easily find out the T-Mobile coverage areas and frequency bands but you may not know this information for a reseller.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)