None
[OP]
Feb 28, 2010
462 posts
146 upvotes

Sim Cards

need a telus sim card, came across this

http://www.izonedeals.ca/collections/sim-cards

are sims relatively simple? Telus wants $10 so $1.79 sounds pretty good to me, does it matter what province you are in etc? or is it the sim canada wide and you just pick your number at activation? does it matter if i'm going to go on prepaid or monthly? or is a sim a sim?
16 replies
Apr 14, 2009
287 posts
76 upvotes
Calgary
Some are full sized cards only. Some micro and some full. No Nano You can always cut them of course. Just be aware of what type of card you need
Dec 24, 2012
184 posts
50 upvotes
they have micro available also for some of them.
Mar 10, 2012
74 posts
11 upvotes
Coldstream
another note is that if they are an older version sim card they may not support LTE or NFC, personally I have never used that website so not sure what there reputation is like
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2008
1175 posts
236 upvotes
End of nowhere
Order a Koodo prepaid sim card for couple of bucks, will see.

Thanks OP.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3172 posts
1069 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
If I ordered a free sim from Public Mobile, could I use it on Koodo?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36342 posts
9606 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
dr_pepper wrote: You can always cut them of course. Just be aware of what type of card you need
I don't recommend cutting SIM cards

They have different thickness. A nano SIM is not as thick as a micro SIM. If you cut a micro SIM down to a Nano SIM, it will still be too thick and may jam in the SIM slot.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
25538 posts
15377 upvotes
Toronto
Always get a nano SIM where possible. Use SIM adapter as required. Adapters are $1 on eBay.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21253 posts
7661 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: I don't recommend cutting SIM cards

They have different thickness. A nano SIM is not as thick as a micro SIM. If you cut a micro SIM down to a Nano SIM, it will still be too thick and may jam in the SIM slot.
Yep.

I will only cut a card in an "emergency" situation. eg. New phone, no appropriate SIM, and all the stores are closed.
will888 wrote: Always get a nano SIM where possible. Use SIM adapter as required. Adapters are $1 on eBay.
I disagree. While the SIM adapters work, it's possible for the nano SIMs to become partially dislodged, and that can also cause jams if you're talking about phones with slide in SIM trays. IMO, SIM adapters are best used for specific situations when you need to use a nano-SIM in a different phone temporarily. Not a good permanent solution, unless you're talking about one of those phones where the whole SIM connector is visible so a dislodged SIM card can be easily removed.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1476 posts
526 upvotes
Ottawa
Marzipan wrote: If I ordered a free sim from Public Mobile, could I use it on Koodo?
No, sim cards are specific to the providers.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2010
462 posts
146 upvotes
will888 wrote: Always get a nano SIM where possible. Use SIM adapter as required. Adapters are $1 on eBay.
I screwed up a samsung phone doing this, it added thickness and it it got stuck, pins on the phone got damaged, Samsung would not repair under warranty. Yes i was very careful too, I didn't just jam it in there. It was ok until the minute i tried to remove the sim and one of the pins snapped.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
25538 posts
15377 upvotes
Toronto
I always try to get the smallest SIM possible and use adapters to upsize where required. So far, I have been lucky I guess.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36342 posts
9606 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
will888 wrote: I always try to get the smallest SIM possible and use adapters to upsize where required. So far, I have been lucky I guess.
Not worth risking the cost of your cell phone to save $10 on a proper SIM
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21253 posts
7661 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting that Telus wants $10, when they charge only $5 for SIMs from their daughter company Koodo.

However, either way, it's not much money. Gone are the days of $25 SIMs thankfully.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1476 posts
526 upvotes
Ottawa
hawkridge wrote: are sims relatively simple? Telus wants $10 so $1.79 sounds pretty good to me.
By the way I was told that some of these companies are selling the card at a loss, and their solely purpose is to collect your contact information. On eBay you can find people selling 3 sim cards for 0.99c plus free shipping. Made you wonder how the heck they can make money out of them.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2010
462 posts
146 upvotes
Recieved, called up telus and activated, all went smooth, thanks to all those that answered