Request-A-Deal

Simple Laptop for Mom (not Chromebook)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2021 2:46 pm
[OP]
Aug 18, 2002
79 posts

Simple Laptop for Mom (not Chromebook)

Looking for a $500 or less laptop for Mom. She doesn't want a Chromebook and wants HDMI to connect to TV.
I think it should have 8GB DDR4 RAM to future proof a little and not lag, as well as an SSD. The other specs don't matter as much.
I'm having a pretty hard time finding something like that in the Deals pages/forum right now and even before, on during Boxing week.

There was a good $500 deal that I think has now expired - hot-dell-vostro-15-3500-laptop-i5-1135g ... b-2433103/

Everything else I see after that one is Staples laptops with a mechanical/platter HDD which is obviously not great. Any ideas??
7 replies
[OP]
Aug 18, 2002
79 posts
that's cool, never heard of that place. but starts at $400+ for a refurbished laptop with SSD, which doesn't look that great compared to the Vostro deal above :(
i'll keep it in mind for next time, could be great for more high end refurbs like i7 CPUs
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
22092 posts
16671 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
yyzyvr wrote: that's cool, never heard of that place. but starts at $400+ for a refurbished laptop with SSD, which doesn't look that great compared to the Vostro deal above :(
i'll keep it in mind for next time, could be great for more high end refurbs like i7 CPUs
Look at their refurb'd ThinkPads like T450/T460 series. These are rugged systems that are far better built than most Dells. Some even come with i7 CPUs. I don't recall if they have HDMI or DP ports but either way it's a cable or adapter to go from DP to HDMI.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
3184 posts
3267 upvotes
GTA
yyzyvr wrote: that's cool, never heard of that place. but starts at $400+ for a refurbished laptop with SSD, which doesn't look that great compared to the Vostro deal above :(
Yes, forgot to mention, they have great workhorse refurb laptops. However, due to covid and lockdown, not many Dells and prices are significantly higher than a year ago, reflecting the lower supply and higher WFH demand.

As @bylo mentioned, the refurb T450/460 Thinkpads are great, although current pricing at Bauer may be a bit too much for your Mom's laptop.
[OP]
Aug 18, 2002
79 posts
I would say it's too much right now for sure. You guys seeing any deals for new laptops around $500 or less?
Jul 18, 2019
353 posts
858 upvotes
North York ON
You can look at Dell and see if they are running deals. I have a unidays account and can get you a 10% off code.