Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Locked: Free Canadian Tax Return Software (Pay What You Want)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2016 2:49 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 14, 2005
747 posts
85 upvotes
Etobicoke
Good on you... I suggest anyone who uses simpletax to do the same as fudgeu and save a cancer victim or puppy. Use their service for free and donate what you can to a charity.

Hats off to you fudgeu for doing both!
Sep 14, 2005
747 posts
85 upvotes
Etobicoke
Just between us though, I would rather donate to a charity x2 vs. These three people
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2012
1334 posts
617 upvotes
Used StudioTax and hated the UI. Last year I used SimpleTax.ca and I fell in love. Will be using SimpleTax again this year.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
RFDers will give them exactly $0.00
Deal Guru
Feb 14, 2006
10084 posts
1418 upvotes
I'd only trust my tax info with client-side applications vs. cloud/web-based forms.

Just my 2 cents.
Aug 25, 2011
104 posts
164 upvotes
Calgary
Ungoverned wrote: You should go to bed, things like HiFi audio isn't the only link. Take a hint from Suter, stay quiet.

Regardless, use simpletax and tell your friends to donate to charity! Start a movement.
don't bother paying attention to this guy. He gets enjoyment out of bugging you.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/yo ... nd-sadists
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1425 posts
640 upvotes
I will throw them a few bucks. first time doing my own taxes and this is a huge time saver for me.
Sep 28, 2009
26 posts
5 upvotes
K-Dub
I used Simple Tax last year and will do so again this year. Much easier to use that other Tax applications. No problem with donating.

Also, not at all worried about using a cloud based platform either.
Nov 16, 2013
917 posts
330 upvotes
GTA
SerLoras wrote: Why no love for Genutax on this board? I've been using it for years, it's free, downloadable, netfile certified and extremely user-friendly (a little too user friendly some might say - it walks you through every conceivable credit and deduction - how many people answer yes to "have you taken a vow of perpetual poverty"?)

Anyway I love Genutax and highly recommend it. I'm surprised I keep hearing about Simpletax vs Studiotax but never Genutax.
I am bumping this quote as I noticed it was totally ignored .

Either no one has used Genutax or they are not happy.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
1165 posts
198 upvotes
Will look at Genutax, but will probably use Simpletax for at least one return so I can show some appreciation ($$) for their product. Don't care whether it's one guy and his dog, 3 people, or a giant corporation - if it's a good product and I found it useful, I'm very happy to pay something for it. And of course I will also donate to worthy charities/causes - not mutually-exclusive! :)
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2013
1476 posts
461 upvotes
TurboTax is good
Sep 1, 2010
254 posts
148 upvotes
Can you use simple tax to file rental units? If no, which software would someone recommend to file with and why?
Thank you!
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
965 upvotes
Victoria
westssaa wrote: TurboTax is good
I switched from TurboTax to this cheaper option two years ago and am so glad I did. Both are fantastic products, but this one happens to be much cheaper (I pay StudioTax $5)
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
965 upvotes
Victoria
Ungoverned wrote: Just between us though, I would rather donate to a charity x2 vs. These three people
Then pay TurboTax more money for the same service! How people can find negatives in people providing a service and allowing people to choose how much they pay for it is beyond me.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
965 upvotes
Victoria
TheRed wrote: RFDers will give them exactly $0.00
I think I saw a survey somewhere that RFDers actually donate more to charities than the average Canadian. I think a lot of them also see value in using this service and chipping in $5 knowing that if they do not, it will likely sink the operation and we'll be back to paying TurboTax $20 for the same thing.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2010
1353 posts
1220 upvotes
The Great North
Happy that a cheaper option is available.
Nov 17, 2013
15 posts
14 upvotes
Vancouver
cuppagogo wrote: Can you use simple tax to file rental units?
You bet! Just add a T776 to your tax return.
Oct 22, 2007
71 posts
Burlington
@jsuter - please check your PM.

Cheers
Aug 19, 2002
461 posts
235 upvotes
In spite of my reservations earlier in this thread -- and, also, because of the responses -- when I did our taxes I ended up trying SimpleTax and it really was a joy to use.

I duplicated everything in StudioTax and at first there seemed to be a discrepancy, but after going over all the forms I determined that StudioTax had automatically applied charitable donations carried forward from the previous years that I have been saving to use next year. Once I corrected this in StudioTax, the two returns matched to the penny.

Aside from a couple minor status quirks when switching between profiles, SimpleTax was complete bliss compared to the doubt-inducing mess of a UI that is StudioTax. I've been using StudioTax for several years and every year it has gotten some things mixed up during the import from the previous year that I would need to correct. I'm a software developer so I haven't found it too difficult to work past its quirks, but for the same reason I found them somewhat distressing, and it has led me to always carefully check the results.

Both programs benefit from applying some effort and research into your tax situation, but I found the wizard-free workflow of SimpleTax aligns much better with the way I like to approach things. I've used other tax programs in the past as well, but my needs aren't too elaborate and all I really sought was a bit of automation and data entry, which is why I had originally switched to using a free tool like StudioTax over the paid alternatives in the first place.

I gladly sent a small payment to the SimpleTax devs, and I will be recommending the site to everyone who asks me for tax software recommendations from now on.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2005
1353 posts
447 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)