Personal Finance

Simpli Financial review - Nightmare to activate an account

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2020 10:39 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
Mar 6, 2010
519 posts
171 upvotes
Brampton

Simpli Financial review - Nightmare to activate an account

I opened a new account and received the debit card. It has been a week since I have been trying to activate the card on the phone. each time the wait exceeds one hour.
So much for customer service! This shows me what I can expect if there is a problem with my account tomorrow.
is there any other no fee bank account I can open?
10 replies
[OP]
Sr. Member
Mar 6, 2010
519 posts
171 upvotes
Brampton
cocotheparrot wrote: Have you tried calling late night?
Not late but had to wait for an hour and 10 mins when I called at 9 pm on a week day
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
1639 posts
2448 upvotes
BC
I though Simpli was an online bank? Don't they have online card activation like Tangerine? Or in the mobile app?
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 31, 2003
3047 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Do you have your PIN? A quick search says that to activate the debit card you just have to make a Chip/PIN transaction or do something like use an ATM to check balance, etc...
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 16, 2019
1062 posts
1170 upvotes
luking wrote: is there any other no fee bank account I can open?
Yep. The thread summary has a bunch of options.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Mar 6, 2010
519 posts
171 upvotes
Brampton
Chrispy wrote: Do you have your PIN? A quick search says that to activate the debit card you just have to make a Chip/PIN transaction or do something like use an ATM to check balance, etc...
The card needs to be activated first by a simplii rep before one can use it at an ATM.
Took me about 1 hour 32 minutes to finally have it done. This is just to activate the card. God help someone who has a problem with cash at ATM or some other urgent serious issue.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 31, 2003
3047 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto, ON
luking wrote: The card needs to be activated first by a simplii rep before one can use it at an ATM.
Took me about 1 hour 32 minutes to finally have it done. This is just to activate the card. God help someone who has a problem with cash at ATM or some other urgent serious issue.
Ah yikes, yea that's a pretty shitty process.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1792 posts
505 upvotes
Yup it’s a shitty bank next try to get the to send you a external link to add a external account , some don’t even know what your talking about lol
Member
Feb 14, 2018
342 posts
248 upvotes
I just opened an account. Took me forever to figure out how to create the online login. Apparently you need a telephone banking pin before you can register for the online account. And the first time through customer service activating the card it hung up while I was thinking of a pin.
Very strange for what I thought was an "online" bank.

Top