Hot Deals

Simplii Financial

New customer - Up to $550 SignUp Bonuses (needs direct deposit) - No QC - Expires October 31

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2022 10:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
2589 posts
2258 upvotes
GTA

[Simplii Financial] New customer - Up to $550 SignUp Bonuses (needs direct deposit) - No QC - Expires October 31

Deal Link:
Expiry:
October 31, 2022
Retailer:
Simplii Financial
More offers from Simplii Financial
Mod Edit: To prevent this thread from being locked, do not offer/ask for referrals in this thread or suggest users PM you for more info. Infractions will be handed out.

UPDATE 1 -17/8/2022: Just noticed Simplii updated the offer from 3% to 3.85% HISA interest now!

UPDATE 2 - 8/9/2022: Simplii Financial™ Cash Back Visa Card $150 Bonus on Activation

UPDATE 3 - 22/9/2022: Simplii updated the offer from 3.85% to 4.75% HISA interest now!

Why?
There have always been new banking offers, but this is RFD and it's great when we have deals that we can actually use long term.
1) Chequing account
I personally have switched out of a brick and mortar bank about 5+ years and don't regret it. I have both Tangerine & Simplii and have been able to work through 99% of my transactions all fee free!

2) Savings account
There are better one time offers but Simplii (& Tangerine) occasionally keep offering interest rate promotions. As an example, I have been offered a 3.85% promo last month to match this sign up bonus offer anyway :)

3) Great restaurant Visa card, keep reading for more details.

I hope this helps.

Offer 1 - Chequing account - Earn $350
Open a No Fee Chequing Account by October 31, 2022
Add an eligible direct deposit of at least $100 a month
for 3 straight months.

Offer 2 - Earn 4.75%
Open a High Interest Savings Account
Earn a special 4.75% interest rate until October 31, 2022.

Offer 3 - Possible preapproval for a No Fee: $150 sign up bonus + 4% restaurant/fast food/coffee shop/pub cash back Visa on going
This will incur a hard credit check, at least it used to but I believe that allows you to potentially get pre-approved for their Cash Back Visa Card.
UPDATE - 8/9/2022: Simplii Financial™ Cash Back Visa Card $150 Bonus on Activations. Credit to @Babak for this thread spotting this deal: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/simplii ... 2-2564272/

Terms & FAQ that I found useful:
The Simplii Financial™ No Fee Chequing Account $350 offer (the “Offer”) begins on February 1, 2022 at 12:01 am ET and ends on October 31, 2022 at 11:59 pm ET (the “Offer Period”). The Offer consists of a $350 cash reward (the “Cash Reward”) to qualifying primary account holders for opening and using a new Simplii Financial™ No Fee Chequing Account (the “New Account”) and complying with the following requirements.

1. Eligibility

This Offer is open only to Canadian residents who:

(i) have reached the age of majority in their province of residence; and
(ii) have no prior banking relationship with Simplii Financial prior to the beginning of the Offer Period.

This Offer can be combined with all other offers unless otherwise indicated. Individuals who meet the foregoing eligibility requirements and otherwise comply with these Terms are referred to as “Eligible Client(s)”.

2. Offer Requirements

To qualify for the Offer and receive the Cash Reward, an Eligible Client must:

(i) open a New Account as the primary account holder during the Offer Period;
(ii) within 120 days from the date the New Account is opened, set up one or more Eligible Recurring Direct Deposits totaling at least $100 of deposits per month into the New Account; and
(iii) have such Eligible Recurring Direct Deposit(s) credited to the New Account for at least three (3) consecutive months within the above 120-day time period.

“Eligible Recurring Direct Deposits”: Most automated and recurring direct deposits are eligible. Examples of common recurring direct deposits include: payroll, pension direct deposits, old age security, disability payments, and governmental deposits, such as employment insurance.

3. Delivery of the Pre-Approval Offer

If an Eligible Client qualifies for the Pre-Approval, a message will appear in the Eligible Client’s mobile and online banking, notifying the Eligible Client of the Pre-Approval, and next steps and additional conditions to apply for the New Card (the “Notification”). While “pre-approval” means that Simplii Financial has reviewed the available criteria to determine that you are a strong candidate for a New Card, “pre-approval” is not automatic approval for the New Card, and Eligible Clients will still have to follow an application process following receipt of the Notification.
EDIT 1: Thought I would share some rules around referral links since I think many of you are using it for the extra $50 (making this offer worth $400). Here are some important T&Cs:
(ii) The Friend is a new Simplii Financial client with no prior banking relationship with
Simplii Financial since November 1, 2017
;
a. For No Fee Chequing Account or High Interest Savings Account: The Friend
makes a deposit of at least $100 within six months after account opening and
maintains a minimum account balance of $100 for at least 30 days

https://www.sc.pages02.net/lp/39688/492 ... uly_20.pdf

EDIT 2: I just put in a post about how I managed the concerns over moving to an online bank only, thought I should post the content here as well for visibility:

For anyone on the fence, here's a strategy I used to overcome the doubts and concerns over shifting to an online bank:

a. Can I trust them?

Remember, this is just the online business unit of the Big 5!

Simplii = CIBC (your Simplii cheque institution numbers even show as CIBC :D)
Tangerine is a subsidiary of Scotiabank

So these are not startup/fintechs, they are not going to run away with your money :)
Also they operate with the same standards, Simplii's software is identical in every way to CIBC's online banking and mobile app, its exactly the same except for the colour scheme :D

Also your money has the identical CDIC insurance, just like at the Big 5, it's no different. Search 'Simplii' if it gives you peace of mind:
https://www.cdic.ca/your-coverage/list- ... titutions/

b. How do I get started?

Have a plan to keep both your new account as well as the old one, open for 12 months.

So this would mean, you would open your online bank account, either this Simplii deal, or Tangerine if that's what you prefer.
Then try to move everything over to this online bank, examples:
-Add all the bill pay entries
-Move all/most money in here (you get the 3.85% savings rate to benefit from).
-Move payroll, it's part of the promo anyway.
-Then update your PAD entries.

Basically, if you ever log into your old bank, either:
-Stop and do the transaction with the new bank
-Update the PAD instructions to pull off the new bank (Simplii)
-If not (e.g. short on time), make a note & set a reminder to look into it later so you don't repeat yourself.
-Eventually you will transfer everything over to the Simplii (or anyone else that's online and no no fee like Tangerine).
Overall keep an eye out so that there's absolutely zero activity as soon as possible in your old bank.

c. Count up your fees you spend annually

-Fees can be the usual charges that get posted monthly.
e.g. 15/month * 12 = $180/year. Ask yourself, are you getting the equivalent benefit in services for this cost?

-Fees can be indirect as well, e.g. CIBC 'waives the fee' if you maintain a minimum balance if you keep either $4000 o $6000 based on the account type. If it's $6000, ask yourself how much is this costing me?
One way to look at it is, there's a credit union that I use in Manitoba and they offer 4.25% in a 1 year, redeemable GIC.
So if you do some quick math, $6000 would have earned you $255 annually, costing you effectively $21.25/month to keep $6000 in a bank account just to waive the fee.
The point: Balances to waive bank fees in the Big 5 banks, it's not free, there's a cost to it.

d. Exit
After the 12 months, or 2 or 3 months after you are feeling very confident and exclusively using your online bank account, close it! :)
At this point you have proven you don't really need the old bank account, you have not used it in months!

e. Gotchas
Most online bank transactions cater to 99% of people's average daily tasks but not everything is perfectly the same. Examples of things that might be a challenge.

1. Getting a bank draft: In a big 5 you would walk in and they would prep it for you right away.
With Simplii, you have to call into the call center, then they arrange for the funds to be transferred to the nearest CIBC (electronically, internally within their system).
Then you go to CIBC and pick up your draft.
Time: approx, next business day.

So if you are closing on a home, open up a big 5 account before you start making offers.

Tangerine couriers the draft to you in a few days.

2. In person tellers are not accessible for transactions.
I've never really found a concern for this, but just sharing.

I hope this helps, I thought I should share how I moved out of a Big 5 bank years ago and never looked back!
Last edited by martydxb on Sep 28th, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 16 times in total.
265 replies
Feb 23, 2010
301 posts
650 upvotes
Vancouver
Don't forget to use referral and each will get $50 more.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8099 posts
5091 upvotes
Global Village
Eligible Recurring Direct Deposits totaling at least $100 of deposits per month into the New Account

I guess Trillium credit no longer qualifies.
They are still running their Global $ transfer promo as well until Oct 31 with promo code GMTEVENT.

https://www.simplii.com/en/global-money-transfer.html
Last edited by scoper on Aug 6th, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All day I dream about sports

My Banks: Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5779 posts
2999 upvotes
Winnipeg
This is a good offer
Zoomer Wireless | Public Mobile | Simplii | Tangerine | CIBC
Nov 28, 2020
36 posts
7 upvotes
Does anyone know if Simplii only accepts PRs or citizens to get this offer?
May 6, 2020
781 posts
866 upvotes
Halifax
I got the welcome bonus last week. It was $350 when I signed up. This is a pretty good deal.
May 6, 2020
781 posts
866 upvotes
Halifax
Keinib wrote: Does anyone know if Simplii only accepts PRs or citizens to get this offer?
I have referred my friend who is on work permit.
Nov 28, 2020
36 posts
7 upvotes
Innovac wrote: I have referred my friend who is on work permit.
That’s good to know. How does referral work with this offer? Is there a code that can be applied during application?
Dec 11, 2010
685 posts
538 upvotes
Keinib wrote: That’s good to know. How does referral work with this offer? Is there a code that can be applied during application?
There would be a referral link that you would be using for the application.
You'll Never Walk Alone.
May 6, 2020
781 posts
866 upvotes
Halifax
Keinib wrote: That’s good to know. How does referral work with this offer? Is there a code that can be applied during application?
You have to get the link from the person referring you and follow the steps.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
2589 posts
2258 upvotes
GTA
Keinib wrote: Does anyone know if Simplii only accepts PRs or citizens to get this offer?
I signed up with PR, basically makes no difference.
The thing is, you need to be a resident, so either one works as long as you are residing in Canada.

Pretty much the same rules for any bank.
Jun 23, 2017
350 posts
180 upvotes
Innovac wrote: I got the welcome bonus last week. It was $350 when I signed up. This is a pretty good deal.
When did you sign up for this account
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
1103 posts
159 upvotes
There will have a unique referral link a friend could send to you for click on and apply.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2017
2194 posts
933 upvotes
I am interested but what is the work around to make 100 Direct Deposit. Does EMT count?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
1103 posts
159 upvotes
NightRider_ wrote: I am interested but what is the work around to make 100 Direct Deposit. Does EMT count?
What direct deposits qualify for the cash bonus?
Most recurring payroll, pension and employment insurance direct deposits (including old age security) from an employer or the Canadian government qualify for the cash bonus.
Feb 4, 2018
45 posts
11 upvotes
Simplii asks for my consent for a credit check. Does anyone know if it's a hard or soft check? I'm opening a chequing acc only. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2017
2194 posts
933 upvotes
skywalker wrote: What direct deposits qualify for the cash bonus?
Most recurring payroll, pension and employment insurance direct deposits (including old age security) from an employer or the Canadian government qualify for the cash bonus.
That's just it. I was looking for a work around. I don't like to change Direct Deposit details. Guess that's the only option.
Apr 17, 2017
198 posts
109 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
nobita107 wrote: Simplii asks for my consent for a credit check. Does anyone know if it's a hard or soft check? I'm opening a chequing acc only. Thanks.
It is a hard check

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)