• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2021 9:15 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6494 posts
2499 upvotes

Simplii Frustration

I have 2 bank accounts (1 TD, 1 Simplii), granted I don't keep a lot of money in my Simplii account but I do use it regularly for things like sending EMT & a few bills. Sent a $3000 emt, got a text from Simplii asking if it was me. Replied Y for yes, it got sent. 5 days later, I sent another $3000 emt, again I repeated the process of replying to the text indicating it was me. The person I sent the EMT to, is someone who in the past has EMT me before. This time, the EMT did not get processed, despite me replying to the text saying it was me. Now after calling Simplii, they say they cannot allow me to verify over the phone (I know all my recent transactions, etc) but instead I have to go to Canada Post & call them from there. Never heard of someone having to do this, I am well within the allowed EMT limits of $3000 per 24 hr & $10000 within 7 days, I find this very frustrating.
15 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6494 posts
2499 upvotes
To top off this joke of a mess, Simplii told me it takes 1 business day for them to send me an email, with instructions of what to do. Yes, to send me an email with instructions, takes them 1 more business day
Sep 3, 2019
980 posts
673 upvotes
GTA
My own negative experience with Simplii prompted me to close down my chequing account. I only recall thinking this bank is really behind the times and that I'm glad I mostly use TD.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1556 posts
872 upvotes
To bad you just couldn't walk into a branch.....
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
5632 posts
3144 upvotes
HP_John wrote: I have 2 bank accounts (1 TD, 1 Simplii), granted I don't keep a lot of money in my Simplii account but I do use it regularly for things like sending EMT & a few bills. Sent a $3000 emt, got a text from Simplii asking if it was me. Replied Y for yes, it got sent. 5 days later, I sent another $3000 emt, again I repeated the process of replying to the text indicating it was me. The person I sent the EMT to, is someone who in the past has EMT me before. This time, the EMT did not get processed, despite me replying to the text saying it was me. Now after calling Simplii, they say they cannot allow me to verify over the phone (I know all my recent transactions, etc) but instead I have to go to Canada Post & call them from there. Never heard of someone having to do this, I am well within the allowed EMT limits of $3000 per 24 hr & $10000 within 7 days, I find this very frustrating.
EMT or E-transfer are usually for small amts. They probably think you are up to something no good with frequent & large amts.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35938 posts
22083 upvotes
Center of Universe
ml88888888 wrote: EMT or E-transfer are usually for small amts. They probably think you are up to something no good with frequent & large amts.
I etransfered more than OP, but to an external account that's under my name and haven't been blocked...so far $27K transferred out with no issues.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6494 posts
2499 upvotes
I don't have a problem with Simplii questioning whether its really me sending the EMTs, but they don't bother asking me any questions & instead tell me I have to await an extra business day, for them to send me a email. Then after I get the email, go to Canada Post & verify my identity. Then wait another day after that, to call in again. The whole process takes way too long. I offered to email them my drivers license & answer any questions they have about my identity, transactions, anything. I will not be staying with them
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7034 posts
3262 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
i've e transferred 5 digits with no questions asked from either bank so agree time to look for another bank.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
5632 posts
3144 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: I etransfered more than OP, but to an external account that's under my name and haven't been blocked...so far $27K transferred out with no issues.
but the frequency could be the main reason.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
5823 posts
3899 upvotes
last year, I did 3k 4 days in a row without any issue or even needing to reply to any texts
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6494 posts
2499 upvotes
I don't even have a problem with Simplii sending me a text asking if it actually is me sending the EMT, but they made me take 96 hrs basically to do this EMT. That's ridiculous & unreasonable. I also was more than willing to answer any questions but they said nope, we won't ask you questions but instead we need you to jump thru all these hoops. Really bad &/or weird/outdated business practices
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35938 posts
22083 upvotes
Center of Universe
ml88888888 wrote: but the frequency could be the main reason.

I've been hitting the 7day limits with more funds to transfer out and received this pop-up.
IMG_20210521_203519.jpg
Apr 3, 2015
121 posts
35 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
vkizzle wrote: I've been hitting the 7day limits with more funds to transfer out and received this pop-up.

IMG_20210521_203519.jpg
I don't think you need to worry. Received on my account as well and I send like 2 transfers per month.
Nov 22, 2012
651 posts
733 upvotes
NS
HP_John wrote: I don't even have a problem with Simplii sending me a text asking if it actually is me sending the EMT, but they made me take 96 hrs basically to do this EMT. That's ridiculous & unreasonable. I also was more than willing to answer any questions but they said nope, we won't ask you questions but instead we need you to jump thru all these hoops. Really bad &/or weird/outdated business practices
The slow response is due to the fact their back office functions are handled overseas. Verification is done manually. This no fee bank account can't justify hiring Canadian staff to provide responses in realtime.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3007 posts
1280 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I sent $9k via e-transfer with Simplii over three payments/three days earlier this year and it was fine.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35938 posts
22083 upvotes
Center of Universe
Ash9001 wrote: I don't think you need to worry. Received on my account as well and I send like 2 transfers per month.
I'm not worried, just saying my account wasn't locked despite frequent etransfers and hitting the 7 day limits and waiting to transfer more.