• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2019 7:31 pm
Oct 12, 2008
798 posts
1318 upvotes
Markham
djdestroyer wrote:
May 14th, 2019 5:26 pm
I reported it within about 4-6 hours of the fraudulent charges (as soon as I noticed them missing). I also made a police report right away. I think the $50 liability is only if there is no PIN authorization.
No, if that's what they're saying then they're lying to you, or horribly mistaken. You are not responsible for ANY of it (not even $50, that applies to unauthorized credit card transactions). If they are not willing to pay you back and are stalling, then tell them you will pursue the matter in small claims court, where they'll be liable for disbursements as well.

Cite the following source: Government of Canada's website
https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-cons ... ction.html

That should get the ball rolling.

The rationale for the chip-and-PIN is so that the institutions have better loss prevention for themselves, it's not meant to pass the responsibility on to the consumer. On https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-cons ... tions.html you can see this is specifically mentioned:
If you’ve met your card issuer’s requirements for liability you can’t automatically be held liable for an unauthorized transaction just because an authentication technology like chip-and-PIN was used to make the disputed transaction.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2005
1149 posts
442 upvotes
My credit score dropped about 10 but I have also been opening a number of Koodo accounts. The Koodo accounts havent given me credit score problems in the past, however.
Dec 25, 2017
777 posts
583 upvotes
djdestroyer wrote:
May 14th, 2019 5:26 pm
I reported it within about 4-6 hours of the fraudulent charges (as soon as I noticed them missing). I also made a police report right away. I think the $50 liability is only if there is no PIN authorization.
You're still not liable for it, provided you didn't help other people steal your money (ex. literally write the PIN on the card or tell someone the PIN).

CIBC is terrible with chargebacks, a friend only got half of their money back from an eBay transaction that went bad (basically someone stole someone else's eBay account and sold stuff on said account for cheap). Some other family member had bad experiences with CIBC and this is CIBC proper, the ones with branches and whatnot. I don't intend to keep the account or at least any funds in the account once I get that $200.

Here's a human readable (assuming you don't want the link to the actual laws?) information page from the federal government: https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-cons ... ction.html

Specifically this is the passage you will find useful:
Paying for an unauthorized transaction
In most cases, you will not be held responsible for transactions you didn't make or approve.

Unauthorized debit card transaction
When an unauthorized transaction is made with your debit card in a store, at a point-of-sale terminal or at an ATM, you will get your money back if you took the necessary steps to protect your PIN.

These steps include:
  • keeping your PIN confidential and never sharing it with anyone, including a family member
  • avoiding a PIN that someone could easily guess like a birthday or telephone number
  • hiding your PIN while using your card at an ATM or a point-of-sale terminal
  • not keeping a written record of your PIN close to your card

You're not held responsible for losses that result from circumstances beyond your control, which include:
  • technical problems. For example, the ATM didn't give you the full amount of cash you asked for, but still deducts the requested amount from your account.
  • unauthorized transactions, as long as you didn't contribute to the loss. For example, if you shared your PIN with someone.

Unauthorized credit card transaction
When an unauthorized transaction is made with your credit card, your maxium liability, by law, can't be more than $50.00. Your credit card agreement must explain your maximum liability if your card is used without your permission.

Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Interac have committed to protect you against financial loss if your credit or debit card is used without your permission. According to this public commitment, you will not be held responsible for the unauthorized transactions and won't have to pay any fee.
(The text had it's formatting slightly altered so a copy and paste looks easier to read.)

I would still challenge it as it's still lost money and you can't lose more of it. Only thing you risk now is time. Start back at the call center and ask to be transferred to a "Customer Care Manager" and see if that works. Otherwise try CIBC's ombudsman:
3. Your right to an independent review

Assuming you have followed the complaint escalation steps outlined above and you remain unsatisfied with Customer Care's resolution, you can contact the CIBC Ombudsman. Then, if the matter falls within the CIBC Ombudsman's mandate (www.cibc.com/ombudsman), and providing legal action has not been taken on the matter, the Ombudsman will conduct a further investigation. You can reach the CIBC Ombudsman by:

Phone: 1-800-308-6859 or 416-861-3313 (Toronto area)
Fax: 1-800-308-6861 or 416-980-3754 (Toronto area)
E-mail: ombudsman@obsi.ca
Mail:
CIBC Ombudsman
P.O. Box 342, Commerce Court
Toronto, ON M5L 1G2

If the above steps do not resolve your complaint, you may consider escalating the matter to Independent Consumer Support Agencies. There are a number of external agencies that monitor Canada's financial industry to ensure compliance and reliable access to financial services.
This information is also available at the bottom of this page, under "How to resolve concerns with Simplii Financial services", here: https://www.simplii.com/en/legal.html
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4986 posts
964 upvotes
Milton
planning on switching from tangerine to simplii for this promotion and free etransfers. Will I be eligible for the $200 if I switch my payroll deposits into simplii?
Apr 2, 2018
92 posts
37 upvotes
spena wrote:
May 15th, 2019 1:30 pm
planning on switching from tangerine to simplii for this promotion and free etransfers. Will I be eligible for the $200 if I switch my payroll deposits into simplii?
absolutely you're eligible for $200 if you never have any account with Simplii
Jun 30, 2018
13 posts
3 upvotes
Diafel wrote:
May 14th, 2019 8:41 pm
My credit score dropped about 10 but I have also been opening a number of Koodo accounts. The Koodo accounts havent given me credit score problems in the past, however.
In my case, credit score was dropped by few points when I moved from Public mobile to Koodo last year. It’s reported as Telus under credit report. I think it’s depend upon how frequently your credit check has been done. Last year I had multiple credit checks in short duration.
Dec 25, 2017
777 posts
583 upvotes
Say does Tangerine push/pull count towards any of those transactions? Anyone have any insight on that?
Sep 8, 2008
282 posts
26 upvotes
Is the Simplii debit card a Visa debit card? My cell phone company takes Visa debit card only.
Sep 8, 2008
282 posts
26 upvotes
User772911 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2019 1:34 pm
An automatic bill payment is a pre-authorized debit. If you are looking to arrange a pre-authorized debit, you can get a form through Online Banking. Just sign on and select "More Services" from menu on the left, and then select "Automatic bill payment." Complete the form, print it, sign it and then submit it to your billing company. I hope this clarifies things for you.
As for pre-authorized payment, I can just input "transit #, bank #, account #" on my Internet provider's website. Do I have to submit the form to my Internet provider or I can just do it online?
Penalty Box
Jan 27, 2014
4242 posts
1370 upvotes
Too many bank offers I'm trying to keep track. Correct me if I'm wrong but there is Simplii, Scotiabank, Manulife, TD ($100 for $1000 savings account)? Any others?
Jun 30, 2018
13 posts
3 upvotes
Mazda323 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 11:39 am
Is the Simplii debit card a Visa debit card? My cell phone company takes Visa debit card only.
No, it’s not Visa or Mastercard. Just Interact logo on card.
Apr 2, 2018
92 posts
37 upvotes
Mazda323 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 11:51 am
As for pre-authorized payment, I can just input "transit #, bank #, account #" on my Internet provider's website. Do I have to submit the form to my Internet provider or I can just do it online?
You can just do it online with your account info
Apr 2, 2018
92 posts
37 upvotes
IEpicDestroyer wrote:
May 16th, 2019 2:18 am
Say does Tangerine push/pull count towards any of those transactions? Anyone have any insight on that?
I tried to move money from Tangerine to Simplii and it showed ETF Debit Tangerine on my statement.
Oct 21, 2017
90 posts
49 upvotes
IEpicDestroyer wrote:
May 16th, 2019 2:18 am
Either CIBC or Simplii counted Tangerine ASP as pre-auth bill payment last time. Not sure if their systems have changed since then.
Koodo $35/5GB
Dec 25, 2017
777 posts
583 upvotes
sirvar wrote:
May 16th, 2019 3:35 pm
Either CIBC or Simplii counted Tangerine ASP as pre-auth bill payment last time. Not sure if their systems have changed since then.
Did the reverse work by any chance? If Simplii pushes or pulls from Tangerine, will Tangerine count it as something on their checking welcome bonus?

I have something set up for Simplii already and just waiting for the bonus to post but I might push $10 from Tangerine to Simplii and see if that counts as direct deposit for the extra $10. Probably not.