Hot Deals

[Simplii] Get $200 for opening a Simplii chequing account

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2019 7:31 pm
Sep 22, 2006
50 posts
3 upvotes
If I was a PC Financial client 10+ years ago but have had a dormant/inactive account for the last 5 years or so, would I be considered a new Simplii Financial client?
Sep 11, 2011
497 posts
128 upvotes
Alberta
How does Simplii deal with joint accounts?

Can both my wife and I sign up separately and get $200 each, and then add joint accounts? Similar to how Tangerine works..?
Penalty Box
Jan 27, 2014
4242 posts
1370 upvotes
Interested. So doing in person is no credit check?
Jan 8, 2011
21 posts
5 upvotes
I had PC financial account from years ago...and I'm pretty sure I cancelled it before it moved over to Simplii. I saw this promo and applied for a new Simplii chequing account, a week later I received cheque books and the account information in the mail. Waited 2 weeks for the mail and still didn't get a debit card. So I called them today and they said I still had an open account with them so my old account information still exist, the new chequing account was linked to my old banking account and debit card (which I never received in the mail). And they told me I wasn't qualified for the $200 promo as I am not considered a new client. This is so disappointing.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
1549 posts
761 upvotes
GTA
CanJpnPhl wrote:
Apr 30th, 2019 4:34 pm
Sweet. I got $10 bonus for setting up direct payroll deposits on my new chequing account. I asked them on social media -- they said it's automatically applied and that it won't disqualify me from the current $200 bonus promotion, as long as I fulfill the requirements.

When I had a hard hit from them early this month, surprisingly my credit score didn't drop. It even went up 2 points. LOL! I assume it would have went up even more if I didn't get a hard hit, though. The plus side of it is that I didn't have to do the ID verification anymore. I guess Simplii is shifting to hard credit inquries to verify identity.
My score too oddly did not drop after the hard inquiry...
Nov 12, 2017
265 posts
149 upvotes
Newedm wrote:
May 7th, 2019 1:07 pm
I was just told by a CSR that cell phone and internet bills do not qualify for automatic Bill payments. FYI.
I was told by a CSR that cell phone bills do qualify... unfortunately I don't think I have a saved copy of the chat
[solicitation not allowed]
May 17, 2007
57 posts
2 upvotes
krispy4 wrote:
May 11th, 2019 2:02 am
I was told by a CSR that cell phone bills do qualify... unfortunately I don't think I have a saved copy of the chat
Unfortunately I dropped about 50 points from mid 800s a few days after they ran the check...
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2200 posts
571 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I was the victim of fraud and my Tangerine card stood up to the test whereas my Simplii debit account was taken for $800. They gave back $400 but left me on the hook for the rest. Somehow the pickpockets got my PIN though I'm not sure that's true (Tangerine was same PIN...). Supposedly there is some scrambling hardware out there that is able to hack PINs. I was in Vegas at a popular nightclub so safe to say this is where professional pickpockets would be.
Dec 25, 2017
777 posts
583 upvotes
djdestroyer wrote:
May 11th, 2019 4:40 am
I was the victim of fraud and my Tangerine card stood up to the test whereas my Simplii debit account was taken for $800. They gave back $400 but left me on the hook for the rest. Somehow the pickpockets got my PIN though I'm not sure that's true (Tangerine was same PIN...). Supposedly there is some scrambling hardware out there that is able to hack PINs. I was in Vegas at a popular nightclub so safe to say this is where professional pickpockets would be.
Were those ATM withdraws that they did? Are they not letting you dispute it as a unauthorized transaction on the network that withdraw was processed?
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2200 posts
571 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
IEpicDestroyer wrote:
May 11th, 2019 3:22 pm
Were those ATM withdraws that they did? Are they not letting you dispute it as a unauthorized transaction on the network that withdraw was processed?
Yes, it was four separate ATM withdrawals of $200usd + fees. I opened an investigation and they said that because the PIN was authorized (again, no idea how), they would only cover half of the loss money (not including fees). I'm trying to dispute it but there isn't much recourse.
Dec 25, 2017
777 posts
583 upvotes
djdestroyer wrote:
May 11th, 2019 4:27 pm
Yes, it was four separate ATM withdrawals of $200usd + fees. I opened an investigation and they said that because the PIN was authorized (again, no idea how), they would only cover half of the loss money (not including fees). I'm trying to dispute it but there isn't much recourse.
How long did you wait to report it? By law, your liability for any unauthorized transactions cannot exceed $50.
Apr 4, 2017
479 posts
207 upvotes
Newedm wrote:
May 7th, 2019 1:07 pm
I was just told by a CSR that cell phone and internet bills do not qualify for automatic Bill payments. FYI.
That's weird. I just talked to a CSR and they said cell phone bills do count as an automatic bill payment.

I just confirmed again and the CSR assured me that cellphone payments do count toward an automatic bill payment.
Apr 4, 2017
479 posts
207 upvotes
The CSR that helped me set up my account via phone said that I won't be taking a credit hit by opening an account.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2200 posts
571 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
IEpicDestroyer wrote:
May 11th, 2019 4:40 pm
How long did you wait to report it? By law, your liability for any unauthorized transactions cannot exceed $50.
I reported it within about 4-6 hours of the fraudulent charges (as soon as I noticed them missing). I also made a police report right away. I think the $50 liability is only if there is no PIN authorization.
Jun 30, 2018
13 posts
3 upvotes
martydxb wrote:
May 11th, 2019 1:21 am
My score too oddly did not drop after the hard inquiry...
Same here. Opened account last month and credit score also not dropped, actually it’s increased little bit. BTW I haven’t applied for overdraft protection during sign up. That might be a reason, but not sure.