Expired Hot Deals

[Simplii] Simplii just upped their game- get $75 for sending your first GMT of $100 (plus an additional $25 ~ $50 for referral)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2020 2:47 pm
[OP]
Aug 7, 2019
471 posts
156 upvotes

Simplii just upped their game- get $75 for sending your first GMT of $100 (plus an additional $25 ~ $50 for referral)

Retailer:
Simplii
Please note: Sending and asking for referrals here is against the forum rules.

EDIT: A valid point came up that since the promo code isn't advertised yet, trying to use it right now would be risky (because even though it gets "successfully applied," if something goes wrong, they may not be willing to help without an official advertisement as proof.) For this reason, I have removed the thread. Until an official ad comes out (if it does), your safest bet is to stick with the GMT50 promo code for $50 back instead of $75

There were recently some threads about:

Simpli's GMT50 promo that gave you $50 for sending $100: simplii-get-50-when-you-send-your-first ... d-2375276/
CIBC's GMT75 that gave you $75 for sending $100: cibc-cibc-global-money-transfer-now-75-bonus-2378597/

Now, Simplii is basically matching CIBC's GMT75 promo.

The potential savings and how it works:
Option 1: get $125 for sending $100
  1. For this promo, you need two people to have a Simplii Financial Account in your family. The sender can't have sent a GMT before.
  2. Use the non-sender's account to generate a referral link.
  3. Use their referral link to send your transfer (at least $100) and when it asks for a promo code, enter GMT75
  4. After 15 days, you will get $25 on the sending account and $25 on the family member's account that did the referral. This is what I mean for basically getting $50 for the referral (I'm assuming you are close with your family Winking Face)
  5. After 6 weeks, you will get $75 on the sending account
  6. --> total value of $125 credited

Option 2: get $100 for sending $100
  1. For this promo, you a Simplii Financial Account that hasn't sent a GMT before.
  2. Get a referral link from someone else.
  3. Use their referral link to send your transfer (at least $100) and when it asks for a promo code, enter GMT75
  4. After 15 days, you will get $25 on your account and another $75 after 6 weeks
  5. --> total value of $100 credited

Option 3: get $75 for sending $100
  1. For this promo, you just need to have your own Simplii Financial Account (like before, can't have sent a GMT).
  2. Send a transfer of $100 and when it asks for a promo code, enter GMT75
  3. After 6 weeks, you will be credited $75
  4. --> total value of $75 credited
Important points: Simplii's page still lists GMT50 but I tried this and it worked with GMT75 (I got a message that promo code was applied successfully)
You won't be able to get the bonus if you have already used Simplii's GMT
I actually find their rates are better than places like Transferwise
Last edited by DrDoomsday on May 31st, 2020 11:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
64 replies
May 30, 2017
377 posts
166 upvotes
I still don't get how this works lol do I have to send this to someone abroad? And where can I find the referral link?
Dec 5, 2012
88 posts
89 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
I need to read this through, still confusing
[OP]
Aug 7, 2019
471 posts
156 upvotes
arcty5 wrote: I still don't get how this works lol do I have to send this to someone abroad? And where can I find the referral link?
You get a referral link from someone else that has a Simplii account. If you have an account abroad or a family member with an account abroad, that is ideal. I used it to donate to a Youtuber that does charity work abroad and then uploads videos showing the progress they make.

It may also work by sending it to a USD account in your name (e.g. if you have a US savings account with TD) but I'm not 100% sure as I never tried that.

Some people have instead set up a US borderless account with Transferwise to transfer the balance. Then, I believe you can simply use that account to send money back to yourself (maybe to a PayPal account). I haven't tried it but @mrelusive made a post about it in another thread:
Done. Guess I'm just waiting on getting the bonus from Simplii but this is the process I followed - specific to TransferWise + RBC Bank (US) - and it all got done in less than a week with no wire transfers.

1. Send GMT to my TransferWise borderless account, funds received after a few days. I already had a borderless account before this promo so not sure if the mandatory $20 deposit would affect others in this step.
2. Send TransferWise USD balance to RBC bank, funds received next day. I don't plan on transfering this balance but could easily transfer it back to my RBC Royal Bank account if I wanted my CAD back.\

EDIT: Just received the $25 from signing up through a referral link already – so a week after I made the GMT – but not the $50 coupon code bonus yet.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1500 posts
1043 upvotes
Ah. So seems like the key to doing this without getting dinged with wire fees is to have TW + US soil bank account. TW is key since for USD, you get your own ABA number.. so you can initiate an ACH to another US bank account, then transfer northbound back to Canada if required.
Jun 8, 2019
231 posts
330 upvotes
I tried it and it works!
I own a service with Public Mobile and with Fido. [removed solicitation]
Nov 21, 2013
146 posts
33 upvotes
Markham, ON
Can you take advantage of bot Simplii and the CIBC offer? Or are they exclusive
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32779 posts
18548 upvotes
Ottawa
Mr_A wrote: How can I take advantage of this if I don't have an account with them yet? Can I just create an account online and send the GMT or do I have to wait for the card to arrive in mail and stuff?
Apply for an account online, wait for the card to call in and activate.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5499 posts
2686 upvotes
Winnipeg
sports1 wrote: Ah. So seems like the key to doing this without getting dinged with wire fees is to have TW + US soil bank account. TW is key since for USD, you get your own ABA number.. so you can initiate an ACH to another US bank account, then transfer northbound back to Canada if required.
Why would you need a US bank account? Can't you just transfer to a Canadian account (either CAD or USD)?
[OP]
Aug 7, 2019
471 posts
156 upvotes
orangedude2 wrote: Can you take advantage of bot Simplii and the CIBC offer? Or are they exclusive
I'm 99% sure you can. I tried submitting both but haven't reached the 15 days to see if it works.
[OP]
Aug 7, 2019
471 posts
156 upvotes
I noticed this in the terms and conditions:

"A cash referral bonus in an amount determined by Simplii Financial from time to time (“Bonus”)
will be paid to each of the Referrer and the Friend if:
a) The Referrer uses the GMT referral link in Simplii Financial Online Banking to email the Offer
to the Friend (no Bonus will be paid if the Friend is referred in any other manner); and
"

If you are really wanting to get technical, consider sending the referral link through an email but I don't think there is any way for Simplii to check where you got the email. I beleive they just mean to say the referral has to be through the link and not "word of mouth"
Jul 6, 2010
38 posts
4 upvotes
Alberta
Umm whats a GMT and how do I send it? It is like email money transfer? I need to email transfer some funds to my GF. Can I just use a GMT instead and get this free money?
May 8, 2013
545 posts
517 upvotes
London
So it's not a sure thing at all, and you are speculating that the 75 code actually works ,because no1 has been paid out? Right. Well let's hope for the best I suppose, but probly not thread worthy as the currently active gmt50 thread could easily be updated when this is verified.

edit- the other thread was locked lol
Last edited by ryansluman on May 29th, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Aug 7, 2019
471 posts
156 upvotes
PC_Cola wrote: Umm whats a GMT and how do I send it? It is like email money transfer? I need to email transfer some funds to my GF. Can I just use a GMT instead and get this free money?
GMT is global money transfer. Basically, you send money to an account "in another country". Some people without foreign accounts/family member accounts in other countries have set up Transferwise borderless US accounts and just sent them there.