Expired Hot Deals

Simplii

Simplii just upped their game- get $75 for sending your first GMT of $100 (plus an additional $25 ~ $50 for referral)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2020 2:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1093 posts
369 upvotes

Simplii just upped their game- get $75 for sending your first GMT of $100 (plus an additional $25 ~ $50 for referral)

Retailer:
Simplii
Please note: Sending and asking for referrals here is against the forum rules.

UPDATE 2: The GMT75 promo seems to be over right now. However, if you enter GMT50 wherever it says GMT75 below, you can still complete each of the 3 options below but your bonus would be $25 lower. (i.e. using GMT50, you get $100 for option 1, $75 for option 2 and $50 for option 3)

UPDATE: I initially posted this thread back in May. However, someone raised a valid point that GMT75 was not officially advertised by Simplii (even though it was giving the "promo code successfully applied" message). Because of this, I removed the thread because I didn't want others to try using it only to get nothing. However, now, several people have reported back that the promo code GMT75 actually gave them the $75 bonus so it seems safe to say that as long as your code gets accepted, you should get the $75 back. I would however suggest screenshotting the various steps of the process just so you have proof that you did the referral and your code gave you a "successfully applied" message. Now, on to the deal

Potential profit: $75, $100 or $125 depending on which option you go with

GMT stands for global money transfer. Sending a GMT means chosing a bank account in a foreign currency and using Simplii's GMT bar on the left-hand side to send money to that account using Simplii's built-in currency conversion.

The potential savings and how it works:
Option 1: get $125 for sending $100
  1. For this promo, you need two people to have a Simplii Financial Account in your family. The person sending can't have sent a GMT before.
  2. Use the non-sender's account to generate a referral link.
  3. Use this referral link to send your transfer (at least $100). When it asks for a promo code, enter GMT75
  4. After 15 days, you will get $25 on the sending account and $25 on the family member's account that did the referral. (total bonus through referrals is $50)
  5. After 6 weeks, you will get $75 on the sending account
  6. --> total value of $125 credited

Option 2: get $100 for sending $100
  1. For this promo, you also need a Simplii Financial Account that hasn't sent a GMT before.
  2. Get a referral link from someone else.
  3. Use their referral link to send your transfer (at least $100) and when it asks for a promo code, enter GMT75
  4. After 15 days, you will get $25 on your account and another $75 after 6 weeks
  5. --> total value of $100 credited

Option 3: get $75 for sending $100
  1. For this promo, you just need to have your own Simplii Financial Account (like before, can't have sent a GMT from it).
  2. Send a transfer of $100 and when it asks for a promo code, enter GMT75
  3. After 6 weeks, you will be credited $75
  4. --> total value of $75 credited

Important points: Simplii does not officially advertise GMT75 but several users have reported back that it worked so it seems like a safe bet at this point. However, because it's not advertised, there is still a slight element of YMMV. If you want to play it safe, you can enter GMT50 for your promo code (but this will only give you $50).

You won't be able to get the bonus if you have already used Simplii's GMT system in the past

It is best to use the referral link with ad-blockers off (if you use them) or the system may not register the referral and you would need to follow up with the bank manually a few weeks later.

I actually find that Simplii's rates are better or the same as places like Transferwise (despite banks usually having poor exchange rates). I use Simplii to send money internationally regularly because of their rates (which are good for the countries I usually send to)

Additional info: You can see past threads for related promos here:
Simpli's GMT50 promo that gave you $50 for sending $100: simplii-get-50-when-you-send-your-first ... d-2375276/
CIBC's GMT75 that gave you $75 for sending $100: cibc-cibc-global-money-transfer-now-75-bonus-2378597/

What if you don't have a foreign account to send to:
In that case, you can set up an account with Transferwise https://transferwise.com/ca and click "open a USD (American Dollar) balance."

You initially need to load on $20 USD (or the equivalent amount or Canadian dollars) to start receiving money. Once you upload $20, Transferwise will give you USD banking details (just like a real bank account).

Then, you can send the $100 from Simplii to this Transferwise account to qualify for Simplii's bonus. Once it is in your Transferwise, you can send all the money back to Simplii (including the $20 you uploaded to start).

This whole process incurs about does incur about $5 of fees but you still come out ahead in the end. You can also reduce the Transferwise fees a bit by using a Transferwise referral link when you sign up which will give you one free transfer. It sounds pretty complicated reading it here but Transferwise's website is laid out really nicely so it ends up being much simpler.

Bonus: You can follow the same steps for CIBC bank. (same promo code GMT75). CIBC officially advertised the GMT75 promo and it was discuessed in this thread: cibc-cibc-global-money-transfer-now-75-bonus-2378597/
Last edited by DrDoomsday on Aug 15th, 2020 4:16 pm, edited 14 times in total.
178 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
7708 posts
9687 upvotes
cgtlky wrote: Repost, the $50 and $75 already mention in this thread simplii-get-50-when-you-send-your-first ... d-2375276/
This new thread gives actual breakdowns as to how to take advantage of the deal vs the older thread which essentially just notifies you of the deal.

"Thanks OP for putting in the work with all the details" would've been a better comment.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1093 posts
369 upvotes
cgtlky wrote: Repost, the $50 and $75 already mention in this thread simplii-get-50-when-you-send-your-first ... d-2375276/
Thanks for mentioning that. The $75 was only mentioned anecdotally in there so I think lots of people are missing it and going for $50. I included the link to that thread for anyone that wants to read through it.

Interestingly though, that thread only started discussing the $75 promo after I removed this initial post back in May since not enough people had actually verified that they received the bonus.
May 19, 2017
521 posts
350 upvotes
I made 2 global money transfer at the same day. One from CIBC, one from Simplii. I received $25 referral fee on Simplii a week after.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1093 posts
369 upvotes
GBUalways wrote: I made 2 global money transfer at the same day. One from CIBC, one from Simplii. I received $25 referral fee on Simplii a week after.
That's good. If you don't get it, use live chat to follow up. I got my promo code bonus within the 6 weeks but had had to follow up on live chat to get my friend referral bonus.

Some reps may ask you to call. Just tell them to put in a ticket/request and the appropriate team will follow up to apply the credit a week or two later.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8004 posts
2340 upvotes
Toronto
DrDoomsday wrote: Thanks for mentioning that. The $75 was only mentioned anecdotally in there so I think lots of people are missing it and going for $50. I included the link to that thread for anyone that wants to read through it.

Interestingly though, that thread only started discussing the $75 promo after I removed this initial post back in May since not enough people had actually verified that they received the bonus.
It is missing the GMT75, but lot of them including me did not wait but just trigger and later realized “oh i should have waited...”. Lol
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2013
1958 posts
1277 upvotes
Toronto
Yup. Thanks to OP I was able to get 75.
Mar 15, 2010
78 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
What could be "Purpose of transfer" for sending to Family? It seems there is nothing in drop down for personal reason?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
1112 posts
164 upvotes
donghwi wrote: What could be "Purpose of transfer" for sending to Family? It seems there is nothing in drop down for personal reason?
I tried to find something like gift. End up just pick first selection..cash management
Mar 15, 2010
78 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
skywalker wrote: I tried to find something like gift. End up just pick first selection..cash management
Thanks. It seems that is only one I could choose too.
May 19, 2017
521 posts
350 upvotes
If you get an error message when clicking the “Get Referral Link” button, make sure to accept the T&C first, even you have no intention to send any money. After accepting it, you can then generate the referral link for your family and friends to use.
Jun 8, 2019
510 posts
603 upvotes
Well I had to call them and jump through several hoops even for the GMT50. I bet the GMT 75 would be an excuse for them to shut me down earlier in the process.
I own a service with Public Mobile and with Fido.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1093 posts
369 upvotes
donghwi wrote: What could be "Purpose of transfer" for sending to Family? It seems there is nothing in drop down for personal reason?
I choose "Donation or Gift" (but in my case, I actually just send money to a charity but for your case, I would also think that one)
Mar 15, 2010
78 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
How do I know I applied code? I think I did but can't find it from the status.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2018
1876 posts
2279 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Got $50 on the previous promo. $25 referral bonus was deposited in 2 weeks, the rest of the promo bonus was deposited in 5 weeks.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2015
2133 posts
1932 upvotes
Ontario
So if I did this with a family member, could we both do Option 1 with each other and end up with $250 total?
Virgin Plus ($35/20GB for 15 months)
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4618 posts
4052 upvotes
Toronto
I was hoping I could send to my USD account, but it's at CIBC Canada so no luck with that. Will have to check in with a friend in the US.
May 19, 2017
521 posts
350 upvotes
torontotim wrote: I was hoping I could send to my USD account, but it's at CIBC Canada so no luck with that. Will have to check in with a friend in the US.
You could open a USD with Transferwise.
May 4, 2018
433 posts
275 upvotes
torontotim wrote: I was hoping I could send to my USD account, but it's at CIBC Canada so no luck with that. Will have to check in with a friend in the US.
I opened a transferwise account for a USD account and sent the money there.