• Oct 24th, 2019 11:47 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1577 posts
2008 upvotes

Simultaneously doing credit checks with Transunion and Equifax

I got Transunion's Online Consumer Disclosure last week and discovered I had a soft pull from Coast Capital Savings when I applied for a chequing account. Which is odd because they also did a hard pull with Equifax.

I want to apply for the Rogers World Elite Mastercard and I've read they pull from Transunion. While I've only have one hard pull in the last year on Transunion, I have several more on Equifax. So I'm concerned that Rogers, in addition to doing a hard pull on Transunion, will also do a soft pull on Equifax, akin to Coast Capital Savings. They may decide I've had too many recent Equifax hard pulls and decline my application.

How common is it for a financial institution to do a hard pull with one agency and a soft pull with the other? Does Rogers specifically do this? Should I delay my Rogers application until my Equifax hard pulls have aged more, or am I worried unnecessarily?
2 replies
Aug 17, 2006
506 posts
451 upvotes
someweirdo wrote: I got Transunion's Online Consumer Disclosure last week and discovered I had a soft pull from Coast Capital Savings when I applied for a chequing account. Which is odd because they also did a hard pull with Equifax.

I want to apply for the Rogers World Elite Mastercard and I've read they pull from Transunion. While I've only have one hard pull in the last year on Transunion, I have several more on Equifax. So I'm concerned that Rogers, in addition to doing a hard pull on Transunion, will also do a soft pull on Equifax, akin to Coast Capital Savings. They may decide I've had too many recent Equifax hard pulls and decline my application.

How common is it for a financial institution to do a hard pull with one agency and a soft pull with the other? Does Rogers specifically do this? Should I delay my Rogers application until my Equifax hard pulls have aged more, or am I worried unnecessarily?
You are overthinking it. Can't speak for Rogers but even if you got denied for hard pull your credit score may drop but likely recover with a month or two. No big deal. And if you do get denied then you know you are close to your credit eligibility. Short story, if your scores are at least 700+ you likely won't have any problems. The only CC who hard pulls BOTH is PC Financial. Not sure about a mixture of soft and hard pulls...never worried about those.
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11665 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
Coast was more than likely using TransUnion’s identity verification system, which seems to be superior to Equifax’s.
That’s more than likely what the soft pull was from.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)