Hot Deals

[Sinemia] $29.99/month for 1 movie a day! 30 movies per month!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2018 10:05 am
Thread Summary
Can we please delete this thread?
229 replies
May 5, 2016
290 posts
269 upvotes
You can't take this company seriously, for all we know they'll add a $5 "selection" fee for each movie or some shit like that in the middle of your membership. Even their existing memberships are no longer worth it, we should be telling RFD'ers to stay away, not get even more people trapped in this scam.
Nov 22, 2012
62 posts
75 upvotes
Markham
azorahai wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 10:29 am
You can't take this company seriously, for all we know they'll add a $5 "selection" fee for each movie or some shit like that in the middle of your membership. Even their existing memberships are no longer worth it, we should be telling RFD'ers to stay away not get even more people trapped with this scam.
The $5.00 "convenience" fees are coming.

Who's going to pay $360 a year to go and watch a movie whenever they want anyways? Doubt anyone is really going to watch more than four a month. Which will come to $7.50 a movie + whatever fee they decide to charge you.

This is not a deal.
Oct 19, 2010
176 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
Hot deal for when you want to watch 30 movies in a month
Mar 4, 2014
423 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
Their funding this with the $1.99 processing scam charge they started.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
1205 posts
294 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Can't even find the time to go once a month
May 5, 2016
290 posts
269 upvotes
DoganS wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 10:32 am
The $5.00 "convenience" fees are coming.

Who's going to pay $360 a year to go and watch a movie whenever they want anyways? Doubt anyone is really going to watch more than four a month. Which will come to $7.50 a movie + whatever fee they decide to charge you.

This is not a deal.
I don't know if you're aware of the context of my post, they're just introduced a $2.00 "processing fee" for each movie. Think about what kind of a company this is, when they do that even to people who have already paid for their annual memberships.
Apr 28, 2017
868 posts
789 upvotes
Sinemia is a scam company. No one should use them
Nov 22, 2012
62 posts
75 upvotes
Markham
azorahai wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 10:47 am
I don't know if you're aware of the context of my post, they're just introduced a $2.00 "processing fee" for each movie. Think about what kind of a company this is, when they do that even to people who have already paid for their annual memberships.
I'm pretty up to date on the other Sinemia thread, I paid not realizing it would be billed annually. Then they introduced the convenience fee when THEY failed to produce cards to the people who purchased the memberships, it's not the consumers fault they couldn't produce and send the cards out and are forcing us to use the app and pay the fee. Just a horrible all-around experience that has been getting worse. They had no issue charging us the day we purchased it even though some of us went months without the ability to use their service..
Mar 4, 2014
423 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
Can’t Sinemia be reported to some regulatory body in Canada to dispute these changes and charges?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
2885 posts
2200 upvotes
Toronto
Boomer23 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 11:38 am
Can’t Sinemia be reported to some regulatory body in Canada to dispute these changes and charges?
with any company, there is a part at the bottom that says they can change anything at any time.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
14985 posts
5532 upvotes
Oakville
Nexzen wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 2:31 pm
with any company, there is a part at the bottom that says they can change anything at any time.
Of course, just because that's there, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's always legally enforceable (this is no comment on Sinemia specifically, more as a general statement).

Speaking about Sinemia in general - it's no surprise that that they're struggling. MoviePass tried the same thing in the US, and they are dying. It's a good idea, in theory, to try to capitalize on high movie costs with a business model like this... But in practice it seems to never work out as planned (to me it feels like a ponzi scheme that is bound to collapse once all their investors' money runs out).
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Mar 4, 2014
423 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
Nexzen wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 2:31 pm
I’m sure there’s laws against this, otherwise everyone would be increasing fees as they wished. There was no communication, and it went from no fee to $0.99 and now $1.99.
Dec 6, 2010
397 posts
67 upvotes
Luckily I was able to get my money back with the chargeback because I couldnt use the service!
Dec 4, 2008
723 posts
314 upvotes
Sinemia has some extremely shady practices. Just off the top of my head:

1) You can't use the membership referral credit as a partial payment towards your monthly membership plan (or annually). It has to be enough to cover the full amount. E.g. my plan is $10.99/month, I have to have $10.99 (or more) in credit. You get $5 per member referred... currently sitting at $5.
2) If you have the physical card (as far as my research can tell), they've added a $0.99 'processing/merchant fee' if you book using premium. I have a physical card. Why? I don't know.
3) Oh and, for whatever reason, you apparently cannot 'convert' your account from physical to virtual card. You have to cancel your account entirely and sign up again. I'm on a month-to-month plan and .. I think it's quite frankly hilarious to trust that they'll be around in a year (or won't have nerfed their plans to oblivion like MoviePass has).

Virtual Card users also apparently don't have their Scene cards clawed back because Cineplex seemingly has issues detecting if the card is 'from Sinemia'.

I have the 2 movie/month plan billed month to month from way back when... if these shenanigans keep up I will cancel my membership. Getting more and more frustrating.

Now they want people to give them $30 * 12 + tax upfront... lol.