Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Sinemia

Sinemia promo for 2 tickets from $9.99 mth, including premium showings (similar to MoviePass)

Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2003
1142 posts
288 upvotes
Markham
total BS but i am ok to upload a pic of drivers license with signature and DL# blacked out...
Sandviper
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
2460 posts
2961 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What happens if you do not have a driver's license? What's another card to use?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2003
1142 posts
288 upvotes
Markham
Has anyone in ON tried using OHIP card for id Verification blacking out sig and OHIP #?
Sandviper
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
2460 posts
2961 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sandviper wrote: Has anyone in ON tried using OHIP card for id Verification blacking out sig and OHIP #?
I submitted an ohip card for verification just an hour ago.

Used the green ohip card with picture (not the old non-pic cards). Blocked out with duct tape the OHIP # and BOTH sigs (one under each picture). So all that is left is black/white photo, name, DOB, issue/exp date. Let's hope that works
Apr 27, 2017
22 posts
13 upvotes
did roughly same thing earlier think my photo of me + card might have been a bit too close though, we'll see not use to taking picture with my phone.
but erased sig etc on ohip card in paint instead.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
3401 posts
715 upvotes
Toronto
eugene_2005 wrote: Just don't come up with any figure. Tell dispute department that you are unable to use service you paid for. That you contacted them numerous times via web form (there is not even email for support) and got no answer. You need all of this just because by credit card company dispute rules you need to display that you did everything you could to resolve the issue with the company and only after that you can request a refund. Anyway tell dispute department this story and initiate a charge back.
In my case my CC was canceled. It was 4 months after I paid Sinemia and I got a refund for remaining 7 months.
Thanks for sharing the info. What CC you have if you don't mind I ask? Hopefully, the charge-back process is easy for most of the banks. The bigger banks should be easier (I hope).
Aug 13, 2006
894 posts
727 upvotes
Ottawa
albundy99999999 wrote: Thanks for sharing the info. What CC you have if you don't mind I ask?
MBNA master card. It was already cancelled at the time I requested refund.
Jun 9, 2007
116 posts
77 upvotes
Richmond, BC
fivemonthslater wrote: did roughly same thing earlier think my photo of me + card might have been a bit too close though, we'll see not use to taking picture with my phone.
but erased sig etc on ohip card in paint instead.

I think the photo of me holding the card might have been a little bit too close as well.

In hindsight, it's an uneasy feeling having to send them a picture of myself. But then again, we are in 2019 and in a world of social media frenzy. A simple google search of my name would have revealed my picture(s) anyways.

At least we had covered up the important information that's on my Drivers License.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2014
1490 posts
703 upvotes
Toronto
Bit the bullet and uploaded an edited version of drivers licence. Covered all but picture, issue date, expiry and height lol. Even blocked out the thin line with info on the far left side. Not renewing with them.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
2656 posts
1738 upvotes
Burnaby
Didn't upload anything (I see the notice in my sinemia account on the website but nothing in-app) but was still able to check-in for a movie today (although I had purchased the ticket last week)

Anyhow, I've already cancelled the Sinemia plan via the website - I'm on a monthly plan so no way was I gonna renew after they pulled this crap
Feb 2, 2019
88 posts
47 upvotes
kooltilltheen wrote: I've tried this before and as you expected, they won't refund you anything. Furthermore, they won't even cancel your account - they'll simply direct you to their website to cancel it yourself

Same goes for any processing fees charged (even if you ended up canceling the ticket or not watching the movie) - it won't be refunded

The company's shady as hell and is simply looking for ways to milk as much money out of you as possible - you can bet your socks that this ID crap is merely for them to sell your personal info on the blackmarket or on the dark web and little else
I love the way you think, I also think this could be a way to scam people. Wait 'till they have plenty of subscription, then suddenly start enforcing this ID verification rule..

Either way, i found the following link to be a great read. I plan on filing a complaint with the commissioner, and i HIGHLY SUGGEST everyone on here do the same. We as Canadians shouldnt accept this type of behavior, and in my opinion it should be illegal to ask for this information in the first place. Even if it is a highly reputable company like Amazon is asking, what is stopping a super hacker from getting our info from Amazon?

https://www.priv.gc.ca/media/2025/guide_edl_e.pdf
Apr 8, 2018
17 posts
14 upvotes
I was willing to keep renewing even with all of the nonsense this year, but ID is where it ends for me.

It is too bad because I have really enjoyed the year, despite issues. I am lucky because I am only losing my last month for the year.

Sinemia has been insane in the last few weeks. They give me/some of us an extra movie (One that they stole from me and wouldn't answer any email or Twitter post/DM about it, multiple inquiries) . And then last week they take it away after offering it - with no explanation of course. And then when I cancel I suddenly have two extra movies to use. Not taking the chance of using them in case there is no check-in. Big fat sigh.

I would love to see their headquarters. I imagine such hysterical scenarios. Someone get on it pronto!
Last edited by litatamon on Feb 23rd, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 2, 2019
88 posts
47 upvotes
adclker wrote: can we all report this company to https://cbc.ca/news/gopublic
i am tried of their tricks

why does chrome think that attackers may be stealing my identity when i click your link?...

but yeah, lets report them to both cbc and the commissioner on my previous link
Oct 11, 2017
144 posts
110 upvotes
Vancouver
prontonguy wrote: why does chrome think that attackers may be stealing my identity when i click your link?...

but yeah, lets report them to both cbc and the commissioner on my previous link
updated the link
missing the www, their website ssl cert setup isn't smart enough
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
3579 posts
2985 upvotes
Markham
litatamon wrote: I would love to see their headquarters. I imagine such hysterical scenarios. Someone get on it pronto!
3810395216_c9949db905_z.jpg

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Dec 28, 2010
142 posts
119 upvotes
Ottawa
kooltilltheen wrote: Didn't upload anything (I see the notice in my sinemia account on the website but nothing in-app) but was still able to check-in for a movie today (although I had purchased the ticket last week)

Anyhow, I've already cancelled the Sinemia plan via the website - I'm on a monthly plan so no way was I gonna renew after they pulled this crap
Similar situation here, but got blocked when I tried to book a movie, so I just cancelled because I don't trust them. I was struggling to find movies worth watching anyway, particularly this month.
Dec 7, 2005
358 posts
100 upvotes
Halifax
I joined start of April last year so subscription is still good but decided to cancel as there is no way I'm giving them photo ID and I calculated I'm ahead currently anyway.

Here is the thing, Netflix nor Amazon (prime video?) require photo id to use their services "as to prevent abuse" so why do they think they need to. I don't buy the whole credit card processing BS they gave on that business insider article.

My gut tells me they will fold on this in a month or two as I'm sure cancellations are going to pile up.
Oct 11, 2017
144 posts
110 upvotes
Vancouver
Hooped wrote: I joined start of April last year so subscription is still good but decided to cancel as there is no way I'm giving them photo ID and I calculated I'm ahead currently anyway.

Here is the thing, Netflix nor Amazon (prime video?) require photo id to use their services "as to prevent abuse" so why do they think they need to. I don't buy the whole credit card processing BS they gave on that business insider article.

My gut tells me they will fold on this in a month or two as I'm sure cancellations are going to pile up.
yeah, what are they thinking? do they want businesses or cancellations?

At the beginning (a year ago), I was guessing with my friends about how they profit from this kinda business. We thought they might have strong tie or deep partnership with movie theatres like cineplex. Just until few months ago when they are promoting on Yahoo Finance, and they said they are modeling their business like a gym membership. I was pretty speechless.

I guess it turns out that people are not lazy for movies. The point is, how can they find different excuses and also changing T&C to anything they want at anytime? I cant believe this kinda company exist in US/Canada.
It is just too bad the amount is too small that we cannot do anything about it.
Seriously, we need some authority to take them down.

Ironically, they were even sending out promotion emails 2 weeks ago for something like 30% off on sinemia giftcards, and now they are blocking everyone from using it. Face With Tears Of Joy