Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Sinemia] Sinemia promo for 2 tickets from $9.99 mth, including premium showings (similar to MoviePass)

Sep 15, 2008
81 posts
4 upvotes
Hello,

I'm debating to join the Sinemia club and wondering if anyone has experience using this service at the new Cineplex at Pickering Town Centre? From the Sinemia site the theatre is not listed, but "Famous Players Pickering 6 Cinemas" is listed (which no longer exists).

Thanks...
Oct 10, 2018
17 posts
6 upvotes
has anyone been able to apply your gift cards to your existing monthly membership (month to month) without any change in your monthly plan rate?

can you extend it anytime or you have to wait till the last day of your monthly plan before you extend?
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
1657 posts
1434 upvotes
Toronto
The sale price under the new promo "blockbustersale" and also comes with an increased Initiation Fee to join with a monthly subscription. Unless they raised it recently and I didn't notice? That fee is now $29.99 instead of $19.99 for most monthly plans except the one movie a day plan, which increased from $29.99 to $39.99. Ouch.
Mar 13, 2018
218 posts
99 upvotes
silverele wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:28 pm
The sale price under the new promo "blockbustersale" and also comes with an increased Initiation Fee to join with a monthly subscription. Unless they raised it recently and I didn't notice? That fee is now $29.99 instead of $19.99 for most monthly plans except the one movie a day plan, which increased from $29.99 to $39.99. Ouch.
Wow, & I was going to praise the sale code.

I signed up in March 2018 at $9.99/month

Just checked today and the Blockbuster code made my annual fee $8.99/month for 12 months.

WOOP WOOP. Just signed on for another year!

hErE wE gOoOoOoOoOoOoOo!i!i!

EDIT: Also, Sinemia states the plans come with "joyful surprises"... is that what they call the fees that they introduced? Face With Tears Of Joy

Sinemia if you're reading this, I'm sorry. Don't bring in any more new fees. We know you read this thread. xoxo
Images
  • 20190117_213100.jpg
  • Screenshot_20190117-200916_Chrome.jpg
Nov 20, 2017
401 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
kooltilltheen wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 6:03 pm
Buy advance ticket on Sinemia app for a movie this week (or next), go to the cinema and swap ticket to Captain Marvel and then just make sure you check-in in the Sinemia app on the day/time you purchased the original ticket
Do you have to choose the exact time and date of the movie e.g. captain marvel when you swap or the ticket can be used for any date/time?
Mar 31, 2017
601 posts
222 upvotes
Vancouver
EananC641158 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:19 pm
Do you have to choose the exact time and date of the movie e.g. captain marvel when you swap or the ticket can be used for any date/time?
You have to choose exact time/date + your seat for the movie when swapping

In other words, its an actual movie ticket, not a voucher - that said, you might even be able to swap for a voucher but that's def YMMV and would vary based on your cinema's T&C I presume
Mar 31, 2009
150 posts
127 upvotes
Soviet Canuckistan
NetBOG wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 8:47 pm
I've never had a single payment issue using Atom or Landmark, so ya, I'd say there's a 99% chance the issue is on Cineplex' side. And at least a 75% chance it's entirely on purpose.
I concur. I never had payment issues at Landmark Theatres, or using Atomtickets when I regularly did at Cineplex. Then they slapped me with a misuse fee, and magically - everything has worked every time since I paid that, including the movie check-ins; almost like someone flipped a switch.. :rolleyes:
Oct 29, 2014
797 posts
477 upvotes
Brampton, ON
AlliiMariie wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:47 pm

Wow, & I was going to praise the sale code.

I signed up in March 2018 at $9.99/month

Just checked today and the Blockbuster code made my annual fee $8.99/month for 12 months.

WOOP WOOP. Just signed on for another year!

hErE wE gOoOoOoOoOoOoOo!i!i!

EDIT: Also, Sinemia states the plans come with "joyful surprises"... is that what they call the fees that they introduced? Face With Tears Of Joy

Sinemia if you're reading this, I'm sorry. Don't bring in any more new fees. We know you read this thread. xoxo
When I check my membership renewal page, the promo code that's currently in there is OscarSale. It looks pretty good with an Elite (2 movie tickets) plan for $8.99 CAD per month. However, my yearly membership doesn't expire until June so I'm not sure if I want to pay this far in advance for another year of service. I've already more than gotten my money's worth but I have concerns about Sinemia's business model and longevity. However, if Sinemia allows their gift cards to be used with promo codes for subscriptions, buying one of those at 30% off and then using it for a discounted plan would save even more money. I have doubts about this because Sinemia mentions the following point about gift cards in their terms and conditions.

28.9 Sinemia gift cards may not be valid for all promos when purchasing Sinemia plans and Sinemia may restrict its use with specific promos.

Interestingly enough, there are reports of the current Sinemia promo working with gift cards according to https://redd.it/ah3mpl.

P.S. You have 35 tabs in Google Chrome, Allii?! That can't be good for your phone's memory. Winking Face
Images
  • Screenshot_20190118-231914.png
Aug 23, 2015
383 posts
264 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
GabbyWC wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 11:34 pm
When I check my membership renewal page, the promo code that's currently in there is OscarSale. It looks pretty good with an Elite (2 movie tickets) plan for $8.99 CAD per month. However, my yearly membership doesn't expire until June so I'm not sure if I want to pay this far in advance for another year of service. I've already more than gotten my money's worth but I have concerns about Sinemia's business model and longevity. However, if Sinemia allows their gift cards to be used with promo codes for subscriptions, buying one of those at 30% off and then using it for a discounted plan would save even more money. I have doubts about this because Sinemia mentions the following point about gift cards in their terms and conditions.

28.9 Sinemia gift cards may not be valid for all promos when purchasing Sinemia plans and Sinemia may restrict its use with specific promos.

Interestingly enough, there are reports of the current Sinemia promo working with gift cards according to https://redd.it/ah3mpl.

P.S. You have 35 tabs in Google Chrome, Allii?! That can't be good for your phone's memory. Winking Face
I signed up for 2 regular tickets per month for $6.99/mo on a yearly plan last summer. They want $7.99/mo to renew on the same plan and $8.99/mo to upgrade to a premium ticket plan.

The theatre I can walk to only does regular movies and the occasional 3D (which I have absolutely zero interest in). I have to drive to get to a theatre that does premium(and it would have to be a Cineplex who is outright hostile to Cinema customers). Is it worth the extra $12 dollars (-30%) for what might be 8 premium movies?
Mar 31, 2017
601 posts
222 upvotes
Vancouver
NetBOG wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 2:12 am
I signed up for 2 regular tickets per month for $6.99/mo on a yearly plan last summer. They want $7.99/mo to renew on the same plan and $8.99/mo to upgrade to a premium ticket plan.

The theatre I can walk to only does regular movies and the occasional 3D (which I have absolutely zero interest in). I have to drive to get to a theatre that does premium(and it would have to be a Cineplex who is outright hostile to Cinema customers). Is it worth the extra $12 dollars (-30%) for what might be 8 premium movies?
Not sure how anyone can answer that for you but here's my take on it anyways:

For me, its absolutely worth it because most movies come out in a premium version (3D, AVX, Dolby Atmos, etc) usually weeks before they show up in a regular edition. As a result, I can watch movies pretty much during their premiere and I don't have to wait for them to be released in a regular version instead.

Furthermore, a number of theaters don't allow seat reservations for regular versions of movies while a premium version always has advanced seat reservations.

As for the Cineplex issue, honestly when you're watching movies worth 25 CAD per ticket for like 5 bucks, losing a few hundred scene points doesn't bother me at all

All that said, if you only have a regular movie theater close to you and it shows all new movies then I probably wouldn't bother with premium plan either if I were you
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
3665 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
I've been out of this for a while, can someone explain how to get the ticket at Cinema without being charged online fee?
I used to have a card that works, but not sure how it works now.

Also asking because sometimes when I book with their card number it fails, and i have to request another one, so what's the best way to avoid that?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
9986 posts
603 upvotes
Mississauga
I got the option to purchase a card but they want $30??? Seems pretty crazy. Would have to see 10 movies (2 person) in order to make that money back, which would be about 5 months.

Has anyone had luck getting back scene points? I noticed that the day of the movie I would get points but then they would be reserves the very next day.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
1657 posts
1434 upvotes
Toronto
Tijuana wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 10:55 am
I got the option to purchase a card but they want $30??? Seems pretty crazy. Would have to see 10 movies (2 person) in order to make that money back, which would be about 5 months.

Has anyone had luck getting back scene points? I noticed that the day of the movie I would get points but then they would be reserves the very next day.
I do not see the option to buy a physical card. Can you tell us where you see that? Up until your post, there have only been evidence of it being available in the US. Are you sure the website didn't switch to the US site instead of Canadian one? It's a slim chance that it would, but just wanted to make sure.

Unfortunately, Cineplex is really good at taking away Scene points and don't give them back. Customer service has smartened up to Sinemia purchases. You can try asking, but they will see you purchased with Sinemia.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
1657 posts
1434 upvotes
Toronto
SuckaB wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 9:29 am
I've been out of this for a while, can someone explain how to get the ticket at Cinema without being charged online fee?
I used to have a card that works, but not sure how it works now.

Also asking because sometimes when I book with their card number it fails, and i have to request another one, so what's the best way to avoid that?
The new physical card is the only way to avoid the processing fee and up until now, it's been given to US customers only. They stopped the old physical cards from working.

If the card fails, wait about 15 to 30 mins and try again. Otherwise there isn't really anything you can do to avoid a bad card.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
3665 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
silverele wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 1:00 pm
The new physical card is the only way to avoid the processing fee and up until now, it's been given to US customers only. They stopped the old physical cards from working.

If the card fails, wait about 15 to 30 mins and try again. Otherwise there isn't really anything you can do to avoid a bad card.
So I still get charged even if I try to buy at the theatre with the app?