• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2019 9:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3637 posts
2265 upvotes

Single digit temps in morning too early to put on winter tires

With temps getting in the mid single digits over night and in the morning. Is it too early to put on winter tires? Everyone here preaches that the rubber on all seasons/summer tires turn hard in single digit temperature.
26 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2763 posts
1763 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Toooooo early.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1070 posts
573 upvotes
Manitoba
I would say single digits daylight temps and zero/negative temps is a good time to switch over but given that it is still October, we can still climb up to doubles (crosses fingers). Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

If you were to get the swap done on shops, I would suggest going earlier to beat the crowd. But if DIY, you can probably wait a month or more.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3637 posts
2265 upvotes
TehRFDAnomaly wrote: I would say single digits daylight temps and zero/negative temps is a good time to switch over but given that it is still October, we can still climb up to doubles (crosses fingers). Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

If you were to get the swap done on shops, I would suggest going earlier to beat the crowd. But if DIY, you can probably wait a month or more.
Going to be a DIY but getting cold fingers outside in the driveway for 2 cars isn't going to be fun. Then got to wash and spray them inside fender wells, wheels, blah blah blah.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13892 posts
8987 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Early November would be ideal.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1070 posts
573 upvotes
Manitoba
cristianosham wrote: Going to be a DIY but getting cold fingers outside in the driveway for 2 cars isn't going to be fun. Then got to wash and spray them inside fender wells, wheels, blah blah blah.
Yeah, and the surprise snow/frozen rain isn't fun too. If you don't drive that much I would pull the trigger just to get it over with.

I'm putting mine early November as wife drives >50km to work although not everyday.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2763 posts
1763 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cristianosham wrote: Going to be a DIY but getting cold fingers outside in the driveway for 2 cars isn't going to be fun. Then got to wash and spray them inside fender wells, wheels, blah blah blah.
Invest in gloves.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3637 posts
2265 upvotes
canoek wrote: Invest in gloves.
I don't know but the feeling and dexterity is just not there. It is like wearing a condom.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2763 posts
1763 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cristianosham wrote: I don't know but the feeling and dexterity is just not there. It is like wearing a condom.
I got the gloves from HomeDepot. The grippy ones with rubbery stuff on the inside and mesh on the outside. They kind of keep you warm and you don't lose much dexterity.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1337 posts
834 upvotes
Toronto
Wait for some consistency in the weather in terms of all-day cold temperature. Right now the late mornings/afternoon is still >10 degrees
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3152 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Still too hot. I usually aim for end of October
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2425 posts
1979 upvotes
Markham
Always did them around US Thanksgiving. Usually snow hasn’t started yet and by then, temps are consistently in the singles.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5456 posts
2988 upvotes
Toronto
If you are getting insurance savings for winter tires, make sure to put em on before the date. Usually Nov 1.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9716 posts
3930 upvotes
Some time in the last 2 weeks of November for me usually.

Occasionally in the first couple weeks if it seems like an early storm may be coming.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2763 posts
1763 upvotes
Toronto, ON
peteryorkuca wrote: If you are getting insurance savings for winter tires, make sure to put em on before the date. Usually Nov 1.
It was Dec 1st for both my last insurers. Always good to check.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
1159 posts
790 upvotes
Nov 1 To April 30 Winter Tires
May 1 To Oct 31 All Season/Summer Tires
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4143 posts
4282 upvotes
GTA
I keep an eye on the forecast. When 7°C falls between the day and night temperatures, I'll make the plans to swap over. As you can see, it's still a bit too warm for them here.
Images
  • Capture1.PNG
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1070 posts
573 upvotes
Manitoba
We had a historic storm last weekend so I changed up last Tuesday when we had ~20c temps and just before the temps dropped to single digits. I must have looked like a loco. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
21378 posts
3350 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I normally wait till mid November myself but I'm getting my breaks replaced tomorrow so I'll just have the mechanic swap the tires when he's doing the that.